Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > HomeBrewTalk Forums > Introductions > Help a newby out!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-04-2012, 09:56 PM   #1
UKFreak
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 23

Default Help a newby out!

Hey, Y'all! Howdy from the Bluegrass State! There's only 3 things we know about here: Fast horses, wild women, and basketball! But this west KY boy is looking to start makin his own brew (not moonshine....KY boy got that covered! LOL) Been a beer lover since back in the old Stroh's era (when it was a really good, fire-brewed beer with character). Now looking to learn the craft from you folks who have already made the mistakes and learned from them. Anybody wanna help a country boy out? Already enjoying reading the forum posts. Can't wiat to get started!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-04-2012, 09:58 PM   #2
Clann
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Welcome to your new obsession.

Hi from Edmonton KY via the Smoky Mountains

Back Nine Brew&Wine
Life don't get better than a beer and a pepper.
What I am brewing is now a mystery

UKFreak Likes This 
Old 06-04-2012, 10:09 PM   #3
Dan
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1858 Times on 1140 Posts
Likes Given: 2630

Welcome to HBT!

Many will help but we can't read your mind. Ask away.

Old 06-04-2012, 10:10 PM   #4
Supurb
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 10 Posts

Welcome - I was down in your state watching I'll have another pull the win. Will be drinking homebrew when he takes the triple !

Old 06-04-2012, 10:17 PM   #5
JerseyJoe
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Hey UKF:
Most anyone would be glad to help if they can. Brewing is the best drinking hobby, bar none (pun intended). You will find the homebrewtalk community ready to help out. I find it easier sometimes to learn by doing. So I located a local homebrew club went to a brew day. That helped me alot, seeing the process in person. They even came over to the homestead and helped me out with my first couple of brews. You can also get a lot of help by using a local home brew shop (LHBS). They are almost always staffed with a well versed home brewer.

Old 06-04-2012, 10:44 PM   #6
sweetcell
Swollen Member
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 616 Times on 456 Posts
Likes Given: 238

welcome!

as others have said, lots of friendly people here to help... but you need to tell us what you need help with. we can't guess what your questions are, so make them explicit.

also, don't forget to hit up the search function (use the box at the top righthand side of every page, inside the beer mug). 99% of questions that you'll have have been answered before. chances are good you'll find the best answers that way.

Drinking: citra saison
Fermenting: a hop-bursted APA w/ Conan, a citra farmhouse with ECY08 & brett blend.
Aging: a bunch of belgian and soured stuff.
Up next: either an imperial stout or something to use up my homegrown hops... TBD.

Old 06-13-2012, 10:54 PM   #7
UKFreak
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 23

Thanks, y'all! Got a local buddy and his dad who have been doing this for awhile and they have been a big help. Also been reading up in the newbie sections. Not a LHBS anywhere near here that I've found (and so says my buddy), but hoping to make a few HB shows that pop up around here from time to time. Haven't started anything yet. Considering the Mr. Beer quick and easy for a first attempt. Read the thread on those, but seem to be varied reviews. Any thoughts from you guys as to the best, most cost-effective way to start?

Old 06-13-2012, 11:57 PM   #8
sweetcell
Swollen Member
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 616 Times on 456 Posts
Likes Given: 238

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKFreak View Post
Any thoughts from you guys as to the best, most cost-effective way to start?
if you want to give it a try before committing, need to prove to yourself that it can be done, don't want to spent more than you have to to get your feet wet, you're not sure how serious you are about getting into this hobby, etc., then i'd say that a mr. beer kit is the perfect place to start. get a couple of batches under your belt, learn the basics, and upgrade when ready. mind you, some folks are perfectly happy making mr beer beer.

if you're pretty sure you're going to get into this hobby, and/or are confident in your abilities to pull it off, and/or aren't going to get discouraged, etc. - then i'd suggest that you get yourself some bucket fermentors and some extract kits.

there is a lot to be learned from mr. beer kits, but almost everyone outgrows them. so it's a question of how much that "growing" phase is worth to you. *personally*, i bugs me to spend money on something that i know i'm going to have to replace. i started with carboys and liquid yeast after doing a lot of reading (both books and this forum), but i'm kind of obsessive so this approach suited my personality. might not suit yours.

Drinking: citra saison
Fermenting: a hop-bursted APA w/ Conan, a citra farmhouse with ECY08 & brett blend.
Aging: a bunch of belgian and soured stuff.
Up next: either an imperial stout or something to use up my homegrown hops... TBD.
UKFreak Likes This 
Old 06-14-2012, 12:48 AM   #9
wilserbrewer
Vendor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 9 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 396 Times on 338 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetcell View Post
i'd suggest that you get yourself some bucket fermentors and some extract kits.
Ditto this above...rather than a mr. beer, my vote would be to merely get a bucket and an aextract kit...doesn't take much equipment at all if you are the least bit handy. Brewers make the beer...the equipment just makes it easier. I love the old expression the a talented brewer could make beer in his hat. Dive in and cheers!

Expert tailor and supplier of custom sized, top quality BIAB bags, hop bags and ratchet pulleys at reasonable pricing

http://biabbags.webs.com

CORONA MILL BUCKET SYSTEM V. 2.0
Dan Likes This 
Old 06-14-2012, 12:56 AM   #10
punkerdru
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilserbrewer

Ditto this above...rather than a mr. beer, my vote would be to merely get a bucket and an aextract kit...doesn't take much equipment at all if you are the least bit handy. Brewers make the beer...the equipment just makes it easier. I love the old expression the a talented brewer could make beer in his hat. Dive in and cheers!
This. If you like beer like I do, in a month or two you'll be drooling over the brewstands here and wondering just how cheaply you could make a 30 gallon setup, and trying to find a beer that your wife likes so she is OK with you spending every Saturday cracking grain and boiling in the driveway.

As they say around here, welcome to the obsession!

Quick Reply