Hello from Northeast MO

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

proton

Reaction score
Greetings from flyover country, homebrew people. I've been at it for about a year now, brewing about a batch a month, sticking with ales so far.

Lately I've been doing mini-mashes, which seem to go pretty well--I've been using the cooler setup described in that BYO article from last year. Most of my beers turn out pretty good, though I actually discoverd my first truly infected batch just last week and well, blah, blah, blah, beer, beer, beer. I'll whine about that somewhere else.

Anyway, this forum is mighty fine! (I've been lurking for like 6 months) Loads of experience and ideas abound.

--Proton

I'm up in Kirksville. Any good homebrew supply places in Columbia? We have a small place called the Greed Door here that stocks some stuff, but I mainly order online.

HomebrewHeaven out of Wash St. has real nice hops.
My Miami outlet, Hearts Homebrew does not.
Both online.
Shipping on hops, Miami or Wa is same - online is the way to go - for me.

my first truly infected batch just last week and well, blah, blah, blah, beer, beer, beer. I'll whine about that ...
To my experience infected beer is very rare and a bummer.
If youre useing plastic bucket w' lid, throw em out and go ..don't want to sound like an ad. but I bought two 6gal BetterBottles and so far so good - I truly cannot count how many galss carboys I have broken and 'twas a bucket that spoiled a perfect career.

I generally ferment in glass--but based on my smell-tests I infected this one while dry-hopping in the secondary. I must not have properly sanitized the muslin sack or the marbles that I used to weight it down. It smelled and tasted great (it's a light golden ale) until about a week after the dry hop, when it picked up this cidery acidity--mild, but just wrong enough to make the beer pretty unsatisfying. Luckily, I have lots of friends who would drink Sterno if I made it available, so the batch won't go to waste. And it's really my first infection out of around a dozen batches, so I'll chalk it up to a learning experience.

proton said:
I'm up in Kirksville. Any good homebrew supply places in Columbia? We have a small place called the Greed Door here that stocks some stuff, but I mainly order online.

Nothing much down here either. A store called Cool Stuff, has some supplies, but its limited and overpriced. I mainly order online as well. Sorry to here about the infection, I haven't had one yet..........:ban: Knocks on Wood

Hello, I'm from Kentucky and I would like to learn all I can about home brewering before I make my first batch.

roesso

Nice to see some people from around the "neighborhood" on here. I am not from MO, I am from IA but lived about a mile from the line. Did a lot of running around Lancaster, Greentop, Moberly, and Kirksville. I did a lot of ATV riding at Fingerlake outside of Columbia and a bit at Chadwick. I love MO and wish I could find a nice enough job to move down that way. Maybe someday. Welcome to HBT! You should be able to find all of the answers you need here.:mug: :rockin:

Back