Hello from a newby into the idea of making his own cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CalamityAl

Reaction score
Good afternoon everyone. My what a great forum we have here. I have signed up to try and get some advice on cider making, as in this part of the world 'proper cider' seems to be hard to come by!

Other interests include classic VW's and er, well thats about it! :)

Welcome.

To begin with, you can simply ferment store-bought apple juice without preservatives (I prefer a blend of Koelsch and California Ale yeast - WLP 060 should get you close). This produces a pleasant beverage after about 4 weeks or so.
From there, you can go to adding various adjuncts like additional fermentables (honey, sugars, etc), flavoring agents (acids, tannins), and even source your own varietal apple juice from orchards to blend and ferment as you perfect your cider/apple wine.

Good luck!

Welcome.

To begin with, you can simply ferment store-bought apple juice without preservatives (I prefer a blend of Koelsch and California Ale yeast - WLP 060 should get you close). This produces a pleasant beverage after about 4 weeks or so.
From there, you can go to adding various adjuncts like additional fermentables (honey, sugars, etc), flavoring agents (acids, tannins), and even source your own varietal apple juice from orchards to blend and ferment as you perfect your cider/apple wine.

Good luck!

Cheers, I have actually already juiced around 20 pounds of apples. What next, should i add yeast and sugar? How long should I ferment it for?

Cheers

Al

Cheers, I have actually already juiced around 20 pounds of apples. What next, should i add yeast and sugar? How long should I ferment it for?

Cheers

Al

Welcome :mug:
Just add yeast and see how it comes out.
You shouldn't need to add any sugar.
I'll just warn you, it will come out pretty dry, not anything like the store bought stuff.

Back