Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > HomeBrewTalk Forums > Introductions > Hello folks!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-01-2012, 12:58 AM   #1
Keithcrash
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 11

Default Hello folks!

Hello Homebrew Talk! I'm Keith. I'm brand new to homebrewing. I've just moved to Portland Oregon and I love beer. Seeing that everyone I've met in Portland is either a homebrewer or knows someone that is a homebrewer, I had to give it a try.

My first batch was a partial grain stout. I learned two things after making my first successful beer. One, people can actually MAKE beer. At home even. And two, I freaking love making beer at home.

Man, I have caught the bug. Now, all I think about is making beer. I have all kinds of questions about it and I find myself on Google looking up all kinds of things. In my Googling, I was inevitably brought to a post on Homebrew Talk with the answer to whatever question I had. And that is why I am here. You guys know your stuff and I want to be apart of this amazing community.

So, thank you for answering the silly questions I've had and I am looking forward to chatting with you all.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-01-2012, 01:20 AM   #2
KISS Brew
Recipes 

Liked 50 Times on 34 Posts

Welcome to the addiction. You should have no problem finding people interested in beer and homebrewing in Portland, although beware the beer snobs.

Most of my homebrew Googling at this point includes the keyword "homebrewtalk", since most relevant results are here anyway

Bottled:
Hoptoberfest IPA, Oktoberfest Ale, Blonde Ale, Scottish Ale, Oatmeal Stout, Edwort's Apfelwein, Janet's Brown Ale, Irish Red Ale, Strawberry Wheat, ESB, Belgian Pale Ale

KISS Brew Homebrewing Blog

Most recent post: Beyond the Pale Ale Recipe
Keithcrash Likes This 
Old 08-01-2012, 01:51 AM   #3
Keithcrash
Recipes 

Much appreciated KISS. Yea, I've seen some of the snobbery already. But more then that, I've seen a real passion for brewing too. That has been amazing to experience.

On a side note, I moved to Portland from Chattanooga. I spent quite a lot of time in Athens going to see live music and drink interesting beer. I was not all that interested in homebrewing at the time so I didn't have an opportunity to gauge how prevalent it was in the area. Is there a community of homebrewers in the Athens area?

Old 08-01-2012, 01:53 AM   #4
KISS Brew
Recipes 

Liked 50 Times on 34 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keithcrash View Post
Is there a community of homebrewers in the Athens area?
Yes, although I'm not really involved. I'm a graduate student, and between studying and my own beer projects, I have precious little time.

It's funny, I moved here from Eureka, CA about a year ago, so we switched coasts. I think you got the better end of the deal, though. I can't wait to move back to the Pacific NW.

Bottled:
Hoptoberfest IPA, Oktoberfest Ale, Blonde Ale, Scottish Ale, Oatmeal Stout, Edwort's Apfelwein, Janet's Brown Ale, Irish Red Ale, Strawberry Wheat, ESB, Belgian Pale Ale

KISS Brew Homebrewing Blog

Most recent post: Beyond the Pale Ale Recipe

Old 08-01-2012, 02:00 AM   #5
passedpawn
Waste Allocation Load Lifter - Earth Class
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 3177 Times on 1984 Posts
Likes Given: 2698

Great first post Keith. See you 'round the campus.

Old 08-01-2012, 02:15 AM   #6
Keithcrash
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by KISS Brew View Post
Yes, although I'm not really involved. I'm a graduate student, and between studying and my own beer projects, I have precious little time.

It's funny, I moved here from Eureka, CA about a year ago, so we switched coasts. I think you got the better end of the deal, though. I can't wait to move back to the Pacific NW.
That is very cool. What are you studying?

What's even funnier is, I moved to Chattanooga from Olympia WA. Like you, I was a transplanted Pacific Northwesterner, living in the South, longing to go home. I was out there for about 4 years before coming back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by passedpawn View Post
Great first post Keith. See you 'round the campus.
Thanks Passedpawn!

Old 08-01-2012, 02:30 AM   #7
jehowe
Recipes 

I'm right there with you Keith. After a 20 year hiatus I'm all in- today I put my second batch in three weeks into the fermenter and brought home a 5gal corny kit from the local brew shop. Making beer is a blast and oh so rewarding. Enjoy that stout!

Old 08-01-2012, 07:45 AM   #8
Keithcrash
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jehowe View Post
I'm right there with you Keith. After a 20 year hiatus I'm all in- today I put my second batch in three weeks into the fermenter and brought home a 5gal corny kit from the local brew shop. Making beer is a blast and oh so rewarding. Enjoy that stout!
Hey thanks Jehowe. What was this second batch you made?

Yea, making beer is amazing.

Old 08-01-2012, 08:33 AM   #9
Jaybird
Vendor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
HomeBrewTalk 2012 Vendor Giveaway Participate
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 275 Times on 198 Posts
Likes Given: 94

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keithcrash View Post
Much appreciated KISS. Yea, I've seen some of the snobbery already. But more then that, I've seen a real passion for brewing too. That has been amazing to experience.

On a side note, I moved to Portland from Chattanooga. I spent quite a lot of time in Athens going to see live music and drink interesting beer. I was not all that interested in homebrewing at the time so I didn't have an opportunity to gauge how prevalent it was in the area. Is there a community of homebrewers in the Athens area?
Welcome to the forums Keith.

Can you say Georgia Theater and the 40 Watt club? I was there for 5 years man, during the Blue Monkey days and well before the Ga Theater burned. Man I loved that place! Killer culture in that town for sure!

Cheers
Jay

I have been making custom False Bottoms for just about everything since 2008

Nor Cal Brewing Solutions, Reddings local homebrew store
(530)243-BEER and (530)221-WINE

Still have questions PM me here or hit the website.

http://www.norcalbrewingsolutions.com and like us on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/NorCalBrewingSolutionsfor Facebook only promos too

Old 08-01-2012, 12:02 PM   #10
Keithcrash
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaybird View Post
Welcome to the forums Keith.

Can you say Georgia Theater and the 40 Watt club? I was there for 5 years man, during the Blue Monkey days and well before the Ga Theater burned. Man I loved that place! Killer culture in that town for sure!

Cheers
Jay
Hey thanks Jaybird! I know 40 Watt well. I spent a lot of time there. I didn't go to Georgia Theater often though. 40 Watt played more of what I liked then Georgia Theater did. I've heard talk of the Blue Monkey, but didn't realize there was a scene around it. What was that like?

Yea, I really liked Athens. Before deciding to move back to this area of the country, I considered moving there. I came close to staying in the south and living in Athens rather then moving to Portland.

Quick Reply