Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > HomeBrewTalk Forums > Introductions > Hej from Sverige! American expat brewing like mad man

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-30-2012, 09:40 PM   #1
kzelnio
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Default Hej from Sverige! American expat brewing like mad man

I've been lurking for a couple years off and on and went serious all-grain this summer and haven't looked back. The forums here have been tremendously helpful in getting me started. I am a marine biologist by training but my wife and I decided to escape North Carolina and raise our 2 kids close to family and in one the most family-friendly countries on Earth. I am loving living in Sweden! Any expats here or other swedes on this forum?? We are on the east coast, near Västervik.

I use the ole 20L mash tun cooler and 30L boiling pot set up. My pale ale is to die for. I have porter aging in bottles, coffee stout in secondary, and an amber ale, honey brown ale and MOAR PALE AIL!!! in primaries right now. Tomorrow I plan to ferment some local cider and will give my first hand at a pilsner soon as well as a rye IPA.

So, basically, I live in a small obscenely idyllic swedish village with about 80ish people in a 20km radius. I already have the reputation as the beer guy and people are offering to buy from me (to avoid going 40km to the state-run alcohol monopoly)! So I wrote a business plan and shopping it around right now to hopefully open up a local microbrewery with 200L capacity (4000L/month). Hopefully I'll find a taker!

My beloved pale ale.

Drinking: Honey Brown Ale, Abyssal Coffee Stout, Swedish Bog Ale, RyePA, Småland Harvest Ale | Conditioning: Hafi Hard Cider, Yxnevik Fresh Hop Pale Ale, Honey Ginger Pils, Abyssal Coffee Stout 2 Primary: Empty !! | Secondary: Empty !! Planned: Death from Belgium, Vanilla Bourbon Porter, Kronan's Last Stand APA, Lingon Lager, Sahti
509inc Likes This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-30-2012, 09:47 PM   #2
H-ost
Recipes 

Liked 51 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 108

Valkommen!

Swede here but obviously not there.... hmmm...

Old 08-31-2012, 04:48 PM   #3
BradleyBrew
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 86 Times on 58 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Hi! My wife is from Malmo. I'll be visiting Sweden again in October! That picture has forced me to consume a beer!

Old 09-04-2012, 02:30 PM   #4
kzelnio
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradleyBrew View Post
Hi! My wife is from Malmo. I'll be visiting Sweden again in October! That picture has forced me to consume a beer!
Oops! Did I make you consume a beer??? I am soooooooooooo very sorry ;p
Drinking: Honey Brown Ale, Abyssal Coffee Stout, Swedish Bog Ale, RyePA, Småland Harvest Ale | Conditioning: Hafi Hard Cider, Yxnevik Fresh Hop Pale Ale, Honey Ginger Pils, Abyssal Coffee Stout 2 Primary: Empty !! | Secondary: Empty !! Planned: Death from Belgium, Vanilla Bourbon Porter, Kronan's Last Stand APA, Lingon Lager, Sahti

Old 09-04-2012, 02:57 PM   #5
509inc
Recipes 

Liked 51 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 222

That is a great picture. I rank it in the top 10 homebrew(ingredient and final product) pics I've seen.

My HomeBrew and Craft Beer Blog:
http://the509inc.blogspot.com/

Old 09-04-2012, 06:05 PM   #6
BradleyBrew
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 86 Times on 58 Posts
Likes Given: 16

damn it... just had to consume another. I'm officially retiring this thread.

Old 09-05-2012, 02:33 PM   #7
kzelnio
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 509inc View Post
That is a great picture. I rank it in the top 10 homebrew(ingredient and final product) pics I've seen.
Thanks! My wife is a photographer.

Old 09-05-2012, 02:44 PM   #8
Pappers_
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 937 Times on 665 Posts
Likes Given: 2007

I was telling someone the other day that if I were 20 now instead of 50, I would seriously consider emigrating to either Sweden or Denmark.

We spent a few days in Kalmar two summers ago, beautiful area. I spent a day with some nanobrewers in Ribe, Denmark, but have the sense that the laws in Sweden are more rigorous.

We named our current IPA Midnattssol http://www.singingboysbrewing.com/Midnattssol-IPA.html

And welcome to HBT!

My wife's book "Uncovering Lives: Discovering One Immigrant Generation's Secrets and Lives of Forgiveness, Grace and Healing"

Old 09-07-2012, 07:30 AM   #9
kzelnio
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Well, I'm in my 30s and dropped a life as a research scientist to move my family to Sweden so we don't have to pay 1000s of dollars in medical bills the next time my son gets pneumonia... among other reasons of course It's never too late to take charge of your life!

Pappers_ Likes This 
Old 09-07-2012, 09:16 AM   #10
olefattguy
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Hi Kevin,
Another Swede here. Living in Gothenburg and homebrewing since the last five or so years. Took the step to AG and BIAB two years ago and haven't looked back since.
So, Sweden is that much better, huh? One gets kinda home-blind I guess...

Quick Reply