Greetings from Belgium

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Walter9

Reaction score
Hi everybody,

I'm Walter, 32 years old, from Belgium. I'm new to this forum and hope to learn lots of new stuff about all grain brewing here!

I already have some experience with both all grain and extract brewing. Recently I built my own little brewing system with a cooler and some copper tubes.

Some of my favorite beers are : Rochefort, Westvleteren and Malheur but I regularly like to drink some "international" brands as Budweiser, Corona and Guiness as well.

Currently I'm brewing a framboise beer, which is now in its primary fermentation stage.

Greets,

Walter

Welcome. It will be great to get the perspective of someone who lives amongst beer gods. I have been able to get my hands on Rochefort but Westvleteren has been hard to find. I am planning a Belgium trip just for that reason.

Hi,

There are indeed worse things in life than living in the mekka of beer :mug:

However, I must say that I am often surprised of the fine beers coming over the ocean from you guys! There's nothing like a fine Bud to go with a barbeque on a hot summer day.

Walter said:
Hi,

There are indeed worse things in life than living in the mekka of beer :mug:

However, I must say that I am often surprised of the fine beers coming over the ocean from you guys! There's nothing like a fine Bud to go with a barbeque on a hot summer day.

Lol - it's kinda funny to me that you live in Belgium - and actually drink Bud.

Welcome!!

Where in Belgium?
I stayed just over the border in The Netherlands for a few months a couple of years ago. I had a blast in Belgium.
Welcome to the boards.
Happy Brewing

Welcome. I have many fond memories of Belgium! (and a few nights I can't remember :drunk: ) Good to have you aboard.

Hi all,

First of all, thanks for the warm welcome.

As for the where in Belgium : I live in Duisburg, which is a small town next to Brussels. You could say that I live between the Gueuze, Lambiek and Kriek!

As for the Budweiser, there's nothing wrong with it. It is a fine light beer. :mug:

Hey Walter, I live in Germany and I have not made the trip to Belgium yet. I want to make a trip specifically to pick up some rare beers. I live 6 hours driving from brussels, is there anywhere further to the South (closer to Germany) you could recommend I visit?

seefresh said:
Hey Walter, I live in Germany and I have not made the trip to Belgium yet. I want to make a trip specifically to pick up some rare beers. I live 6 hours driving from brussels, is there anywhere further to the South (closer to Germany) you could recommend I visit?

Well, lucky for you, our country is not that big :fro:

Some interesting sites are Brussels for his Lambiek/Gueuze/Kriek, near Liege you have a little town called Achouffe, home of the famous "La chouffe" beer. You can also pay a visit to Rochefort, Maredsous or Orval to taste their famous and delicious beers.

And, not in the least, visit Bastonge, where so many of your brave ancestors fell to protect our county.

Anyway, the ardennes are certainly worth an effort to visit, be sure to visit a local "boucher" to taste his fine meats, we call "charcuterie".

Thank you for the beer info and the kind words about our ancestors. Could I bother you for some more information, but more about the center-northwest of your country? I am planning a trip to Brussels during which I would like to take a drive to In de Vrede and The abbay of Saint Sixtus for dinner. Do you have any insider information about In de Vrede and The abbay of Saint Sixtus, like things to try or other places to see? Any pub recommendations or places to stay in Brussels? Thanks in advance and let us know if we can help you in anyway.

Well, West-Vleteren is not that near to Brussels. Count on some 90 minutes to get there. But anyway, on their website you can find some info on what can be done at the cafe http://www.indevrede.be/languagee/index.htm .

But of course, in the vincinity you have Ieper, Poperinge (Belgian Hopindustry) and of course, you're not very far from our coast with lot's of opportunities for gastronomic leasure. (Diksmuidse pannekoeken (pancakes), Oostends vispannetje (Fish stew), and so on)

In Brussels, there is one place I can advise you to go to : "La Bécasse" where you can drink real Lambiek (not the sweetened stuff sold by InBev) and eat some Cervela (Pork saucage) to go along. Here's a link with some info : http://www.opt.be/informations/toeristische_informatie/en/AI/44472.html

But of course, when you're in Brussels, go to the "sablon" and get some chocolate at "Wittemer", this is really the best Belgian (and unfortunately also most expensive) you'll ever eat.

joebou4860 said:
hit up Antwerpen, see the cathedral. you can't miss it....it's huge
And drink a "bolleke", this is a Belgian Pale Ale also known as "De Keuninck". Personally I prefer Palm, but it's not bad.:mug:

Thanks so much for the great info. If you have any desire to come to Edinburgh in the next six months I'll find you some great Bitters and Milds.

Latest posts

Back