First post, second brew, got a problem!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jwparris

Reaction score
Hello from South Carolina! I began brewing a few months ago as stress relief from a 1 hour daily commute and 2-year-old twin boys (who are pretty awesome, by the way!). Anyway, I'm into my second brew and I have what I think is a pretty big problem.

My first brew was an Irish Red malt extract kit from Midwest, and it turned out pretty tasty. I only did a 1 stage fermentation in the brew bucket. My second brew is a Belgian Whitbier, also a malt extract kit from Midwest. It recommended a secondary fermentation, so I fermented in the brew bucket for 8 days, then siphoned into a 6.5 gallon glass carboy. After about 7 days in secondary, everything was fine. I went out of town for a few days, came back, and found the stopper lying beside the carboy. There is no head, but there was no head on my first brew right before I bottled. I believe my biggest problem at this point is contamination. How screwed am I?

Thanks!

JP

maybe yes, maybe no. Likely not. Taste it and if it taste like flat beer, bottle it. This happened to me when I started and had no problem and I am still alive.

No, Thirstease, sorry. My first brew had head for the first week of fermentation, then I noticed it beginning to dwindle. At that point, I added the priming sugar, bottled it, and after another 10 days or so, I tried the first bottle and it had a nice head.

Thanks for the tips, guys. I'll taste it and go from there. Hopefully it's fine, I was really looking forward to this one!

Back