Born Again Brewer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BlindLemonLars

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
No, I didn't find religion. I rediscovered the fun of homebrewing...an extract epiphany! A wort awakening!

At the tender age of 19, I tried a friend's homebrew at his fraternity. Impressed by the taste, and having inherited my father's fierce predilection for DIY, I bought a starter kit at a local HB shop and started making my own ales. Simple stuff mind you: extract syrup and supplemental grains....a week in the carboy at room temperature, and once the bubbling ceased, right into my collection of Corona bottles. My kit came with a hydrometer, but I never bothered to use it. While my beers were rather cloudy, they tasted good and were pretty damn strong to boot. My kitchen floor was perpetually sticky, but my fridge was always full.

At some point I stopped brewing. Probably driven by some other change in my life. A new job, a new home, a new woman...whatever. Who can remember.

Cut to twenty something years later, and one day I mentioned to my girlfriend that I used to brew beer. She liked the sound of that (this girl could be a keeper!) so off we went to the old homebrew shop, which I'm happy to say was still thriving. I bought the ingredients for an English style brown ale and replaced a few bits of missing hardware. Brewed it up Sunday before last, and nine days later it's resting comfortably in the old carboy, which is now serving as a secondary. This time around, I'm hoping to refine the process a bit, and increase the quality of my brew. I'm sure glad I kept most of my gear all these years!

Anyhow, it's sure great to find that the hobby is reaping the benefits of the Internet revolution. I've been lurking in this forum for the past week, and I can tell it's an amazing resource. I look forward to learning from the expertise of others, and sharing my own experiences.

Cheers,
-Lars :mug:

Yeah, I had a 7 year hoatus ffrom brewing. I moved to another city and was living in small apartments with no room for brewing equipment. Alwasy planning to brew but never getting aroun to doing it. After a while I almost forgot about the brew gear in storage. I moved a couple years ago and after seeing my unused brewing equipment sitting in the back of my truck I thought, damn it.. I've GOT to brew beer again.

Having a fiar bit of room where I am now and plenty of time on my hands (recovering from a work injusry) I jumped in with both feet and brewed a LOT of beer. Went AG too, built a sculpture, grain crusher and keggorator and have been sinking money in since (Just bought a refractometer!). I now have a hard time drinking most commercial beers and often think mine is better when at various brewpubs. :)

So... welcome back. Nice work with the brewing assistant.. AKA girlfriend.

You'll find the grains are much easier to work with and the internet gives you access to a broader range of products.

Feel free to post old-time recipes. I have a 1909 Mild in the kegger right now.

Welcome back your old friend (brewing) missed you. Welcome to the forum lots of good stuff is going on around here sometimes its tuff to keep up. But so much fun to try.
JJ

Welcome from another SoCal brewer. I too had a 15-20 year hiatus and now have 3 batches done and will make my 4th this weekend. This forum is great since it has so many answers and helps you know you're not alone. My SWMBO, friends and neighbors just don't understand the facination.

Latest posts

Back