Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > HomeBrewTalk Forums > Introductions > Awesome site you have here!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-03-2013, 10:35 PM   #1
insanetwain
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Awesome site you have here!

stumbled on this site when i was looking up to gain some beer knowledge and it's incredible (and encouraging) how much activity a homebrew site is getting.

got into this hobby on a whim last xmas (2011) with the ubiquitous Mr Beer kit. meticulously followed the instructions and made a so-so batch of whatever that is they stick in the box. almost abandoned all hope for a year and was given a Mr Beer refill of their mexican and oktoberfest HMEs. made the mexican-whatever by the book again and got pretty much the same beer as last time. BUT when it came to time to make the oktoberfest i decided to look at the premium recipes on Mr Beer and see if i could bump up the quality. boy that opened some doors!!

started googling random sites/posts regarding how to improve a Mr Beer batch. one thing led to another with light bulbs going off, and ended up in a beginners homebrew class yesterday. now i've taken my one can of oktoberfest HME, added a UME and an LME of pale, some Mt Hood hops, and some S-05 yeast. threw out the MB instructions and boiled the UME/LME for 20 minutes with the loose hops, cut the heat and stirred in the HME, crash cooled the whole thing before sticking in the LBK and pitching the S-05. that was just done today and looking forward to some good results from my third batch finally! the lesson today (learn something every time) was i need a funnel if i'm going to keep using the LBK, almost cried when the hops clogged my strainer and precious wort ran down the sides of the keg, such a tiny hole on top.

will probably stick to the LBK for now just cuz it's practically new, and i do like making the smaller batches since everything's been kinda lame so far. but i do like the idea of a whole wide open world of extracts and hops (and eventually grains). favorite beer by far is anything mega-hopped. that will be my next attempt, everything so far has been whatever someone's gifted me. looking forward to it!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-03-2013, 11:06 PM   #2
Mcbobs
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 8

I'm glad to see that you made it here. There's a ton of really great information on this site, and before you know it, you'll be sitting the Mr. Beer and drinking your own recipes with all the great help you'll find here!

Welcome aboard!!

Old 02-03-2013, 11:13 PM   #3
unionrdr
Wannabe author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2262 Times on 1970 Posts
Likes Given: 1698

If the extract was pre-hopped,don't boil it. It destroys the hop profile designed into it.

Old 02-04-2013, 05:12 AM   #4
insanetwain
Recipes 

yeah, fortunately i did get that info in time to save this batch. boiled the unhopped UME and LME, then added the hopped HME after cutting the heat.

i had to ditch the strainer about 3/4 way through transfer to the fermentor because it was too hard to hit the LBK's hole cleanly, so i have a small amount of loose hops floating in there. hope it doesn't stop up the spigot when it's time to bottle.

good job Ravens!! (really only cheering against the 49'ers this game since they beat my Falcons)

Quick Reply