Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Fermenters > would this work?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-14-2011, 07:33 PM   #1
OHIOSTEVE
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 66 Times on 59 Posts
Likes Given: 45

Default would this work?

I have almost finished a small walk in ferment room. I am trying to figure the best way to control temp. I know I can buy a 2 stage controller BUT wouldn't this work as well since it will need heated and cooled sometimes both in the same day right now. Set a small AC with a digital thermostat in the wall and set the thermo to 64 degrees. Then set a small space heater with a digital thermostat set to say 60 degrees. When the temp gets above 64 the AC would kick on.....and then kick back off at 64. if the temp dropped below 60 the heater would kick on and then back off at 60. The AC I plan to use has a setting that turns it completely off once temp is reached but it has a much wider temp range before restarting. with the mass of the carboys I don't think this would be an issue . Ok tell me whats wrong with this before I screw up my ferment room.

BALDGUT BREWS

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-14-2011, 07:39 PM   #2
dbarrm
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I would still go with a temp controller. I like the STC-1000.

Dan

Fermenting: Nothing at the moment.

Old 10-14-2011, 07:44 PM   #3
The_Dog_42
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 51 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 3

It may work, the problem is your AC and heater aren't as accurate as we'd like to assume and they aren't calibrated to each other (so they may not read the same temperature). Generally what happens with the AC is it will spit out cooling until the thermometer in it hits the set point (in your case 64F). The cold air that is spit out at the end (say the last 5-10 minutes) isn't really accounted for though, so your will probably drop below that. I have a kegerator that is cooled with an AC down to a set point of 40F, but have consistently seen temperatures of 37F. The same will go with the heater but in the opposite direction (the room will heat up a little more even after the heater has shut off).

The other issue is calibration. The AC may register the room at 64F, but the heater may register it at 60F, so they both kick on and fight each other. Again, with my kegerator, I have a Love controller and a second temp sensor. They are almost always off by 1-2F from each other (the sensor reads a little colder) even though the thermometers are literally on top of each other.

So if you have time to experiment, you could probably get your set points correct but for the $30-$50 it would cost to get an ebay temp controller, I'm not sure it's worth it.

My 10 yr old chocolate lab Guinness :D thinks her name is goddammit dog or fu@%in' puppy...I think if she were registerable :drunk: her full name would Goddammit Guinness Stop It...Go Away!!! And we Love her dearly :)
My Keg-O-Vision (Kegerator) Build

My Butcherblock-esque Fermentation Chamber

Old 10-14-2011, 07:52 PM   #4
kh54s10
Recipes 

Liked 679 Times on 576 Posts
Likes Given: 173

I'm not sure about your A/C and heater but my window A/C, when set to 70 degrees goes on when I feel hot and does not go off until I feel cold. So I suspect more than 10 degrees total temperature swing.

Old 10-14-2011, 10:57 PM   #5
horseinmay
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 19

It sounds like a good idea on the surface, but if the room is well insulated, you are not going to have that much of a temperature swing during a single day.

Old 10-15-2011, 10:51 PM   #6
Flomaster
Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 37

ebay STC-1000 For the WIN for $25 shipped you can't go wrong.

-=Jason=-

Old 10-16-2011, 02:09 PM   #7
wyzazz
Recipes 

Liked 41 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Dog_42 View Post
It may work, the problem is your AC and heater aren't as accurate as we'd like to assume and they aren't calibrated to each other (so they may not read the same temperature). Generally what happens with the AC is it will spit out cooling until the thermometer in it hits the set point (in your case 64F). The cold air that is spit out at the end (say the last 5-10 minutes) isn't really accounted for though, so your will probably drop below that. I have a kegerator that is cooled with an AC down to a set point of 40F, but have consistently seen temperatures of 37F. The same will go with the heater but in the opposite direction (the room will heat up a little more even after the heater has shut off).

The other issue is calibration. The AC may register the room at 64F, but the heater may register it at 60F, so they both kick on and fight each other. Again, with my kegerator, I have a Love controller and a second temp sensor. They are almost always off by 1-2F from each other (the sensor reads a little colder) even though the thermometers are literally on top of each other.

So if you have time to experiment, you could probably get your set points correct but for the $30-$50 it would cost to get an ebay temp controller, I'm not sure it's worth it.
I'll just echo the above statement. Too much room for error if you don't have both devices plugged in to the same temp controller.
And I'd like to see my 1.080 beers ready from grain to glass in a week, and served to me by red-headed twin penthouse pets wearing garter belts and fishnet stockings, with Irish accents, calling me "master luv gun," but we can't always get what we want can we? :)

Quick Reply