Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Fermenters > Work bench / STC-1000 fermentation chamber

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-30-2012, 10:36 PM   #1
Richard-SSV
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts

Default Work bench / STC-1000 fermentation chamber

Well you guys have inspired me to improve the taste of my beer by taking better control of fermentation temps. My garage is pretty much wall to wall work benches, so to not take up any more room I decided to incorporate a fermentation chamber underneath one of my work benches.

I wanted to keep this project as cheap as possible, so I used an array of scrap wood the sheath the inside of the chamber. Underneath the sheathing is R11 insulation. It's not pretty, but it's doing the job nicely!

I already had a window unit A/C laying around, so the only things I had to buy was the insulation, the STC-1000 temperature controller, and a sheet of plywood for the outside panel and door. For heat I'm using a heat bulb on a keyless socket, so I'm using towels to shield the brew from the light. All said, this little project cost me about $60 in new materials. I still plan to fabricate some type of cover to cover up the exposed wires on the backside of STC-1000, but that can wait a bit for now.

There's room inside for about 6 carboys. Right now I have a couple cases of homebrew bottle conditioning and a carboy fermenting away at a constant 70 degrees. And before anyone comments, yes, I realize that the chamber is not exactly perfectly square..... that's okay... I pride myself on being a half-ass handyman

img_4563.jpg   img_4565.jpg   img_4566.jpg   img_4569.jpg   img_4564.jpg  

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-30-2012, 11:11 PM   #2
TrainSafe
John Gage wannabe
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 67 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Sweet!!!

That is excellent use of space. It blends in really well and if I walked into your garage I wouldn't know you had beer fermenting.

How hot do the towels get? You may want to consider something like aluminum foil to sheild the light. It won't start on fire.

Old 12-30-2012, 11:32 PM   #3
Richard-SSV
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts

The towels haven't really gotten hot. It holds temperature very well, so when the light does come on it's only on for less than a minute before it gets back up to temp.

Old 12-30-2012, 11:46 PM   #4
limulus
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 57 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 78

Nicely done. Where will the condensation from the AC unit go to when it is running?

Tap 3: Empty - APA coming June
Kolsch coming July

Primary:
Secondary:
Cold Conditioning: IPA
On Deck: Kolsch
On Deck: Pale Ale
On Deck: Dusseldorf Altbier

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
-Ernest Hemingway

Old 12-31-2012, 12:15 AM   #5
Richard-SSV
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by limulus View Post
Nicely done. Where will the condensation from the AC unit go to when it is running?
That's something I'll have to figure out when it gets warm enough for the A/C to kick on. Right now it's so cold out that the A/C won't be kicking on for a few months or so.

If it becomes an issue I'll just add a drip pan underneath it and funnel out the water to the garage floor.

Quick Reply