Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Fermenters > Where to get HDPE piping?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-04-2009, 04:37 PM   #1
GreenMan
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Where to get HDPE piping?

Anyone know where to get HDPE piping? I have looked online and can only find suppliers that sell 40+ feet lengths.

I'm looking to try and make a tall narrow fermenter out of it. Thinking 6" or 8" diameter which would give me a 2-5 foot tall fermenter for 6 gallon capacity. I understand that it is permeable to O2 so these will not be used for long fermentations.

First one I make I plan to make a larger batch and ferment some in a glass jug and see if I can tell any difference due to the shape and/or material.

Any other suggestions are welcome.

Idea came from this thread: pvc pipe -- friendly or Nos?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-04-2009, 04:43 PM   #2
madewithchicken
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I would just use a corny keg to get about the right shape. Maybe do a 4 gallon batch so there is room for foam.

I am interested in what will happen if you do a side by side comparative. Something like 4 gallons in a corny and 4 gallons of the same batch of beer in a glass carboy.

I probably will not be around much anymore. I had to close my restaurant and get a real job so i do not have the time to hang out online all day.

Check out my videos on my profile or at:

1920fairfax.com Just voted the worst show on the internet.

Old 02-04-2009, 04:48 PM   #3
JesseRC
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 1

the owner of my LHBS said ale yeast fermentation is best with a greater surface area. So he recommended that short wide ale pale. Would having this pvc pipe go against that, if there's any truth to that ? I guess if ale yeast is top fermenting it might?

Jesse

Primaries: Mojave Red (AG)
Kegs: Hibiscus Saison (AG), Orange Kolsch (AG) , Cocunut Porter
Future Brew: Wee Heavy

Old 02-04-2009, 05:14 PM   #4
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1076 Times on 716 Posts
Likes Given: 28

I'm just trying to figure out the intent of the tall/skinny design when buckets are plentiful and much cheaper?

Chugger Pumps, Pump Kits, Camlocks, Sightglasses, Clear USA made Silicone Tubing, RIMS, Electric Install Parts, etc. Did you know we are also now a full service homebrew shop selling malt, hops, yeast (Wyeast), etc?

Old 02-04-2009, 05:24 PM   #5
JesseRC
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts

cleaning 5ft pvc is gonna be tougher than cleaning a pale

Jesse

Primaries: Mojave Red (AG)
Kegs: Hibiscus Saison (AG), Orange Kolsch (AG) , Cocunut Porter
Future Brew: Wee Heavy

Old 02-04-2009, 05:53 PM   #6
GreenMan
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JesseRC View Post
the owner of my LHBS said ale yeast fermentation is best with a greater surface area. So he recommended that short wide ale pale. Would having this pvc pipe go against that, if there's any truth to that ? I guess if ale yeast is top fermenting it might?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby_M View Post
I'm just trying to figure out the intent of the tall/skinny design when buckets are plentiful and much cheaper?
Tall skinny ones would use less floor space. Also I think they would look more appealing then a bucket. And I am curious about what differences the shape would make in the finished beer. How do you know it would be much cheaper? Do you know of some place that will give me a price on HDPE pipe? That is one thing I'm trying to look into but can't find is even a rough estimate on how much it would cost.

I think the surface area would only slow down the fermentation if anything. That's one thing I would like to find out though.

Old 02-04-2009, 05:57 PM   #7
farmbrewernw
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

HDPE is not very cheap, I know this because I work in the civil engineering field. However if you could scrounge some scraps from some construction sites then you could almost do it for free. Any fittings such as end caps are gonna be expensive. I looked into making kegs out of hdpe a while back and it's just cheaper to buy cornie kegs when you figure in all of the end caps and other fittings.

I'm working as a pro now, but that doesn't mean I'm not still homebrewing. I'm going to see if I can homebrew at work as a way to develop new recipes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zymurgrafi
wow, tha more I drink, tha more cohernet you all are!
and stufffff.

Old 02-04-2009, 06:06 PM   #8
GreenMan
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
cleaning 5ft pvc is gonna be tougher than cleaning a pale
Not really worried about cleaning it as I have only lightly scrubbed my bottles with a cleaning brush and shaken around with cleaning and sanitizing solution. Could easily do this with HDPE just as easily.

Old 02-04-2009, 06:11 PM   #9
McKBrew

Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 8

I'd like you to keep at it and post the results. At least it would be cool to see some uniquiely designed fermenters.

What about CPVC or something similar? I know it's discussed on here a lot for use in MLT's. How would it work for a fermentation vessel?

Make Beer, Not War.

Old 02-04-2009, 06:11 PM   #10
madewithchicken
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
I assumed that the point of the pipe was to test the theory that ale yeast likes big surface area.

I probably will not be around much anymore. I had to close my restaurant and get a real job so i do not have the time to hang out online all day.

Check out my videos on my profile or at:

1920fairfax.com Just voted the worst show on the internet.

Quick Reply