Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Fermenters > Vent needed for fermentation chamber?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-21-2011, 04:51 PM   #1
greatschmaltez
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Vent needed for fermentation chamber?

I am looking at converting a standup freezer to a fermentation chamber, I was concerned about pressure building in the freezer as the fermentation took off. Obviously there will be a small crack in the door seal for the temperature controller wire. Is there any other modification I need to do to vent fermentation CO2 or is there simply not enough produced during fermentation to even be a concern?

Right now my materials of construction are:
1) Freezer
2) temperature controller

I'm assuming it's easy as that to get anywhere from mid 60s down to the lagering temps... Correct?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-21-2011, 05:02 PM   #2
RegionalChaos
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 4

If the pressure built up to large levels it would probably just push the door open. Can't imagine it happening though.

Planned House Ales: an Amber, an IPA, a dark IPA, a Mango Ale, a blueberry oatmeal stout, a dry Irish stout, a honey wheat, Apfelwien

What kind of R-Value does your ferm chamber need? - http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/what...hamber-190459/

Old 02-21-2011, 05:25 PM   #3
Gldnst8warrior
Recipes 

I use an old refrigerator as my fermentation chamber and have no vents on it. I have had 3 carboys fermenting in it at the same time with no pressure issues. I think you should be fine.

Quick Reply