Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Fermenters > Upright Freezer Turned Fermentation Chamber

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-23-2010, 05:43 AM   #1
reeyawd
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Upright Freezer Turned Fermentation Chamber

Just wanted to share my upright freezer to fermentation chamber conversion. To kick it off, the all important links that helped me immensely through this project.

The Wiring Diagram and Programing Info for the love controller:
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f11/love...-2008-a-88369/

More Programing Help (ClaudiusB is the man):
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f11/love...g-help-112303/

Boerderij_Kabouter's side by side:
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/side...-build-105054/

Grabbed up this upright freezer from a local reconditioning guy here in Brooklyn for $150. I went with the TSS2-2100 with the TS-1 probe (I order the TS-21 probe but was on back order). Like Boerderij_Kabouter, I picked up a small space heater from HD. I decided to wire in an extension cord for the heater so I can remove it for cleaning.

The wiring diagram (thanks to Boerderij_Kabouter)

Thermostat

Dissembled Thermostat

The evaporator, fan and wiring was conveniently located all together.

The Power (blue) and the Switch Wire (red) to the compressor

Used a dremel

If you notice the black charred connector. I definitely learned how not to measure Amperage with my multimeter.

The work space. Got my imperial stout (11%) and my safety glasses on top of the chamber.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-23-2010, 05:47 AM   #2
reeyawd
Recipes 

Black wire is taking the hot from the thermostat (freezer blue), white wire (freezer red)is the switch that turns on the cooling section

Distributed the black power connections with a wire nut. Ran the system neutral, the compressor switch wire and the heater extension cord switch with white.

Used a wire nut to tie into the freezer's neutral. Ran one to the love controller, connected one neutral to the heater's extension cord.

The deactivated, reinstalled thermostat. I cut a small groove to run the wires out.

Everything put back together and wires cleaned up. You can see the mini heater that I picked up from HD down bellow the bucket and the prob wire running to the side of the fermener.

Old 10-08-2010, 12:45 AM   #3
reeyawd
Recipes 

Little update: After about 2 weeks of operations I came in to see that the love controller had no power (display was off). After some trouble shooting with the multimeter I found that no power was getting to where I tapped in at the thermostat. Digging around led me to the overload located down in compressor area. Thinking I would need to replace it I saw that there was what looked to be a reset. One turn of the screw and power was back. Not sure what tripped it or if it will happen again...but things seem to back to normal. Got my Belgian Strong fermenting away.

Old 10-08-2010, 08:51 PM   #4
reeyawd
Recipes 

Coming in the next morning after reseting the Overload the controller again had no power. I posted a thread up here

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/ferm...6/#post2325296

Thanks to DrawTap88 I did some snooping and found that you want to make sure to have an anti-short cycle time programed in.

"Short cycling a compressor will damage it. 2-3 seconds as in your case may not damage it, but only a few minutes between cycles is not good. Be careful with your controller. Allow 5-10 minutes between shutdown and the start of another cycle."

I dug through my love controller's manual and found the c0 perameter:

c0 = Minimum relay stop time. Minimum relay time from disconnection of a relay till it can be switched on again.

As per the note a found on another forum, I set this for 10min...figure safer is better. Hopefully that will solve the issue.

Old 06-26-2011, 06:51 AM   #5
Mike3701
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I know this is a very old thread but how is the upright freezer working out?

Quick Reply