Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Fermenters > Upright or Chest??? Which is More Popular?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-10-2013, 07:02 AM   #11
FuzzeWuzze
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 246 Times on 186 Posts
Likes Given: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by NTXBrauer View Post
I am definitely leaning towards an upright, and like the idea of placing 2 carboys vertically vs. side by side in a chest freezer. The access to the FV would be much easier, plus you can keep an eye on things. This being said, there are so many more chest freezers for sale on CL vs. stand up. (At least in the price range I want to remain at).

Thanks everyone for the input so far.
Use something like

http://www.list-alert.com/

Setup your search, then subscribe to it and they will email you every time someone posts something new that fits your search.

That way you are almost guaranteed to be first to email them if you keep on top of it, which means you almost always get the item.

Trying to manually search every day or so for what you want never works because someone always seems to snipe whatever i want on CL before i can message them. It may take a few weeks, but eventually it will happen where someone posts something amazing, and having this alert system setup makes sure your the one who gets it.

After spamming like 20 people from manual CL searches and getting no reply or replies it was sold i set this up, and within a week or two mine popped up and i snagged it from some old lady 40 minutes away.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-10-2013, 07:25 AM   #12
tally350z
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 4 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 80 Times on 68 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I use a side by side, and basically cut a giant hole in the middle to make one giant chamber. I built a stand inside of it and can fit 3-4 6.5g carboys + 2 5g carboys. Only thing I use is a johnson controller. Works really well..

Kegged
- Burton IPA, Munich Lager, Cream Ale
Bottled - Muscadine Port, Imperial Stout

North Florida Brewers League

Old 10-10-2013, 04:11 PM   #13
Rockindaddy
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Like FuzzeWuzze says, just make sure it's a "frost free" upright freezer otherwise you won't be able to move the shelves.

"He who laughs last..........thinks slowest!"

Old 10-10-2013, 04:13 PM   #14
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 2432 Times on 1718 Posts
Likes Given: 1387

I use an upright for my fermentation chamber. It's currently able to hold 2 buckets, but could be modified to hold 4 if I wanted to. With an upright you need to watch out for cooling coils integrated with the shelves. Some of them are a bit of work to modify, some are easy.

Homer's Brew Log

Old 10-10-2013, 04:33 PM   #15
breckenridge
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I have a chest freezer for my keezer, but if I had it to do again (or if I could've convinced SWMBO that it would've looked fine in the dining room), I definitely would have done upright for that. I have two dorm fridges in the basement for fermentation chambers, and they do well for me.

For my money, a dorm fridge and building on an insulated box is probably the best bet in terms of 1) money, 2) not having an excessively high sidewall to lift your fermentation vessel over. You can rig a fan on a thermostat so that the same refrigeration unit is chilling two zones simultaneously at different temps, so you can cold crash while you ferment, too.

Of course, if you don't want to fuss with two cool zones, you could always put fermwrap around the beer you're trying to keep warmer and let it battle with the fridge, but that approach never made sense to me.

Old 10-10-2013, 06:19 PM   #16
NTXBrauer
Prosit!
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 150 Times on 115 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by slarkin712 View Post
I really like my upright freezer. Has a smaller foot print than a chest freezer and I can fit 11 corny kegs in it. Here's the thread on which I based my build.
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/upri...1-kegs-371438/
Very sweet set up. Nice job!

Old 10-14-2013, 03:21 PM   #17
slarkin712
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 45 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Very sweet set up. Nice job!
That is a nice set up, but that's not mine. I saw that thread and basically duplicated the work.

Old 10-19-2013, 11:32 PM   #18
NTXBrauer
Prosit!
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

I got lucky, and found a True GDM-12 on CL for a steal, so the decision has been made. This unit will maintain between 33-38F, and I have a digital controller en route as I write this. Thanks for all the feedback.

true.jpg  
Old 10-20-2013, 12:21 AM   #19
raouliii
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 66 Times on 59 Posts
Likes Given: 112

Quote:
I got lucky, and found a True GDM-12 on CL for a steal, so the decision has been made. This unit will maintain between 33-38F, and I have a digital controller en route as I write this. Thanks for all the feedback.
If you use a controller, I would recommend wiring such that evaporator fan remains on all of the time. This will maintain good airflow and keep it frost free. The compessor / condenser unit in the lower section usually has a standard 120vac plug attached. You can insert your controller there instead of on the main power plug. I have 3 gdm units in use and find they run better that way on a separate controller.
Big Breasted Blonde
NippleRub Ultra

In the Chamber:
Rearranger IPA

Next Up:
Don't know
Stealthcruiser Likes This 
Old 10-21-2013, 06:42 PM   #20
NTXBrauer
Prosit!
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by raouliii View Post
If you use a controller, I would recommend wiring such that evaporator fan remains on all of the time. This will maintain good airflow and keep it frost free. The compessor / condenser unit in the lower section usually has a standard 120vac plug attached. You can insert your controller there instead of on the main power plug. I have 3 gdm units in use and find they run better that way on a separate controller.
Thanks for the advice raouliii. I am considering wiring only the compressor to the controller. My only concern would be that the fan will run non-stop, and shorten it's useful life.

The condensation & frost control would be a beneficial trade off though, and this thing is made in the USA, so my expectations on performance are high.

Quick Reply