Tips needed for using a dis-assembeled mini fridge for fermentation chamber

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nasmeyer

Reaction score
I am interested in building a fermentation chamber/box and using a mini-fridge which I would dis-assemble and re-assemble into the box. A couple of questions.
-What exactly does the temperature controller that I have read would be needed do? Is this also called a love controller? Cost of one? Is it able to be used with any fridge?
-Would a full sized fridge have components that are too large to use for a small chamber, and sticking with a mini be better?
-Anyone have links or photos of a finished chamber like I want to build?

I am interested in building a fermentation chamber/box and using a mini-fridge which I would dis-assemble and re-assemble into the box. A couple of questions.
-What exactly does the temperature controller that I have read would be needed do? Is this also called a love controller? Cost of one? Is it able to be used with any fridge?
-Would a full sized fridge have components that are too large to use for a small chamber, and sticking with a mini be better?
-Anyone have links or photos of a finished chamber like I want to build?

There's no reason why you couldn't use the original mini fridge stat for your build, even a larger frige stat as they are about the same size. One thing to watch out for is a using a small fridge stat to control a larger fridge as mini fridge compressors draw around 1 amp and the larger of 2 amps plus. Will the smaller stat fridge handle the extra current or is it still within the current capacity of the mini fridge stat rating? I find many that you readjust the factory set screw usually painted threads to lock that within a set temp position that you can readjust for your needs if the temp wheel is off the range of temp required. Also check the contacts within the temp control, be careful and not break the thin gas tube to the sensor head.

Back