thermostat compressor by power or by relay?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChrisATX

Reaction score
Hi all, new here, working on a chamber with the guts of a Haier cube fridge. I want to bypass the factory thermostat. My question is, does it make a difference if I use a thermostat to control the relay (eg, wiring in a new, better thermostat in place of the original factory dial thermostat), or if I short the starter relay (bypass the factory thermostat) and control the compressor power at the line?

Thanks!!! Very cool community.

Just crank the built in thermostat all the way down and use an external unit to control the power to the fridge, there are many options, from turn key to completely scratch fabricated. Search the forum for johnson temp controller and ebay temp controller to get started in your research.

both of your options are actually the same thing, you are just putting the controller at a different place in the electical cord. it makes no difference, and jerdes suggestion above is probably easiest.

Back