Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Fermenters > Stainless Fermenter Build

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-04-2012, 02:42 PM   #11
grfrazee
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Ok, I couldn't tell from your original pics/plans that you were putting a lid like that on it. In that case, your solution with the tubing should work fine, assuming positive pressure in the tank or equal pressure with the outside air. If it were me, I would still try to get some of that rubber gasket material that's used for Grolsch bottles.

I'm just picturing the "professional" conicals that have the big, dome-shaped lid with a small hole for the airlock, which you could probably achieve with this design if you drill a hole in the top cover.

I have to say though, I'm jealous of your build. I wish I could weld stainless or knew a guy who would do this project for me.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-04-2012, 02:54 PM   #12
FirstStateBrewer
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 3

That is beautiful! Any idea of the costs of the stainless and other materials? I know it was free to you, but I'm curious what it would cost me if I had to purchase the materials. If I found a stainless welder, I might look into having something like this built, myself!

Old 05-04-2012, 06:54 PM   #13
jtkratzer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 38 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 4

What about a 6" or 8" tri clover ferrule and cap with an air lock in the cap? I can't imagine you couldn't properly clean that thing with an 8" opening.

Old 05-04-2012, 08:57 PM   #14
Dhruv6911
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstStateBrewer View Post
That is beautiful! Any idea of the costs of the stainless and other materials? I know it was free to you, but I'm curious what it would cost me if I had to purchase the materials. If I found a stainless welder, I might look into having something like this built, myself!
Honestly, i don't because the stainless steel he used was from scraps. It's really thick stuff though, the whole tank with stand weighs near 70lbs. Good thing is that stainless plates ~20ga don't cost too much, maybe in 150 in parts. How would aluminum fermenter tanks fare?

As for the top, i'm just going to be drilling a hole small enough to fit a blowoff tube, maybe in the future i can drill two more and run copper lines down it to cool it.

Quick Reply