Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Fermenters > Spunding Valve Construction For Corny Keg

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-01-2011, 05:16 AM   #11
TJTHEBEST
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

http://www.brewmasterswarehouse.com/.../bleeder-valve

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-01-2011, 02:22 PM   #12
dflipse
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pickles View Post
Can you post a link?
http://www.brewmasterswarehouse.com/.../bleeder-valve is the part on Brewmasters Warehouse the above poster is referring to, I believe. I haven't looked into it, but I'm not sure that's a pressure relief valve on there. That might be just a gauge and a valve you have to open or close manually. Austin Homebrew Supply sells the same piece (http://www.austinhomebrew.com/produc...ducts_id=10397) and they're a bit more descriptive, but I'm not sure. If it's an adjustable pressure relief valve, the price is definitely right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1MadScientist View Post
Just checking in with you to see what your status is? Did you make a spunding valve and how's that corny fermentation process coming along. We need pictures or it didn't happen...
I'm totally busted. I never followed through in this thread, though I did make a spunding valve and (after moving cross-state, new job, new brewing setup, etc) am now fermenting my first batch of homebrew in a 5 gallon corny keg.

Pics, cause it is happening (though only crappy iPhone pics, cause I worked overnight)-

That's my fermentation fridge, as well as the place I store the rest of the brewing gear. More on that (chiefly my Reflectix and Line-X coated e-Kettle) another time.

The spunding valve in situ, though it's sorta hard to tell in the picture.

Better shot of the spunding valve itself.

I used about 4 feet of clear line to be able to tell if anything is escaping the keg and to try to capture it if it does. First batch, pretty darn full keg, nothing but some vapor in the line.

McMaster parts list-
4089K12 Multipurpose Gauge +/-2% Mid-Scale Accuracy, 2" Dial, 1/4" NPT Male Bottom, 0 - 30 PSI 8.52
4429K223 Low-Pressure Brass Threaded Pipe Fitting, 1/4" X 1/8" X 1/4" Pipe Size, Inline Reducing Tee 9.89
9171K212 Precision High-Pressure Brass Thread Pipe Fitting, 1/8" X 1/8" Pipe Size, Hex Nipple, 5600 PSI, 1-1/16" L 3.58
99045K44 Adjustable Pressure-Maintaining Plastic Relief Valve, 1/8 NPT Female, 0.5-30 PSI 31.64
50675K162 Brass 37 Degree Flared Tube Fitting, Adapter for 1/4" Tube OD X 1/4" NPT Male Pipe 2.12

This could definitely be done more cheaply, but I've really liked how this worked out. It's very compact. The device just sits on top of the keg. I'm just about 10 days into this fermentation.

A really slick project would be to mount it outside the fridge itself (pass through the door/top as in a kegerator) and you could monitor fermentation without ever opening the door of the fridge. Tighten the valve a bit, the pressure should rise over a few hours. Doesn't happen? Fermentation isn't happening.

Old 09-22-2011, 02:31 AM   #13
1MadScientist
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by dflipse View Post

I'm totally busted. I never followed through in this thread, though I did make a spunding valve and (after moving cross-state, new job, new brewing setup, etc) am now fermenting my first batch of homebrew in a 5 gallon corny keg.

A really slick project would be to mount it outside the fridge itself (pass through the door/top as in a kegerator) and you could monitor fermentation without ever opening the door of the fridge. Tighten the valve a bit, the pressure should rise over a few hours. Doesn't happen? Fermentation isn't happening.
dflipse, A "BIG Thank You" for posting back and with the parts list too. I ordered from McM-C for it all, except I had the ss fittings from a previous build, I did need to order the 1/2 to 1/8 bushing too.

Note my hole in the door. I already had one, I just enlarged it.

I am on my way now. See my latest pictures here; http://www.flickr.com/photos/madscientistbrewhaus/

Regards... Richard

In Cat Beers - I've Only Had One

BIABrewer.info / Closed-system pressurized fermentation technique

Brewing with MS; http://www.flickr.com/photos/madscie...473769/detail/

Old 09-14-2012, 06:17 PM   #14
Kalvaroo
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Thanks dflipse...

I just ordered the same parts to copy your build so I can control my carbonation while lagering... among other uses.

Here's an updated McMaster-Carr parts list with prices as of 14SEP12

1 each 4089K61 Multipurpose Gauge Plastic Case, 2" Dial, 1/4 NPT Bottom, 0-30 PSI $9.20 each
1 each 4429K223 Low-Pressure Brass Threaded Pipe Fitting 1/4 X 1/8 X 1/4 Pipe Size, Inline Reducing Tee $11.87 each
1 each 9171K212 Precision HI-Pressure Brass Thrd Pipe Fitting 1/8 X 1/8 Pipe Size X 1-1/6" Length, Hex Nipple $3.87 each
1 each 99045K11 Adj Pressure-Maintaining Plastic Relief Valve 1/8 NPT Female, 0.5-30 PSI $36.88 each
1 each 50675K162 Brass 37 Degree Flared Tube Fitting Adapter for 1/4" Tube OD X 1/4" NPT Male Pipe $2.21 each

Merchandise total
$64.03

-kal

Old 09-17-2012, 05:40 PM   #15
Kalvaroo

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

image-4216984045.jpg

Updated photo with parts list as of 9/1712.

-kal
Old 09-17-2012, 05:46 PM   #16
MalFet
/bɪər nərd/
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1267 Times on 844 Posts
Likes Given: 583

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJTHEBEST View Post
That's not a variable pressure relief valve. It's a manual on/off valve with a pressure gauge attached. Doesn't work for these purposes (unless you can train a gremlin to sit next to your fermentor all day).

"Be excellent to each other." -Benjamin Franklin

Old 05-10-2013, 11:53 PM   #17
inda_bebe
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

is the relief valve the same you would use to regulate the psi for an air compressor?

Old 10-19-2013, 02:43 PM   #18
theck
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 48 Times on 45 Posts
Likes Given: 74

I have an old regulator that I acquired which doesn't work that great as a regulator I was going to try and repurpose it as a spunding. Is that possible?

Old 10-19-2013, 08:08 PM   #19
dyqik
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 84 Times on 75 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Morebeer do sell these with a gauge and adjustable pressure relief valve, attached to a ball lock gas QD for $35 (or $20 without the gauge). I have one, and it works well.

http://morebeer.com/products/ball-lo...ve-wgauge.html

I guess you could part one out a little cheaper if you can find the pressure relief valve cheaply. I couldn't, so I bought this. I wouldn't normally post products, but this is lot cheaper than some of the parts bills upthread.

Old 10-20-2013, 12:50 PM   #20
theck
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 48 Times on 45 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by dyqik View Post
Morebeer do sell these with a gauge and adjustable pressure relief valve, attached to a ball lock gas QD for $35 (or $20 without the gauge). I have one, and it works well.

http://morebeer.com/products/ball-lo...ve-wgauge.html

I guess you could part one out a little cheaper if you can find the pressure relief valve cheaply. I couldn't, so I bought this. I wouldn't normally post products, but this is lot cheaper than some of the parts bills upthread.
What is the pressure lease valve for? I'm guessing you put this on the keg to get an accurate say 10 psi since the rest of the pressure if set at 30 will bleed off? I mostly want one to just test my kegs to see if they are holding pressure after I repair them, so I probably don't need a valve?

Quick Reply