Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Fermenters > Side by side fridge as a fermentation chamber.. Is it a better option than a chest f

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-21-2011, 11:46 PM   #1
bajabrewer7
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Side by side fridge as a fermentation chamber.. Is it a better option than a chest f

Hey you guys, I was about to buy a chest freezer but then I saw a side by side fridge converted to a fermentation chamber, the size of this is obviously greater than a chest freezer, what would you guys recommend? They are both similar in price, what are the pro's and con's of either?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-21-2011, 11:53 PM   #2
toxick
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

You'd have more floorspace in a chest freezer if you want to ferment multiple brews. If you have a conical or something tall that won't fit in a chest freezer, you might want to go side-by-side, but I personally ferment in my chest freezer and use my side-by-side as a kegerator

The nice part about being a pessimist is that you are constantly being either proven right or pleasantly surprised.
~George F. Will

Old 09-21-2011, 11:58 PM   #3
toxick
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I suppose you could technically build a shelving system inside the side-by-side in order to fit more fermenting vessels in there, but I would be careful about measuring the inside height to make sure you actually have room to stack them. Don't forget the extra height taken up by the airlocks!

The nice part about being a pessimist is that you are constantly being either proven right or pleasantly surprised.
~George F. Will

Old 09-22-2011, 12:25 AM   #4
bajabrewer7
Recipes 

Plan with the side by side is to build removable shelves for carboys at first(after removing the wall between compartments), then graduate to induction tanks, if they'll fit: http://www.dudadiesel.com/choose_item.php?id=c30.. The fridge is pretty tall and I plan to buy these without stands and build my own anyways...

Quick Reply