Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Fermenters > SG at a glance?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-03-2012, 06:17 AM   #1
l3asturd
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default SG at a glance?

I've been toying with this idea lately but I thought I'd let you guys comment (destroy) on it. Haha kiddin. I need to here from you if there's an obvious reason why this wouldn't work.

The hydrometer would be inserted at the top of the PVC tee that would have a threaded cap. The bottom PVC tee also would have a cap that could be removed to assist in cleaning. The clear section of PVC would be Harvel ClearPVC.

One option i've also considered it a hand pump primer button on the bottom of the bottom tee that could assist in circulating new wort in to the sight tube.

I started this with google sketch, but I suck at it, so I just finished it with a paint program.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-03-2012, 06:45 AM   #2
Dan
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1988 Times on 1229 Posts
Likes Given: 2809

Neat idea. So the screw top cap would stay on except when you wanted to take a gravity reading and then insert hydrometer take reading remove hydrometer and recap? Or does it stay in the whole time the wort is fermenting?

Not sure I follow the primer button option, would you somehow pull in new wort from the bottom and flow it back into the top of the fermenter?

Old 02-03-2012, 04:04 PM   #3
jlachesk
Recipes 

This is a neat idea. I'm basically picturing an oversized sight glass with a sealable top.

Any reason to need to cycle the wort each time? Assuming your wort is mixed well before it gets drawn into the sight glass portion, is it safe to say the fermentation would be consistent?

Old 02-03-2012, 04:44 PM   #4
Huaco
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 114 Times on 71 Posts
Likes Given: 34

If the fermentation is active enough to circulate through the sight glass, you will have sediment on the bottom return elbow. Could you "45" it back to the conical part to eliminate sediment issues?

Old 02-03-2012, 10:34 PM   #5
l3asturd
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan View Post
Neat idea. So the screw top cap would stay on except when you wanted to take a gravity reading and then insert hydrometer take reading remove hydrometer and recap? Or does it stay in the whole time the wort is fermenting?

Not sure I follow the primer button option, would you somehow pull in new wort from the bottom and flow it back into the top of the fermenter?
I want to insert the hydrometer after I fill the tank with wort, then remove and clean after fermentation. The idea was to just leave it in there for the duration of fermantion.

The primer button I have in mind would be similar to a lawn mower gasoline primer. Basically it's to introduce new wort in to the hydrometer chamber in case it has different attributes such as temperature.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huaco
If the fermentation is active enough to circulate through the sight glass, you will have sediment on the bottom return elbow. Could you "45" it back to the conical part to eliminate sediment issues?
I love this idea. I think I'll implement that in my prototype. That will help with cleaning as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlachesk
Any reason to need to cycle the wort each time? Assuming your wort is mixed well before it gets drawn into the sight glass portion, is it safe to say the fermentation would be consistent?
I'm not sure if I would need to cycle wort. A friend mentioned it may be necessary to balance temperature difference or varying fermentation levels. My original plan was not to circulate though. I may try it first and then try it with a primer button as well.

Old 02-03-2012, 10:59 PM   #6
kpr121
Recipes 

Liked 61 Times on 58 Posts
Likes Given: 68

I see issues with kausen forming in the tube, sticking to your hydrometer, and giving false readings. Which is why I like the recirc option, but think you should plan on making the hydrometer easy to fish in and out for cleaning purposes.

Really cool idea though.

Bottled:
Bulk Aging:
Up Next: ???? Suggestions?

Quick Reply

Newest Threads

LATEST SPONSOR DEALS