Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!


Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Fermenters > Sanke Fermentation Vessel
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-09-2010, 04:29 PM   #1
Simphoto02
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Louisville, KY
Posts: 451
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Sanke Fermentation Vessel

Well I have a couple of those Brewer's Hardware Sanke fermentation caps. I LOVE the way they work and the quality. Only issue I have is the cleaning of the keg AFTER the beer is kegged and the trub is left behind.

How do you guys that use these things, if any, clean the inside of an un-cut sanke so it can be used again as a fermentation chamber?

__________________

HOOKED!!!!!!!!!!!!

Got tired of waiting for our savior to save the economy, so I jumped into all grain, What the hell!!!

Simphoto02 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-09-2010, 05:41 PM   #2
wyzazz
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Atwater, OH
Posts: 4,266
Liked 41 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 49

Default

Overnight Oxi Soak, or a 2 day soak if it's really bad.

__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
And I'd like to see my 1.080 beers ready from grain to glass in a week, and served to me by red-headed twin penthouse pets wearing garter belts and fishnet stockings, with Irish accents, calling me "master luv gun," but we can't always get what we want can we? :)
wyzazz is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-09-2010, 06:33 PM   #3
Ohio-Ed
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Ohio-Ed's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 2,072
Liked 19 Times on 18 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simphoto02 View Post
Well I have a couple of those Brewer's Hardware Sanke fermentation caps. I LOVE the way they work and the quality. Only issue I have is the cleaning of the keg AFTER the beer is kegged and the trub is left behind.

How do you guys that use these things, if any, clean the inside of an un-cut sanke so it can be used again as a fermentation chamber?
I found it can be a challenge.

I built a keg/carboy washer using a small utility pump. Basically just sits in a rubbermaid tub of warm oxiclean sprays and recirculates into a a vessel sitting upside down over it. I ran it for probably an hour and could still see "stuff" stuck in the keg.

I went at it with a carboy brush... did a full 15 gallon oxiclean soak for a week, attached a piece of cloth to a wooden dowel in a drill and spun it against the sides... and could STILL see bits of crap stuck really high up on the side.

For me the problem is that as hard as it is to get anything into the keg to clean it with, its just as hard to see whats actually going on in there.

I know you said un-cut, but...
I ended up cutting the top out. I made the hole smaller than the one in a keggle and used a keggle cutout, a couple clamps and a big silicon o-ring as the new top. I just fermented my first batch in it and used co2 to transfer out of the sanke, so it makes a great seal. Obviously cleanup was no problem.
__________________
Ohio-Ed is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-09-2010, 06:41 PM   #4
bwiens
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Murrieta, CA
Posts: 87
Default

I do a good rinse and then a soak with Oxy-clean for a few days. I actually have one full of solution now that has been that way for a couple of weeks. I will drain it out and give it another rinse and then hit it with some white vinegar and then a rinse with a little star san. On brew day I will put about 1 gallon of water in it and through it on a burner and let it boil for a while with the lid on it, but slightly offset and not sealed up. A good steam killing. Anything that makes it past the soaking and rinsing and boiling will not hurt anything. A dozen or so batches and not a single issue.

__________________
Wiens Brewing Company
bwiens is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-09-2010, 06:42 PM   #5
wyzazz
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Atwater, OH
Posts: 4,266
Liked 41 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 49

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwiens View Post
I do a good rinse and then a soak with Oxy-clean for a few days. I actually have one full of solution now that has been that way for a couple of weeks. I will drain it out and give it another rinse and then hit it with some white vinegar and then a rinse with a little star san. On brew day I will put about 1 gallon of water in it and through it on a burner and let it boil for a while with the lid on it, but slightly offset and not sealed up. A good steam killing. Anything that makes it past the soaking and rinsing and boiling will not hurt anything. A dozen or so batches and not a single issue.
Hmmm, I wonder if my heatstick would fit down inside of my kegs?
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
And I'd like to see my 1.080 beers ready from grain to glass in a week, and served to me by red-headed twin penthouse pets wearing garter belts and fishnet stockings, with Irish accents, calling me "master luv gun," but we can't always get what we want can we? :)
wyzazz is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-09-2010, 07:08 PM   #6
Ohio-Ed
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Ohio-Ed's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 2,072
Liked 19 Times on 18 Posts

Default

OP...

You posted this same question at least three times... What a mess.

__________________
Ohio-Ed is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-09-2010, 07:53 PM   #7
Simphoto02
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Louisville, KY
Posts: 451
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio-Ed View Post
I found it can be a challenge.

I built a keg/carboy washer using a small utility pump. Basically just sits in a rubbermaid tub of warm oxiclean sprays and recirculates into a a vessel sitting upside down over it. I ran it for probably an hour and could still see "stuff" stuck in the keg.

I went at it with a carboy brush... did a full 15 gallon oxiclean soak for a week, attached a piece of cloth to a wooden dowel in a drill and spun it against the sides... and could STILL see bits of crap stuck really high up on the side.

For me the problem is that as hard as it is to get anything into the keg to clean it with, its just as hard to see whats actually going on in there.

I know you said un-cut, but...
I ended up cutting the top out. I made the hole smaller than the one in a keggle and used a keggle cutout, a couple clamps and a big silicon o-ring as the new top. I just fermented my first batch in it and used co2 to transfer out of the sanke, so it makes a great seal. Obviously cleanup was no problem.
This is what I tried, but can not get a good seal.



Please elaborate on your set-up.
__________________

HOOKED!!!!!!!!!!!!

Got tired of waiting for our savior to save the economy, so I jumped into all grain, What the hell!!!

Simphoto02 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-09-2010, 07:55 PM   #8
Simphoto02
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Louisville, KY
Posts: 451
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio-Ed View Post
OP...

You posted this same question at least three times... What a mess.
I know. Sorry, but I could not decide the best location.
__________________

HOOKED!!!!!!!!!!!!

Got tired of waiting for our savior to save the economy, so I jumped into all grain, What the hell!!!

Simphoto02 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-09-2010, 08:00 PM   #9
WortMonger
United States Mashtronaut
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
WortMonger's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Edmond, OK, Oklahoma
Posts: 3,143
Liked 28 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default

Oxyclean or PBW! Then rinse well. Then more oxyclean/PBW if you need it. It isn't hard to make a stick mirror if you are too overly paranoid (a one inch square stick with some of that plastic mirror on it, and a flashlight). Trust me, this ain't my first rodeo. I absolutely love using a keg as a fermenter that I can always go back to using "as a keg."

__________________
"Beer... Nutritious and Delicious!"

"It's like a 15.5 gallon Mr. Beer!"
WortMonger is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-09-2010, 08:12 PM   #10
Ohio-Ed
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Ohio-Ed's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 2,072
Liked 19 Times on 18 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simphoto02 View Post
This is what I tried, but can not get a good seal.

Please elaborate on your set-up.
Your new "lid" is probably flexing where your clamps are applying pressure. Cut a donut from 3/4" plywood with an OD that will fit inside the keg handles and an ID smaller than your o-ring (I used a 6" hole saw). Put it under your clamps to distribute the pressure.

I'm clamping from the top, so I used several plywood rings.
__________________
Ohio-Ed is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply



Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Countertop Single Vessel Brewery! ScubaSteve Brew Stands 57 01-29-2013 05:56 PM
one vessel brewing system cheese Brew Stands 21 09-01-2011 06:46 AM
Whats an appropriate wattage element for this RIMS vessel? pickles Brew Stands 21 01-27-2010 08:36 PM
Any modifications needed to convert chest freezer to fermentation vessel?? bgough Fermenters 11 03-31-2009 03:54 PM
Single Tier 3 Vessel Burner Question Displaced MassHole Brew Stands 0 10-29-2008 06:08 PM



Newest Threads

LATEST SPONSOR DEALS