Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Fermenters > Sanke Fermentation Vessel

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-09-2010, 04:29 PM   #1
Simphoto02
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Sanke Fermentation Vessel

Well I have a couple of those Brewer's Hardware Sanke fermentation caps. I LOVE the way they work and the quality. Only issue I have is the cleaning of the keg AFTER the beer is kegged and the trub is left behind.

How do you guys that use these things, if any, clean the inside of an un-cut sanke so it can be used again as a fermentation chamber?

HOOKED!!!!!!!!!!!!

Got tired of waiting for our savior to save the economy, so I jumped into all grain, What the hell!!!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-09-2010, 05:41 PM   #2
wyzazz
Recipes 

Liked 41 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 49

Overnight Oxi Soak, or a 2 day soak if it's really bad.

And I'd like to see my 1.080 beers ready from grain to glass in a week, and served to me by red-headed twin penthouse pets wearing garter belts and fishnet stockings, with Irish accents, calling me "master luv gun," but we can't always get what we want can we? :)

Old 08-09-2010, 06:33 PM   #3
Ohio-Ed
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 18 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simphoto02 View Post
Well I have a couple of those Brewer's Hardware Sanke fermentation caps. I LOVE the way they work and the quality. Only issue I have is the cleaning of the keg AFTER the beer is kegged and the trub is left behind.

How do you guys that use these things, if any, clean the inside of an un-cut sanke so it can be used again as a fermentation chamber?
I found it can be a challenge.

I built a keg/carboy washer using a small utility pump. Basically just sits in a rubbermaid tub of warm oxiclean sprays and recirculates into a a vessel sitting upside down over it. I ran it for probably an hour and could still see "stuff" stuck in the keg.

I went at it with a carboy brush... did a full 15 gallon oxiclean soak for a week, attached a piece of cloth to a wooden dowel in a drill and spun it against the sides... and could STILL see bits of crap stuck really high up on the side.

For me the problem is that as hard as it is to get anything into the keg to clean it with, its just as hard to see whats actually going on in there.

I know you said un-cut, but...
I ended up cutting the top out. I made the hole smaller than the one in a keggle and used a keggle cutout, a couple clamps and a big silicon o-ring as the new top. I just fermented my first batch in it and used co2 to transfer out of the sanke, so it makes a great seal. Obviously cleanup was no problem.

Old 08-09-2010, 06:41 PM   #4
bwiens
Recipes 

I do a good rinse and then a soak with Oxy-clean for a few days. I actually have one full of solution now that has been that way for a couple of weeks. I will drain it out and give it another rinse and then hit it with some white vinegar and then a rinse with a little star san. On brew day I will put about 1 gallon of water in it and through it on a burner and let it boil for a while with the lid on it, but slightly offset and not sealed up. A good steam killing. Anything that makes it past the soaking and rinsing and boiling will not hurt anything. A dozen or so batches and not a single issue.

Old 08-09-2010, 06:42 PM   #5
wyzazz
Recipes 

Liked 41 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwiens View Post
I do a good rinse and then a soak with Oxy-clean for a few days. I actually have one full of solution now that has been that way for a couple of weeks. I will drain it out and give it another rinse and then hit it with some white vinegar and then a rinse with a little star san. On brew day I will put about 1 gallon of water in it and through it on a burner and let it boil for a while with the lid on it, but slightly offset and not sealed up. A good steam killing. Anything that makes it past the soaking and rinsing and boiling will not hurt anything. A dozen or so batches and not a single issue.
Hmmm, I wonder if my heatstick would fit down inside of my kegs?
And I'd like to see my 1.080 beers ready from grain to glass in a week, and served to me by red-headed twin penthouse pets wearing garter belts and fishnet stockings, with Irish accents, calling me "master luv gun," but we can't always get what we want can we? :)

Old 08-09-2010, 07:08 PM   #6
Ohio-Ed

Recipes 

OP...

You posted this same question at least three times... What a mess.

Old 08-09-2010, 07:53 PM   #7
Simphoto02
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio-Ed View Post
I found it can be a challenge.

I built a keg/carboy washer using a small utility pump. Basically just sits in a rubbermaid tub of warm oxiclean sprays and recirculates into a a vessel sitting upside down over it. I ran it for probably an hour and could still see "stuff" stuck in the keg.

I went at it with a carboy brush... did a full 15 gallon oxiclean soak for a week, attached a piece of cloth to a wooden dowel in a drill and spun it against the sides... and could STILL see bits of crap stuck really high up on the side.

For me the problem is that as hard as it is to get anything into the keg to clean it with, its just as hard to see whats actually going on in there.

I know you said un-cut, but...
I ended up cutting the top out. I made the hole smaller than the one in a keggle and used a keggle cutout, a couple clamps and a big silicon o-ring as the new top. I just fermented my first batch in it and used co2 to transfer out of the sanke, so it makes a great seal. Obviously cleanup was no problem.
This is what I tried, but can not get a good seal.

Please elaborate on your set-up.

HOOKED!!!!!!!!!!!!

Got tired of waiting for our savior to save the economy, so I jumped into all grain, What the hell!!!

Old 08-09-2010, 07:55 PM   #8
Simphoto02
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio-Ed View Post
OP...

You posted this same question at least three times... What a mess.
I know. Sorry, but I could not decide the best location.

HOOKED!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 08-09-2010, 08:00 PM   #9
WortMonger
United States Mashtronaut

Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Oxyclean or PBW! Then rinse well. Then more oxyclean/PBW if you need it. It isn't hard to make a stick mirror if you are too overly paranoid (a one inch square stick with some of that plastic mirror on it, and a flashlight). Trust me, this ain't my first rodeo. I absolutely love using a keg as a fermenter that I can always go back to using "as a keg."

"It's like a 15.5 gallon Mr. Beer!"

Old 08-09-2010, 08:12 PM   #10
Ohio-Ed

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simphoto02 View Post
This is what I tried, but can not get a good seal.

Please elaborate on your set-up.
Your new "lid" is probably flexing where your clamps are applying pressure. Cut a donut from 3/4" plywood with an OD that will fit inside the keg handles and an ID smaller than your o-ring (I used a 6" hole saw). Put it under your clamps to distribute the pressure.

I'm clamping from the top, so I used several plywood rings.

Quick Reply