Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Fermenters > no output from STC-1000

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-02-2011, 08:19 PM   #1
twd000
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default no output from STC-1000

I bought two 110V STC-1000 controllers off eBay for my side-by-side fridge conversion. I got them wired into a box and turned it on. The default values are left as-is, so there is a 3 minute compressor delay where the cooling light blinks. After the delay, I hear the relay snap, the red light stays on and...nothing. I get no power to the switched outlet I wired to Unit #1, nor the bare leads I wired to Unit #2. I tried plugging in various electrical devices, fans, etc just to see if it would run them (haven't plugged in fridge yet).

The directions and sticker on the controller say 11V supply, 220V output (wouldn't that be impossible?). But I opened the box and the Zettler magnetics sticker clearly lists 115V@60kHz AC.

So I'm confused. Should I expect my multimeter to read 100V across the output side once the red cooling light on on? I'm not getting any reading.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-02-2011, 08:21 PM   #2
Walker
I use secondaries. :p
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 86 Times on 77 Posts
Likes Given: 11

It seems a common mistake for people to think that the two terminals on the relay (like, terminals 7 & 8 of the controller) act as a "power outlet", and they try to hook the hot and neutral lines of their fridge or heater to pins 7 & 8.

Is that what you did?

Old 12-02-2011, 08:43 PM   #3
janivar123
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 3

yep in other words the stc-1000 is one thermostat controller and 2 separate switches
7 and 8 is in and out...

Nothing too interesting yet
deamonale
A work in progress just like my beer

Old 12-02-2011, 10:25 PM   #4
twd000
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walker View Post
It seems a common mistake for people to think that the two terminals on the relay (like, terminals 7 & 8 of the controller) act as a "power outlet", and they try to hook the hot and neutral lines of their fridge or heater to pins 7 & 8.

Is that what you did?
Yes, I hooked 7 to the white side of the power outlet, and 8 to the black side of the outlet. Is that not right? How should I be connecting it?

Old 12-02-2011, 10:28 PM   #5
samc
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 54 Times on 51 Posts
Likes Given: 29

You use the terminals to interrupt the hot side, black usually if you do things right.

Old 12-02-2011, 10:53 PM   #6
twd000
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

OK, I found a wiring diagram that matches what you described - you have to talk real slow and use small words around us Mechanical Engineers ;-)

Old 12-03-2011, 02:56 AM   #7
cwi
Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by twd000 View Post
OK, I found a wiring diagram that matches what you described - you have to talk real slow and use small words around us Mechanical Engineers ;-)
I remember the special "Circuits for Non-believers" class they had for you guys.
Did your controller not have a stick figure drawing of a switch on the sticker above the terminals?

Old 12-03-2011, 03:57 AM   #8
twd000
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwi View Post
I remember the special "Circuits for Non-believers" class they had for you guys.
Did your controller not have a stick figure drawing of a switch on the sticker above the terminals?

yeah, in fact it did have a diagram. Same one you see here in the bottom right corner. http://www.rise.com.hk/ebayproducts/...oller_mini.pdf

Being an ME, I interpreted it literally like a plumbing diagram and hooked up A to B...

Old 12-03-2011, 04:35 AM   #9
cwi
Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
yeah, in fact it did have a diagram. Same one you see here in the bottom right corner. http://www.rise.com.hk/ebayproducts/...oller_mini.pdf

Being an ME, I interpreted it literally like a plumbing diagram and hooked up A to B...
So that's how the three stooges got the water to come out of the chandelier when the light switch was flipped. Always wondered about that.

Old 12-04-2011, 03:03 PM   #10
nutsok
Recipes 

Quote:

I too did the same thing but I am not using or making a whole electrical box. Can you dumb this down for me even more. I'm only using this for cooling so I'm wiring it straight in. From my wall outlet, I have that power cable going to 1 and 2 of the controller. And I have 7 and 8 going to the freezer. (1 & 8 are hot, 2 & 7 are the nuetrals) Please tell me how to set this up.

Quick Reply