Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Fermenters > mini cold box project.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-03-2007, 02:42 AM   #31
Uncle Argyle
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

I am posting a pic of the part that worried me the most, the cold box area. I have completed the framing and the foam...it came out as well as could be expected (for my skill level anyway). I added some liquid foam to fill in the seams...still need to secure the fridge and seal that up as well.

Next I have to clean up the edges and build the door. This part has me stumped a little...I think I am going to go with a piano hinge and hasp on the other side...i need to make sure I have a good seal with door, so I may have to spend some time mulling this one over. Any suggestions??

Is there a foam strip that I can use as the door seal? Like a 1/4" thick 2 to 3" wide foam like tape strip?

p1010009-small-.jpg  

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-03-2007, 11:44 PM   #32
eriktlupus
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts

home supply store (lowes, menards, hd) should have door seals for house doors. ya buy it in strips or rolls and cut to length

Old 02-05-2007, 05:11 AM   #33
Daburban
Recipes 

I wonder if it would be possible to ditch the fridge box and use just the cooling parts from it on your keg sized box... call me crazy

Old 02-05-2007, 05:15 AM   #34
Dude
Will work for beer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 58 Times on 48 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Argyle, are you going to put a shelf up above for bottled beers? Seems like some wasted space up there.....

Up Next: Smoked Porter -- Pub Ale -- Watermelon Wheat
Planning:
Gone But Not Forgotten:

www.IronOrrBrewery.com

Old 02-05-2007, 02:12 PM   #35
Uncle Argyle

Recipes 

eriklupust, thanks for the comments. I went to Home Depot for ideas and ended up looking at rubber weather stripping...seemed very similar to the material on fridge doors. They claimed they didn't have replacement fridge door stripping, this was the closest thing I found.

Daburban...you're crazy! ;-) I had thought about removing the guts of the fridge, but I had no idea how to even start something like that...and most likely would've ended up breaking a something...this seemed easier.

Dude, I'm not sure what space you are referring to. There isn't enough space above the kegs and the space above the fridge will be outside of the cold box area. I didn't want to expand the cold box area beyond the size required for the kegs as I believe I will be pushing the limits of this dorm fridge as it is.

Thanks for all the questions and help,

Uncle Argyle

Old 02-10-2007, 04:01 AM   #36
mcody2005

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

long time no post, but it's good to see you have made so much progress!. my idea for a door seal uses magnetic tape. it's available at craft stores. i think most fridge seals use flexible magnetic tape inside the extruded rubber gasket. TEST- close your fridge door slowly while watching the gap between the seal and the steel fridge shell, at a certain distance, the seal will attract the door and allmost instantly cling to it!
I wouldn't waste my time trying to feed a thin magnetic strip through the hollow of a rubber/foam seal, but what if you put them side by side, so that the magnetic strip clenches to the door or cabinet just as seal compresses enough to seal the door? kinda complex and precise, but it's just an idea.

Old 02-10-2007, 02:53 PM   #37
runhard
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daburban
I wonder if it would be possible to ditch the fridge box and use just the cooling parts from it on your keg sized box... call me crazy
Possible maybe, difficult yes. Most conventional refrigeration systems will have the compressor, an expansion valve, compressor coils and evaporative coils. Removing all of those without causing a leak would be tough but I guess possible. I'd like to know if anyone has been successful but I'm certainly too afraid to try it.

Old 02-25-2007, 02:56 PM   #38
Uncle Argyle

Recipes 

After coming across a great deal on a 4.9 cu.ft. Kenmore Elite, I've decided to abandon this project. I got to a point where I was starting to spend money on a lot of little things and figured that I'd rather spend a few more and have a nice working unit. I still have no idea how well this would have worked...

Having said that, if anyone is interested in continuing this project I will glady let them take it off my hands (fridge included!). It will save me having to take it apart and throw it away.

I can deliver in the central MA area, although it has to be after dark as I have a out-of-date inspection sticker on the truck ;-)

Thanks to all that have offered advice and support...I have an odd feeling that I am letting someone down...LOL!

PM me if you're interested.

Mike ~ Uncle Argyle

Quick Reply