Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Fermenters > kick-a$$ fermenter

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-18-2009, 04:25 PM   #1
hayabusa
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default kick-a$$ fermenter

no reason why it needs to be a round carboy.

This is recycle-code 2; easy to clean, no major areas to harbor bugs and super easy to sanitze. The cap has a spigot hole that fits a airlock perfectly and the spigot fits a hose when it comes time to transfer; just attach and begin to tip the whole unit.

EdWort's recipie is breaking the cherry on mine. 7-gal capacity and BPA free

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-18-2009, 04:26 PM   #2
Chello
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

How much are they and where do you get them?

"Retail is for suckers."

Old 02-18-2009, 04:28 PM   #3
JMSetzler
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 24

Someone else posted something like this recently but I don't remember where it is located now. The 'easy to clean' part was part of that discussion. To me, it doesn't look particularly easy to clean. The shape of that top surface might actually make it difficult to get in there with a brush and clean. I'll be curious to see how it goes... please update when possible

Kamado Joe Cooking Channel - Grillin' up a Storm!

Old 02-18-2009, 04:30 PM   #4
GilaMinumBeer
In yo' garage, steelin' yo parts.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 4962 Times on 4525 Posts
Likes Given: 60

Yeah. Put a BIG RIS in that thing, wait for the Kreusen to find every nook and then tell us how easy it was to get the crud outta the handle.

Old 02-18-2009, 04:32 PM   #5
hayabusa
Recipes 

its 7-gal capacity and it's a square - the krausen will not likely reach the handle and even if it does some warm water and oxy-clean or starsan, capping it up and shaking it works wonders. I turned 1-gallon of starsan into 7 gallons of foam; draining it was easy too - just leave the vent cap tight, tip upside down and give it a squeeze, shake and repeat - almost all the foam evac'd the unit.

Old 02-18-2009, 04:34 PM   #6
hayabusa
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GilaMinumBeer View Post
Yeah. Put a BIG RIS in that thing, wait for the Kreusen to find every nook and then tell us how easy it was to get the crud outta the handle.
probably not for a big ris - that doesn't discount its greatness for other beers and wines.

Old 02-18-2009, 04:41 PM   #7
Papinquack
Recipes 

I'd be a little paranoid using that as a primary. The handle narrows and krausen could get lodged in any nooks and crannies hidden in there and become a potental breeder of nasties. I also dont like that you wont be able to see the tip of your auto siphon so you increase the chances that you'll suck spent hops and krausen into your secondary.If your comfortable with it and confident you can keep it sanitized properly go for it! I wouldn't use it.

Old 02-18-2009, 04:57 PM   #8
hayabusa
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papinquack View Post
I'd be a little paranoid using that as a primary. The handle narrows and krausen could get lodged in any nooks and crannies hidden in there and become a potental breeder of nasties. I also dont like that you wont be able to see the tip of your auto siphon so you increase the chances that you'll suck spent hops and krausen into your secondary.If your comfortable with it and confident you can keep it sanitized properly go for it! I wouldn't use it.
no need to siphon - has a built in spigot that you can attach hose and roll forward.

Old 02-18-2009, 05:10 PM   #9
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2777 Times on 1661 Posts
Likes Given: 3489

I know there's a couple people on here who ferment in the smaller (narrower) ones and if you look in the latest byo in the JOHN PALMER article you will see the Aussies use one similar to the narrow ones..

This 7 gallon is intriguing, but I will add some caution about the ability to clear all the krauzen from the gaps. I often use a 3 gallon Better bottle, which is square as well, but it is clear...

Krauzen does get caught in the squarish shoulders of it, and unfortunately my jet carboy/washer cleaner even has a difficult time hitting it...BUT oxyclean, water and vigourous shaking and rinsing does free the junk...

But I can see it....

I'm not gonna dissuade you from using it...I love innovation, and you are not the first on here to ferment in them, and now you got me wondering about larger sizes....

What I would do though is get an illuminated dental mirror...

AND a flexible LED light

and use them both after you clean in out to make SURE you get every piece of biomatter out of it.....Even sticking the flex light into that back drain and use the mirror in the bigger mouth.

If you are a sloppy/lazy brewer I wouldn't recommend using one of those aqutainers.....but if you have a bit of anality about it and use a flex light and mirror, and methodically look, and rinse and look again, you should be fine...

You may even wanna make a bendy cleaning tool, like cut up a sponge (not a rough scrubby but a natural sponge) and mount it on something that you can stick in to use to clean out any corners...

Have fun and keep us posted at cleanup....

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 02-20-2009, 03:33 AM   #10
airmek
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
I know there's a couple people on here who ferment in the smaller (narrower) ones and if you look in the latest byo in the JOHN PALMER article you will see the Aussies use one similar to the narrow ones..

This 7 gallon is intriguing, but I will add some caution about the ability to clear all the krauzen from the gaps. I often use a 3 gallon Better bottle, which is square as well, but it is clear...

Krauzen does get caught in the squarish shoulders of it, and unfortunately my jet carboy/washer cleaner even has a difficult time hitting it...BUT oxyclean, water and vigourous shaking and rinsing does free the junk...

But I can see it....

I'm not gonna dissuade you from using it...I love innovation, and you are not the first on here to ferment in them, and now you got me wondering about larger sizes....

What I would do though is get an illuminated dental mirror...

AND a flexible LED light

and use them both after you clean in out to make SURE you get every piece of biomatter out of it.....Even sticking the flex light into that back drain and use the mirror in the bigger mouth.

If you are a sloppy/lazy brewer I wouldn't recommend using one of those aqutainers.....but if you have a bit of anality about it and use a flex light and mirror, and methodically look, and rinse and look again, you should be fine...

You may even wanna make a bendy cleaning tool, like cut up a sponge (not a rough scrubby but a natural sponge) and mount it on something that you can stick in to use to clean out any corners...

Have fun and keep us posted at cleanup....

Got ya covered on the mirror and flex light...........check this out:
eBay Motors: Visual Optics Video Inspection Borescope View Scope (item 370155641212 end time Mar-08-09 09:42:27 PDT)

Quick Reply