Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Fermenters > Hot Box idea

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-18-2010, 03:44 PM   #1
Guntr
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Hot Box idea

Here's my problem. We use a programmable thermostat to keep our house at 20 C (68 F) during the mornings, evenings, and weekends, and drop to 15 C (59 F) during the daytime when we're at work and at night. This just about cuts our heating bills in half. Since I started brewing again I temporarily upped the daytime/night temp to 18 C (64 F).

To save on heating I would really like to get this back down, and I would also like to set up my brewing in the basement which is usually a couple degrees cooler.

I was thinking about building an insulated box big enough for about a half dozen buckets & carboys and install some sort of heater and thermostat. Does anyone see a problem with using one of those heating light bulbs you see in some bathrooms? I believe they are in the lower infrared end of the spectrum so shouldn't harm the beer right?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-18-2010, 04:11 PM   #2
ScubaSteve

Recipes 

Liked 68 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 11

They make heating pads that also work well. I think if you insulate the box well, you should have no problem getting 5F above ambient. Sounds crazy, but I bet you could find a non-functioning chest freezer for free and it would work fantastically. People are trying to get rid of them all the time.....not sure if Canada has Craigslist and Freecycle...but you could look around.

Old 01-18-2010, 04:47 PM   #3
Brewmoor
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 13

OOOHHHHHHHh that kind of hot box. My Bad. I was having flashbacks from college reading the title.

"What the mind can conceive and believe, the mind can achieve."

My build thread. Compact Single Tier!

Old 01-18-2010, 05:51 PM   #4
Mista_Sparkle
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I did the same sort of thing with my fridge that broke a couple weeks ago, works pretty well.

Primary #1+Auxiliary: Burning River Pale Ale clone
Primary #2: empty
Primary #3: EdWorts Apfelwein #4
Conditioning/Drinking:Brewers Best Belgian Tripel, Apfelwein #3, EdWorts Apfelwein #2, Cranapple Wine, Routers Share Network Closet Strong Scotch Ale, McCormack's Old Malt Oatmeal Stout

Old 01-18-2010, 06:14 PM   #5
Guntr
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScubaSteve View Post
They make heating pads that also work well. I think if you insulate the box well, you should have no problem getting 5F above ambient. Sounds crazy, but I bet you could find a non-functioning chest freezer for free and it would work fantastically. People are trying to get rid of them all the time.....not sure if Canada has Craigslist and Freecycle...but you could look around.
Interesting idea... We do have Craigslist, but it doesn't seem as popular around here as it is down there.

Old 01-18-2010, 06:22 PM   #6
ThePig
Recipes 

Look around and see if you can find a drum heater that fits your carboy. I use them on my keg fermentor and they work great. Here's an example: http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/items/3CDA3?Pid=search

Grainger has a boatload of different types and sizes. More expensive than a heating blanket, but they're made for constant operation and durability.

Old 01-18-2010, 06:36 PM   #7
tonkota
Recipes 

I have my fermentation room in the basement with a very small forced air heater and line voltage thermostat. We keep our home at 65*F during the day, 62*F at night and 50* when not at home.

My room isn't usable for much besides storage and measures 6'H x 6'W x 10'L. It used to be the coal room but now sports brewing. I used 2" rigid foam insulation on all surfaces and It works very well.

At any rate, you can use any heat source with a line voltage thermostat. I wouldn't use a heat lamp, the heat would not be transferred around your hot box very well.

Arron - quality over quantity beer drinker

Old 01-18-2010, 06:49 PM   #8
Julohan
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I have a small closet, that I ferment in in the winter. I use a ceramic heater that I got years ago. You can set it to desired ambient temp and it will turn off when it reaches it. That was the easiest solution for me.

Old 01-18-2010, 06:58 PM   #9
Guntr
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonkota View Post
At any rate, you can use any heat source with a line voltage thermostat. I wouldn't use a heat lamp, the heat would not be transferred around your hot box very well.
My plan was to use a line voltage thermostat for sure. I do have a small space heater I could use, but was worried it would be too much for a 4'x3'x3' (ish) box even with a line voltage thermostat.

Old 01-18-2010, 10:01 PM   #10
tonkota
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guntr View Post
My plan was to use a line voltage thermostat for sure. I do have a small space heater I could use, but was worried it would be too much for a 4'x3'x3' (ish) box even with a line voltage thermostat.
That is a pretty small space. You will not need much wattage if the box is insulated well. You might pickup 20' of heat cable (~5W/foot) which would be about 100W. You could weave the cable around the box and have great distribution.

http://www.acehardwareoutlet.com/%28...rce=GoogleBase

BTW, I put this in my dogs house and poured concrete over it for winter time heat. He rarely comes out of his house

Arron - quality over quantity beer drinker

Quick Reply