Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Fermenters > Fridge Ferm Chamber - Min Temp

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-30-2011, 11:39 PM   #1
luke2080
Insert Witty Title Here..
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 16 Posts

Default Fridge Ferm Chamber - Min Temp

For those of you that have built or used a fermentation chamber, using a mini-fridge: What is the lowest temperature you can maintain.

After lots of liquid nails, cursing, improper tools, no work space, and screws that wouldn't go in all the way, my ferm chamber is done. Used the old college dorm fridge. But it seems the lowest temp I can get it to maintain is 53. I was hoping to at least be able to maintain as low as 45.

My pic for this is attached. Did I just build on too much for the one fridge? I don't have a fan inside for circulation, so I should put that in. Any other quick and easy options for me to lower the temp? The inside of this has two layers of styrofoam insulation, and lots of caulk. I can't find anywhere, where air is noticeably escaping.

wp_000146-640x480-.jpg  

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-30-2011, 11:57 PM   #2
tmurph6
Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Could be the fridge isn't charged with refrigerant if it's old.

Old 12-31-2011, 12:00 AM   #3
luke2080
Insert Witty Title Here..
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 16 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmurph6 View Post
Could be the fridge isn't charged with refrigerant if it's old.
I was using it as a fridge up until the day before, and the mini-freezer inside it was frozen. I do need to be sure I don't fry it by continuing to try to go lower than 53, but it is still charged with refrigerant.

Old 12-31-2011, 02:04 AM   #4
MrMeans
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

i was having issues with maintaining a low temp with mine for a while. I had my temp probe at one end my cooling unit at the other. I moved my temperature prob to the middle of the chamber then added two small 4" desk fans. They are in opposing corners of the chamber. One blows towards the far wall, and the fan mounted on the far wall blows back against the cooling unit. It helped a bit. You have to remember that fridge was never made to cool that large of a space so you have to help it along.

Always do drunk what you said you would do sober.

Quick Reply