Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Fermenters > Fermwrap or flexwatt for heating

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-24-2013, 05:40 AM   #11
New_Climber
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
I am using the 1/2" OD thermowell from StainlessBrewing.com WORKS GREAT!
Do you have any issues with sanitation of the thermoweld? I would think you can take the cap at the end of the probe apart to clean it..but any other issues? I would be using this on a carboy, and already have the cap with 2 outlets...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-24-2013, 05:57 AM   #12
lschiavo
Drinks Beer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 782 Times on 522 Posts
Likes Given: 541

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huaco View Post
I am using the 1/2" OD thermowell from StainlessBrewing.com WORKS GREAT!

Also, I am using the reptile basics 12" heat tape wrapped around my large malt drum fermentor... I have multi-temp control in my ferm chamber and right now, I am lagering one a beer at 37 and have an ale (Dus Alt) fermenting away at 60*F. The tape give a NICE GENTLE heat to the carboy.

See my signature for other details but here is a shot of the heat tape wrapped as well as the thermowell to accommodate the STC-1000 probe. I have since adjusted the heat tape wrap to be wrapped more straight and not spiraled. I noticed it was actually spiraled up above the wort level at 11 gallons.
I thought the spiral look was quite sexy actually. You should consult with me before making such drastic changes in the future

Me? I just use a little 500W space heater/love controller in my freezer. It's been-20 out there lately but 63 for the beer always!

Old 01-24-2013, 02:11 PM   #13
Huaco
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 111 Times on 69 Posts
Likes Given: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by New_Climber View Post
Do you have any issues with sanitation of the thermoweld? I would think you can take the cap at the end of the probe apart to clean it..but any other issues? I would be using this on a carboy, and already have the cap with 2 outlets...
Yeah, it can be taken off.

Since it is all stainless, I make sure it gets good and clean after it is used and then throw it in the boil kettle for the last few minutes. That will kill off anything that may be lurking around in the little crevices.

Old 01-24-2013, 05:29 PM   #14
revansCAAD8
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 161

Good info! I place my 6.5gal plastic fermenters and 5gal Better Bottle Carboys into soft bag coolers ("Thermal Tote" -Pic attached) to help control temps. Would there be any issue/concern with using the TGH Heat Tape or a 'Ultratherm Heat Pad' (low watt) inside & likely touching the side of the bag? If not, what size would you recommend? FYI, we spend winters in southern AZ so doesn't generally get that cold here.

Since I also just completed a STC-1000 Temp Controller build, I though I would use it to control the heat?

Thanks for any help!
Robert
GypsyBrew

20121015_000004003.jpg   20130118_000004226.jpg  

Old 10-20-2013, 05:28 PM   #15
JoppaFarms
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Not to bring an old thread up from the dead, but...well, yes to bring it up haha. I just bought 4 ft of the 12" flexwatt tape to put in my ferm chamber. I was hoping I could use it to heat my ferms up to 90-100F for finishing saisons and to sour wort. I installed it and I believe it's heating but not very well. The temps of a beer bottle with water in it haven't changed but 0.1 degree in about 2 hours. Do you think this material will be sufficient to bring temps up to the range I need them or should I find another way to do that? Just hate to waste the $26 I paid.

I have it wrapped around three of the walls inside the chamber, not around the individual fermenter. I'd prefer not to do the latter if possible, since it would be just another thing to manage putting on and taking off and would get frustrating I'm sure. Thoughts?

Old 10-20-2013, 07:12 PM   #16
JoppaFarms
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Disregard! Wire came loose during install. Fixed it and there is definitely some warmth to the touch now. Whew.

Old 10-22-2013, 05:22 PM   #17
BadNewsBrewery
Basement Brewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 116 Times on 95 Posts
Likes Given: 55

I still don't know if you'll see those temperatures - what is the wrap you ordered rated at? Most of the time these are designed to be in direct contact with whatever their heating - you put it under the glass in a terrarium(sp?) to heat the ground for the critters. In direct contact with a 6.5gal glass carboy, I've had no problem maintaining temperatures into the low 70s while the basement is in the high 40s. It may be able to go higher, but air is a great insulator so if you're just wrapping it on the inside of your ferm chamber I'm not sure how effective it would be, especially at those higher temperatures.

-Kevin

2014:
5gal Scottish Wee Heavy
5gal Saison
15gal American Pale Ale
20gal Belgian Wit
10gal Oktoberfest
10gal Southern Pecan Ale

Keg 1: Apfelwein
Keg 2: Oktoberfest
Keg 3: Southern Pecan

On Deck: Winter Spice Ale
Stealthcruiser Likes This 
Old 10-22-2013, 05:29 PM   #18
BigBug
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Hairdryer connected to a temp controller. Circulates the air and raises temperatures quickly and has the added bonus of gfci protection on the plug. I've used it to get temps in the mid 90s for saison so far but I'm sure it could go higher

Old 10-23-2013, 02:32 AM   #19
JoppaFarms
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsBrewery View Post
I still don't know if you'll see those temperatures - what is the wrap you ordered rated at?
If this question was directed at me, it's rated at 23W per foot, so at roughly 3.5 ft that equals math-are-hard. But it heated a beer bottle of water to 99 degrees once I fixed the wiring. It may have kept going but I turned it off at 99.

Quick Reply