Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Fermenters > Fermenter Idea - Fluid dynamicist needed

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-22-2008, 06:10 PM   #1
korndog
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Default Fermenter Idea - Fluid dynamicist needed

Say, I was thinking about converting a stainless steel kettle I have into a fermenter.
I am planning on welding a false bottom into the vessel in order to accumulate trub and lees at the dump valve. Does anyone know if this concept would work? I am concerned that the steep vertical side of the kettle would negatively impact the flow of sediment along the bottom once the valve is opened. Thanks for your help.

"..can the human soul be glimpsed through a microscope? Maybe, but you'd definitely need one of those very good ones with two eyepieces."

Twitter: LarryKonis

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-30-2008, 05:16 PM   #2
KwaiLo
Recipes 

Not a fluid dynamicist, but I have designed a number of waste water treatment units, that work.

I agree that that vertical wall will be what channels the liquid, and the trub above the original outlet line will remain in place.

I would also be concerned that the oval shaped piece of stainless steel required would be a very tough weld. I think that you would be better to not dump, just use the keg as a carboy that can accept pressure, (assuming there is a good seal on the lid). There have been a number of great examples of this posted in the forums here.

Old 04-30-2008, 07:51 PM   #3
korndog

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by KwaiLo
Not a fluid dynamicist, but I have designed a number of waste water treatment units, that work.

I agree that that vertical wall will be what channels the liquid, and the trub above the original outlet line will remain in place.

I would also be concerned that the oval shaped piece of stainless steel required would be a very tough weld. I think that you would be better to not dump, just use the keg as a carboy that can accept pressure, (assuming there is a good seal on the lid). There have been a number of great examples of this posted in the forums here.
Ok thanks. All makes sense.

"..can the human soul be glimpsed through a microscope? Maybe, but you'd definitely need one of those very good ones with two eyepieces."

Twitter: LarryKonis

Old 05-10-2009, 03:13 PM   #4
sjlammer
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I agree. not the best idea. by the time you get that piece in and welded, you could cut the bottom off the pot and weld a conical hopper onto it.

<----- water supply engineer

On Deck: Spruce APA, Chambord Fortified Chocolate Porter, Imperial IPA

Primary:
Primary:
Secondary: Belgian Dark Strong Ale
Conical:
Lagering: None
Kegged/Drinking: Cascade, Cent., Amarillo Pale Ale
Kegged/Drinking: Belgian Pale Ale (HG yeast for yeast cropping see above)
Bottled: ESB

Quick Reply