Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Fermenters > Fermentation upright freezer

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-09-2014, 09:19 PM   #1
instinct2
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Default Fermentation upright freezer

Today was the big day of using our new fermentation freezer with a 12 gallon batch of Oktoberfest. Hooked up the Johnson control 419 last night and everything seemed to be working correctly. Loaded the carboys in this morning and closed the door. Went out three hours later to find the freezer not working. I unplugged the Johnson control and plugged the freezer straight to the wall and still the compressor won't turn on. The frigidaire 20.6 digital display still works, interior light works, but it's not giving a high temp reading and clicking the compressor on. Is the sensor inside the freezer bad? Did the Johnson control screw something up with electronic's of the freezer? Thoughts anyone? I threw the carboys in my keezer, until I get this figured out...

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-09-2014, 10:36 PM   #2
instinct2
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Could the Johnson control be hard wired to override the computer display and internal sensor? Have it run solely off the Johnson a419?

Old 08-09-2014, 11:11 PM   #3
day_trippr
Recipes 

Liked 1388 Times on 1120 Posts

Hopefully the OP left the freezer plugged into a functional outlet sans A419 long enough to allow the freezer's anti-short-cycle delay to expire...

Cheers!

Old 08-09-2014, 11:14 PM   #4
MindenMan
Recipes 

Liked 248 Times on 185 Posts
Likes Given: 39

A compressor has three leads: common, run, and start.
The common ground, is usually White, the Black lead is usually the run or "hot" lead, and the start lead is usually Red. If you can sort out the wiring diagram, bypassing the built in controls, you should be good to go.

Old 08-10-2014, 12:59 AM   #5
instinct2
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by day_trippr View Post
Hopefully the OP left the freezer plugged into a functional outlet sans A419 long enough to allow the freezer's anti-short-cycle delay to expire...

Cheers!
I'm sorry but I don't understand what your saying... If I did whatever your stating how do I fix it?

Old 08-10-2014, 01:19 AM   #6
day_trippr
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by instinct2 View Post
I'm sorry but I don't understand what your saying... If I did whatever your stating how do I fix it?
Many if not most compressor-equipped appliances have a device that prevents "short-cycling" the compressor. It's essentially a timer, often with a fixed 5 minute duration, that starts ticking when the compressor shuts off. Until those 5 minutes expire, even if the thermostat is calling for "cold", the compressor won't get power. So if you didn't give the freezer enough time before unplugging it you'd never know that it was/might actually be ok.

fwiw, nearly all of the external/add-on controllers (including the A-419) have the same function, usually adjustable...

Cheers!

Old 08-10-2014, 02:11 AM   #7
instinct2
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by day_trippr View Post
Many if not most compressor-equipped appliances have a device that prevents "short-cycling" the compressor. It's essentially a timer, often with a fixed 5 minute duration, that starts ticking when the compressor shuts off. Until those 5 minutes expire, even if the thermostat is calling for "cold", the compressor won't get power. So if you didn't give the freezer enough time before unplugging it you'd never know that it was/might actually be ok.

fwiw, nearly all of the external/add-on controllers (including the A-419) have the same function, usually adjustable...

Cheers!
Ok, but how go I reset this? I've unplugged it multiple times and plugged in without using the a419. Still nothing...

Old 08-10-2014, 02:23 AM   #8
day_trippr
Recipes 

There's no reset, you just leave the thing plugged in long enough to expire. So if you've left the freezer plugged in and turned on for more than 10 minutes I doubt that an ASD is what's keeping it from turning on. Unless that's the thing that died...

Cheers!

Old 08-10-2014, 02:40 AM   #9
instinct2
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Ok it's not that then...

Old 08-10-2014, 09:51 PM   #10
instinct2
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default Fermentation upright freezer

Could I cut the thermistor off and wire the two wires directly together? Let the a419 control the coolness then?

Also how would I check to see if the capacitor is bad? Is there a chance that a419 blew the capacitor with turning the freezer on and off?

Quick Reply