Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Fermenters > Fermentation chamber r-value

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-04-2013, 03:25 AM   #1
surreal_trip
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Fermentation chamber r-value

So I've lacked a fermentation area for about a year now... But SWMBO just agreed to a fermentation chamber build! The down side is that it's going to be out in my shed. So this is the plan, build a chamber big out of 3/4 inch ply layer in two inches of extruded poly and seal with foam gasket sealant. For ac ill be using a 5000 btu window unit and for heat it'll be a lightbulb. Will this handle temperatures of -25 to +35 Celsius? Cheers!

If I get another assisted living facility email, I'm going to hunt all you down, kill you one by one and then worry about the consequences. - shecky

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-04-2013, 04:05 AM   #2
n240sxguy
Recipes 

Liked 105 Times on 75 Posts

I'm in the middle of a fermentation chamber build right now. Mine's jn a garage that can be from 35-100f. I don't think the upper range would hurt you. Unless you're using a heat lamp, I don't think the light will be nearly big enough. While I was using my old fridge as a chamber this past winter, I used a 1500 watt space heater to keep temps up. Mine has a thermostat, and it worked just fine. I plan to put it in the new one I'm building too.

Old 07-04-2013, 01:24 PM   #3
Geordan
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by n240sxguy View Post
Unless you're using a heat lamp, I don't think the light will be nearly big enough. While I was using my old fridge as a chamber this past winter, I used a 1500 watt space heater to keep temps up.
Just to add some perspective, my ferm chamber is heated by a 60W incandescent bulb in an old metal coffee can wired to the "hot" side of an STC-1000. The ferm chamber is in my wood room, which often got down to -10c, and I never had an issue keeping temps at 12-16c all winter (I spent 3 months doing lagers). I have no doubt that a 100 or 150w bulb in a properly insulated ferm chamber could keep your heat where you want it in even very cold weather.

Old 07-05-2013, 01:54 AM   #4
n240sxguy
Recipes 

Liked 105 Times on 75 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geordan

Just to add some perspective, my ferm chamber is heated by a 60W incandescent bulb in an old metal coffee can wired to the "hot" side of an STC-1000. The ferm chamber is in my wood room, which often got down to -10c, and I never had an issue keeping temps at 12-16c all winter (I spent 3 months doing lagers). I have no doubt that a 100 or 150w bulb in a properly insulated ferm chamber could keep your heat where you want it in even very cold weather.
Nice to know it can be done with less. Do you use any kind of fan to circulate the air?

Old 07-05-2013, 04:40 AM   #5
Geordan
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 22

I do have an 80mm fan in there that I use sometimes, though it died on me in February -- I relied mainly on convection to keep the air circulating!

Quick Reply