Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Fermenters > Fermentation Chamber built with window A/C unit

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-29-2012, 12:42 AM   #11
AtomicGecko
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbrtny View Post
I'm actually doing a super simple controller for my first version. I am using an MSP430G2231 with a built in temp sensor, a basic relay driver chip, and a 12v relay to bypass my AC unit's mechanical relay. All told it'll cost <$10, programmer included
Do you have instructions on how you did this? I'm going to use an old 3 door Continental Reach-in Fridge that doesn't work. Since I don't have the tools or expertise to fix/replace the compressor an easy route to go may be to just cut a hole and use a window A/C.

Fermenters: Empty
Kegs: Vanilla Porter and Smoked Chipotle Ale, Barley Wine Partigyle
Bottles: Barley Wine, Smoked Stout, Orange Clove Mead, Raspberry Mead, Hard Cider
Up next: Pliney the Elder Clone

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-29-2012, 04:17 AM   #12
JKoravos
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 3

If you're building a large ferment chamber the A/C is the way to go. I've been running an AC to cool my 15 gal conical for the last few years. I just have a box with 1" EPS foam insulating it. It's not well constructed, nor well sealed, but it will get the chamber down below 10F regardless of ambient conditions. The coil does freeze up when it's humid and I try to do anything below ale temps, but that can be managed with good sealing and control scheme. I've just been too lazy to bother with those things.

Old 07-16-2012, 05:22 PM   #13
bmc1313
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKoravos View Post
If you're building a large ferment chamber the A/C is the way to go. I've been running an AC to cool my 15 gal conical for the last few years. I just have a box with 1" EPS foam insulating it. It's not well constructed, nor well sealed, but it will get the chamber down below 10F regardless of ambient conditions. The coil does freeze up when it's humid and I try to do anything below ale temps, but that can be managed with good sealing and control scheme. I've just been too lazy to bother with those things.

i would love to see some pics of your build!!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply