Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Fermenters > Electrical Gurus - Temp Controller Question

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-17-2014, 04:33 AM   #1
uatuba
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 54 Times on 43 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default Electrical Gurus - Temp Controller Question

I want to replace the thermostat on my upright freezer with a digital controller, but I'm not sure from the diagram how to wire it. I know, for example, that if I use the STC-1000, I have to switch the hot leg. However, on the diagram posted, I'm unsure if there is a neutral at the thermostat or if it is a switched hot--which would make the most sense.

Long story short, how do I need to wire a digital temp controller using the wiring at the thermostat. Do I need to run a neutral to where the thermostat is? Any help is appreciated. Normally I can figure this stuff out, but I've had a few home brews and I'm in the mood to order what I need.

imageuploadedbytapatalk1392611578.094189.jpg

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-17-2014, 06:01 AM   #2
Brumateur
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 47 Times on 45 Posts
Likes Given: 19

Do you have a better pictures of freezer wiring diagram?

Old 02-17-2014, 06:10 AM   #3
Facinerous
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 49 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 21

I agree with Bru, I looked at the picture about an hour ago. I could see the diagram but couldn't see it well enough to interpret it correctly.

We learn best from our failures, not our successes.

Old 02-17-2014, 06:19 AM   #4
orc_muther
Recipes 

I just did this to a chest freezer. the STI1000 is essentially just a switch. it provides no power to the freezer.

so, what I did was to expose the wires on the main power lead about a foot from the main plug, I cut the active wire (brown in Aus), and wired a female plug end to it (ie, so shorting the two sides of the female plug would act like a switch). then I cut the female end off an extension lead, and wired the active and neural to the cooling side of the STI. Polarity doesnt matter, its just acting as a switch. Plug the male end of the extension cord into the new female end on the freezer, and you now have the switch on the STI able to turn the freezer on and off. Plug the freezer in as normal, and it works perfectly. I didnt take any photos, but I could try if you need some visual cues.

Old 02-17-2014, 12:14 PM   #5
uatuba
Recipes 

Not sure why it's posting out of focus...it's clear on my phone. Let me try again:

imageuploadedbytapatalk1392639264.179939.jpg

Old 02-17-2014, 03:50 PM   #6
day_trippr
Recipes 

Liked 1340 Times on 1082 Posts

They were hoping for a tighter shot.

At the top of the diagram is the thermostat, with a hot side connection on the left and switched connection on the right. Disconnect those from the thermostat, connect the hot side to one side of the Cooling relay on the STC-1000 and to the line input as well. Connect the switched connection to the other side of the Cooling relay. Then add a neutral wire between the other Line input connection at the STC-1000 and the line cord neutral ("cut and nut" will work)...

Cheers!

Old 02-17-2014, 07:25 PM   #7
uatuba
Recipes 

Thanks! You're right...and now that I'm in a...um...clearer state of mind, it's really obvious what they're going for.

Old 02-17-2014, 09:06 PM   #8
uatuba
Recipes 

I think, to save some trouble, I'm going to use the ground that's already run to the thermostat cutout as a neutral...just wire it in at the plug (if I can find where it terminates...shouldn't be too difficult). I'm pretty sure it doesn't straight from the plug.

Old 02-17-2014, 09:14 PM   #9
day_trippr
Recipes 

Liked 1340 Times on 1082 Posts

Please don't tie safety grounds to neutral current returns.

That's really bad juju - and not just to someone who should be dead because of an electrician's error on a 25KVA three phase drop laying under a computer room raised floor. But I digress...

You can simply cut the white wire from the line cord, strip the two ends, add your neutral wire for the STC-1000, and use a wire nut to twist it all together.

Besides, you'd never be able to plug the controller into a GFI outlet without it instantly tripping if you tie the current return to safety ground...

Cheers!

Old 02-17-2014, 09:33 PM   #10
uatuba
Recipes 

Default Electrical Gurus - Temp Controller Question

You're not getting what I'm saying...there is a ground running from a ground bar near the compressor to the thermostat. I'm going to unhook BOTH ends and use the insulated ground as a neutral. It will not function as a ground and will not tie ground to neutral--it simply removes the ground from the controller box (which is unneeded because there is no ground on the STC-1000 and I'm not installing any three prong outlets).

This keeps me from having to run a piece of wire through the side of the freezer next to the soon to be useless ground. I still want the compressor and freezer itself to be properly grounded, and they will be.

Quick Reply