Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Fermenters > eBay Temp Controller Problem

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-15-2011, 02:31 AM   #1
Vlar
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default eBay Temp Controller Problem

I recently picked up one of the eBay temperature controllers to build my own thermostat unit. Shortly after it arrived in the mail, I wired it up inside of a project box and I was so excited when I powered it up and the unit was working right away! At least, I thought it was working.

Currently, the display and controls all work just as expected. Unfortunately, when the list is on for either heating or cooling, it is doing neither. Using a voltage meter, it seems that the power is not being switched on for either heating or cooling at the unit itself.

Does anyone have any troubleshooting they can recommend, or any experience with them that might suggest a configuration problem? ANY help would be appreciated!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-15-2011, 02:35 AM   #2
gruversm
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

What is the brand?

On Tap:
Horehound Tripel,Gumballhead,Sierra Nevada Pale Ale, Founder's Breakfast Stout Clone, Hefeweizen

Old 07-15-2011, 02:37 AM   #3
Vlar
Recipes 

Sorry, I guess I should have included more information.

The brand is Elitech and the model number is STC-1000.

EDIT: (More info)

Using a voltage meter, I get power between the ground and pins 5 & 7. I do not get power between ground and 6 or 8, regardless of heating or cooling being on.

Old 07-15-2011, 04:24 AM   #4
Chrisl77
Recipes 

Liked 38 Times on 36 Posts

What version did you get the 110v or the 220v? If you got the 220v it will power on but running on 110v will not turn the relays on. You have to replace the 220v transformer with a 110v one its pretty easy i did it on one of my units.

Old 07-15-2011, 04:38 AM   #5
Vlar
Recipes 

I thought that the auctioneer would send the appropriate voltage version based on country, but looking back at the auction, it seems that it was not actually spelled out that way. The description lists the "Relay contact capacity" as 220v, so it sounds like I do indeed have the wrong voltage version.

So now that we have determined that I simply have the wrong version, do you happen to have or know of a guide for switching the transformer? Also, where could I get a replacement transformer? Radio Shack?

Old 07-15-2011, 06:29 AM   #6
JuanMoore
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 3253 Times on 3153 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Some of the e-bay sellers are good about sending the model with the correct voltage, and some are not. It pays to read carefully and to make a note of which model you need in the notes section when you pay. I don't think radioshack is going to have the transformer you need. Look in the last ~10 or so pages of the e-bay controller thread for info on buying and replacing the transformer. There was a member that bought a few of them and was willing to sell the extras at his cost to those that needed them, but I'm not sure if he still has any of them left. Are you sure you ended up with the 220v model? You can open it up and check the voltage on the transformer.

Old 07-15-2011, 06:47 AM   #7
LakewoodBrew
Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 22 Posts

from your description i can't tell for sure but it sounds like you are expecting the relay output to produce a voltage output.... not going to happen. The relay outputs are just switches. you need to provide a source and load in series with the relay terminals to have an effect.

Old 07-15-2011, 08:12 AM   #8
JuanMoore
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 3253 Times on 3153 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakewoodBrew View Post
from your description i can't tell for sure but it sounds like you are expecting the relay output to produce a voltage output.... not going to happen. The relay outputs are just switches. you need to provide a source and load in series with the relay terminals to have an effect.
I thought the same thing after re-reading the post, which is why I asked if he's sure it's the 220v version. He may be thinking that the relay being rated for 220v @ x amps means that the controller is a 220v model.

Old 07-15-2011, 12:46 PM   #9
Vlar
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakewoodBrew View Post
Sorry is my terminology isn't perfect. My experience with electronics is limited.

I'm not sure exactly what you're suggesting. You seem to know more about this than I do, so perhaps if I provided more information on the way it's wired, you could help direct me.

Currently, I have it wired the same way as in this diagram from the eBay Aquarium Temp Controller thread:

I do have constant power running into ports 5 and 7, with the outputs (6 and 8 respectively) going to electrical outlets that are not connected together. In an attempt to isolate the problem, I have removed the outlet and I'm checking the wiring with a very simple illuminating voltage tester. When it makes a connection and power flows through that connection, it lights up.

In my testing, for example, when the heat turns on, the light for heat on the display is a solid dot. When connecting the voltage tester to the screws on the unit, connecting pins 2 and 5 lights up but connecting pins 2 and 6 do not. Also, there are people talking about the unit audibly clicking when either heat or cooling turns on, but I hear no noise when it engages either function.

EDIT:
Here's the picture of the transformer inside the unit. Perhaps this would help?

Reason: Adding info

Old 07-15-2011, 01:08 PM   #10
bucfanmike
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 3

that wiring is correct. There is a sticker on the bottom of the unit. It will either say 110v or 220v next to terminal 1&2. Also there is a compressor delay built in (default is 3 mins). The cooling dot should be blinking during the delay and testing terminals during that delay would of course show no current. I don't think that would be the case of the heat side however.

Mike in Duluth

Currently on Tap
1. Hefeweizen
2. BM Centennial Blonde
3. LHMS Clone

Pipeline
Next on Tap-Denny Conn Rye IPA
Kegged and aging Ed Worts Apfelwine, Denny Conn BVIP
Fermenters -

Quick Reply