Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Fermenters > ebay aquarium temp controller build

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-07-2010, 06:58 PM   #491
cwi
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flomaster View Post
so I have this all wired up and complete. I plug the unit into my wall set my temp them just plug my keezer into the cooling outlet?

really that simple?

also I was thinking of mounting this all assembly to the inside of my keezer does anyone foresee any problems going that route? should a waterproof box then be used instead?

-=Jason=-
I just came here to find out which model of ebay controller to buy, but I think in this thread it most advised against putting the controller in the freezer (for various reasons). The only other gotcha I remember being mentioned was to double check the delay setting for the cooling side to prevent fast cycling of the freezer. I am not sure if cutting powering to the freezer, which the controller will do, will defeat the the freezer own fast cycling prevention circuit. It may depend on the make/model of freezer, as well. The method of wiring into the freezer's starting capacitor (that was proposed elsewhere) to maintain the freezers defrosting controls (by leaving the freezer powered at times) may also bypass the freezers fast cycling prevention.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-07-2010, 07:03 PM   #492
Flomaster
Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 37

I'll have to search for the specific Magic Chef Freezer I have and see how to best set it up then.

-=Jason=-

Old 12-07-2010, 07:13 PM   #493
cwi
Recipes 

Quote:
EDIT:I found a seller selling 10 of the 110-120 V models http://cgi.ebay.com/Digital-PID-Temp...ht_2172wt_1139

here is a link to the seller http://myworld.ebay.com/hktrading2010/
-=Jason=-
I am not sure which model that one is, as the description is a little vague. I found this thread while looking for another thread where the various ebay controllers were explained in detail. There were more than a few who went solely by lowest price, only to find out it was a different model that looked similar.
I think the difference was that one (the $2 more one) had relays for both a heating and cooling circuit. The heating circuit is only needed if your climate/ambient temp is below your ferm temps.
I thought this one is the one people were buying, but many ebay links are now expired (and so will this one in one month).
http://cgi.ebay.ca/Mini-Digital-Temp...#ht_4382wt_905

Cliff

Old 12-07-2010, 07:24 PM   #494
cwi
Recipes 

Quote:
I'll have to search for the specific Magic Chef Freezer I have and see how to best set it up then.

-=Jason=-
Jason,
I think that if you are using the simple wiring strategy of plugging the freezer into an outlet box which is wired to the controller, you will not have any issues. The caveat being that you double check the cycling delay parameter on the controller. I think it is adjustable and preset to something sane, but that info is from memory from reading other posts here and elsewhere.
Cliff

Old 12-07-2010, 07:31 PM   #495
Flomaster
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwi View Post
I am not sure which model that one is, as the description is a little vague. I found this thread while looking for another thread where the various ebay controllers were explained in detail. There were more than a few who went solely by lowest price, only to find out it was a different model that looked similar.
I think the difference was that one (the $2 more one) had relays for both a heating and cooling circuit. The heating circuit is only needed if your climate/ambient temp is below your ferm temps.
I thought this one is the one people were buying, but many ebay links are now expired (and so will this one in one month).
http://cgi.ebay.ca/Mini-Digital-Temp...#ht_4382wt_905

Cliff
Cliff, it would seem the two units I just purchased do in fact work for both heating and cooling

here is a tid bit taken from the product description.
Quote:
Relay contact capacity (Heating): 10A (max) 250 V

- Relay contact capacity (Cooling):10 A (max) 250 V

(Is not simultaneously control cooling and heating, cooling or heating optional)

Old 12-07-2010, 07:33 PM   #496
Flomaster
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwi View Post
Jason,
I think that if you are using the simple wiring strategy of plugging the freezer into an outlet box which is wired to the controller, you will not have any issues. The caveat being that you double check the cycling delay parameter on the controller. I think it is adjustable and preset to something sane, but that info is from memory from reading other posts here and elsewhere.
Cliff
cool, yeah I don't plan to get into re-wiring anything in the freezer, was just looking for a plug and play option and I think this is it.

now should freezer be set on coolest setting to allow the newly built unit to cool that low?

-=Jason=-

Old 12-07-2010, 07:46 PM   #497
cwi
Recipes 

Quote:
now should freezer be set on coolest setting to allow the newly built unit to cool that low?

-=Jason=-
The freezer setting is just maxed out, or at least set colder than the lowest temp you want to achieve.
The controller you bought looks like the one people had doubts about because the schematics were different than the description. Hard to tell because the photo of the schematics is so small/fuzzy. The other ebay guy, globalconn, has detailed pics of the schematic. He also has two other models, one with a compressor and defrost circuit, to add to the confusion.
Cliff

Old 12-07-2010, 08:31 PM   #498
Flomaster
Recipes 

Cliff I have an email to the seller asking him what this unit does and if I can't wire both a heating and cooling I like to cancel my order.

I'll have to wait and see what happens

-=Jason=-

Old 12-08-2010, 12:05 AM   #499
Flomaster
Recipes 

still no responce from the seller I guess the time zone has some thing to do with it... FML I do think I purchased a single phase unit that can only heat or cool but not both.

-=Jason=-

Old 12-08-2010, 02:01 PM   #500
Flomaster
Recipes 

I got an email back, those controls can only control heat or cooling not both... FML>.... now it see about him not shipping them and refunding my money back..

I'm going to edit my posts to remove the bad links so no one else makes the mistake I did.

-=Jason=-

Quick Reply