Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Fermenters > ebay aquarium temp controller build

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-18-2013, 04:31 PM   #3801
seejayabney
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslandLizard View Post
I got 2 of these 2 months ago. They were $18.00 at the time, and free shipping with a $25.00+ order total.

STC-1000

A search for "STC-1000" on Amazon should bring you numerous options. Beware, some may add shipping or be sent from overseas.
Perfect, thanks everyone. Time to order and get started! Starting off with a wee-heavy!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-18-2013, 04:36 PM   #3802
troy2000
Recipes 

Liked 439 Times on 269 Posts
Likes Given: 320

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edbert View Post
Confirmed working, thanks for the help guys!

I added the lamps back in on the drawing, have not connected them yet since the STC is in use right now, but the revised diagram is below. My question is the combined lead (black line), should it go to port 2 as shown or port 1?

So far I am finding that the temperature is too low. The STC turns on the fridge when it hits the upper threshold I set and the fridge cools so fast that even after it shuts off the temp keeps lowering. I am saving some electricity bill but need to tweak the settings/thresholds/window a bit. I wanted a temp between 60-65 but when it kicks in at 65 it keeps getting down to around 55-56 before starting back up. Any good threads about the settings?
Your probe needs some thermal mass to work with. My mini-fridge conversion didn't work properly until I taped the probe directly to the side of a full carboy, and taped a patch of double foil-sided, bubble wrap insulation over it.

With the probe in the air, I was cycling between the heater and compressor; same when I tried dropping it into a 1-quart tea kettle of water. But with the probe taped to the carboy and insulated from the air, the temperature usually overshoots the set temp by .1*C.

Example: I'm fermenting a saison right now. My heater kicked in a few minutes ago, when the STC-1000 display had dropped to 25.5*C. It shut off at 26.0*C, and the temperature stopped rising at 26.1*C. Now it's flashing back and forth between 26.1 and 26.0...
That it might not turn stale.

But as for the malt
She forgot to put that.
'This is sober liquor,'
Says little Jack Sprat.
-traditional

Old 10-18-2013, 06:26 PM   #3803
day_trippr
Recipes 

Liked 1383 Times on 1116 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edbert View Post
[...]I added the lamps back in on the drawing, have not connected them yet since the STC is in use right now, but the revised diagram is below. My question is the combined lead (black line), should it go to port 2 as shown or port 1?[...]
The lamp wiring as shown is correct, the common node wants to be connected to the neutral line...

Cheers!

Old 10-19-2013, 01:33 PM   #3804
seejayabney
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

So I got my temp controller today and it was missing one of the orange tabs used to secure it. I am assuming that is a specialty piece that I cant pick up at radio shack. Any thoughts other than sending it back for another one?

Old 10-19-2013, 02:02 PM   #3805
IslandLizard
Progressive Brewing
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 377 Times on 339 Posts
Likes Given: 1210

Quote:
Originally Posted by seejayabney View Post
So I got my temp controller today and it was missing one of the orange tabs used to secure it. I am assuming that is a specialty piece that I cant pick up at radio shack. Any thoughts other than sending it back for another one?
Rats!

First, contact the seller. Maybe they can send you the missing tab, or remediate (giving you a discount). I know contacting sellers on Amazon is hit and, more often, miss.

On the other hand, once installed, a bead of hot glue will hold it in place too.

The unit may have been a return for whatever reason. So check if you see any signs of use. Like the way the probe wire is coiled and tied, missing plastic foil from the face etc.

When you're committed to keep it, you should test it to make sure it works, before building it in a box and gluing it down.
Preparing: Framboise Clone | Arrogant Bastard Clone | Raging Bitch Clone #3 | Tank 7 Saison Clone | Fresh Squeezed IPA | Sours
Fermenting:
Dry hopping:
Aging: Old Treacle Mine ==> Oud Bruin
On tap: Belgian Wit {1st place @FSH Guild Wheat Beer Comp.} | Pocahontas Pumpkin Ale
Kicked: 2.3'd | ESB | Sketchy Bastard | Black Butte Porter Clone | Raging Bitch Clone #2 | Citra Wheat Saison | Rosemary Wheat Saison | Great Lakes Christmas Ale Clone | Caramel Amber Ale

Old 10-19-2013, 02:31 PM   #3806
seejayabney
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslandLizard View Post

Rats!

First, contact the seller. Maybe they can send you the missing tab, or remediate (giving you a discount). I know contacting sellers on Amazon is hit and, more often, miss.

On the other hand, once installed, a bead of hot glue will hold it in place too.

The unit may have been a return for whatever reason. So check if you see any signs of use. Like the way the probe wire is coiled and tied, missing plastic foil from the face etc.

When you're committed to keep it, you should test it to make sure it works, before building it in a box and gluing it down.
I'll try contacting them. Also glad you mentioned to test it first. I was so frustrated by the missing tab that didn't even cross my mind.

The world needs anger. The world often continues to allow evil because it isn't angry enough.

Bede Jarrett

Old 10-19-2013, 02:39 PM   #3807
chessking
Recipes 

Liked 61 Times on 44 Posts

Quote:
I agree with Islandlizard. Contact the seller first. I had one shipped from Hong Kong that the cold relay wouldn't work. I shot them an email describing the problem, and they sent me a new unit free of charge, and I kept the old one, that I now use for the temp readings only. Worth a shot.

Old 10-21-2013, 06:44 PM   #3808
seejayabney
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Clip

Quote:
Originally Posted by chessking View Post
I agree with Islandlizard. Contact the seller first. I had one shipped from Hong Kong that the cold relay wouldn't work. I shot them an email describing the problem, and they sent me a new unit free of charge, and I kept the old one, that I now use for the temp readings only. Worth a shot.
Unfortunately I contacted the seller and they are having me mail back the one without the clip.

ALSO, has anyone actually included a 10Amp fuse in their set up shown from this DIY Instructable? http://nordeastbrewersalliance.files...structions.pdf

I went to radioshack and of course they had no idea what type of 10amp fuse to use and neither did I.

Old 10-21-2013, 06:58 PM   #3809
alien
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 65 Times on 58 Posts
Likes Given: 61

The Amazon STC-1000s are still below $20 (although I can't find them for $18 any more). Be careful to get the 110V model if you are in the USA. The Elitech is the one I have.

Arduino PID controller - Automatic Smoker - Cooler MLT - Counterflow Chiller - SSR demo - PWM timer - Folding Brew Table

Old 10-21-2013, 07:02 PM   #3810
IslandLizard
Progressive Brewing
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 377 Times on 339 Posts
Likes Given: 1210

Quote:
Unfortunately I contacted the seller and they are having me mail back the one without the clip.

ALSO, has anyone actually included a 10Amp fuse in their set up shown from this DIY Instructable? http://nordeastbrewersalliance.files...structions.pdf

I went to radioshack and of course they had no idea what type of 10amp fuse to use and neither did I.
That's terrible, unless they pick up the shipping. Please post the name of that seller so we can avoid them.

Make sure the unit works before gluing or modifying it in any way.

There is no need for a fuse as long as you are not going to load the controller with more than 10A (= 1100 Watt @110V). So plugging in a 1500W space heater will certainly fry your STC-1000.

If you must, in a pinch you could use an "inline fuse," which you'd insert into the live (black) lead of your feed cable, inside the box. IMO it is unnecessary.
Preparing: Framboise Clone | Arrogant Bastard Clone | Raging Bitch Clone #3 | Tank 7 Saison Clone | Fresh Squeezed IPA | Sours
Fermenting:
Dry hopping:
Aging: Old Treacle Mine ==> Oud Bruin
On tap: Belgian Wit {1st place @FSH Guild Wheat Beer Comp.} | Pocahontas Pumpkin Ale
Kicked: 2.3'd | ESB | Sketchy Bastard | Black Butte Porter Clone | Raging Bitch Clone #2 | Citra Wheat Saison | Rosemary Wheat Saison | Great Lakes Christmas Ale Clone | Caramel Amber Ale

Quick Reply