Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Fermenters > ebay aquarium temp controller build

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-17-2013, 05:21 PM   #3791
JuanMoore
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 3238 Times on 3139 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edbert View Post
I am completely willing to accept that, in fact I know it is since it doesn't work. Rather than diagrams showing how to use the plug can you say what is wrong with mine and how to make it work with the cords instead of a plug?

I think I see what I did wrong though, does this fix it?

That should work.

And FWIW if the cooling light is blinking like it was earlier, that means that the compressor delay is on. I think the default setting is either 3 or 5 min. Basically the cooling relay activation will be delayed when the unit is just turned on, or when the it's been on recently. This protects the compressor from short cycling, but can sometimes cause people to think the unit doesn't work because they don't realize they need to wait for the delay before it will come on. This is only on the cooling side though, the heat side should come on immediately.

Yuri rubs it out with 60 grit... wouldn't even feel a tenga egg. -Randar

, place entry ox dixla to suck. Fcxk fwnpoo and passed. Hel an my spupid ass. OK. - TXCrash

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-17-2013, 06:01 PM   #3792
Edbert
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Thanks JuanMoore, I'll hook it up tonight and report back. Also good info on the blinking/delay setting. I have mine on 10 minutes (max) since it is on a 20 year old 26cf fridge/freezer. I'll report back in case anyone wants to try cords instead of plugs.

Long term I am hoping I can use the fridge side for ale fermentation at 60-65F, and the freezer side (side by side unit) as a kegerator, if I can get the cold-air adjusted all the way to the freezer side and it gets cold enough that is.

Old 10-17-2013, 06:22 PM   #3793
Flomaster
Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edbert View Post
I am completely willing to accept that, in fact I know it is since it doesn't work. Rather than diagrams showing how to use the plug can you say what is wrong with mine and how to make it work with the cords instead of a plug?

I think I see what I did wrong though, does this fix it?

that looks great, you still can add those LEDS if you wish to your current setup.

-=Jason=-

Old 10-18-2013, 03:50 AM   #3794
403Brewer
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 8

When I hooked it all up nothing worked...then I just wired the STC1000 in direct it works fine so I think I screwed my plug when I broke the tabs off...is there any reason this should happen or is there anything I need do? There was a bit of a crunch when breaking the tabs so maybe I killed the plug. I'm 99% sure I had it wired in correct...nothing was plugged into the plugs if that matters

EDIT: Realized I broke tabs on BOTH sides of plug, I'm guessing that is my issue

Old 10-18-2013, 04:00 AM   #3795
JuanMoore
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 3238 Times on 3139 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by 403Brewer
When I hooked it all up nothing worked...then I just wired the STC1000 in direct it works fine so I think I screwed my plug when I broke the tabs off...is there any reason this should happen or is there anything I need do? There was a bit of a crunch when breaking the tabs so maybe I killed the plug. I'm 99% sure I had it wired in correct...nothing was plugged into the plugs if that matters EDIT: Realized I broke tabs on BOTH sides of plug, I'm guessing that is my issue
Yep, only need to break the tab on the hot side. You can make a jumper to connect the neutral sides of the plug.

Yuri rubs it out with 60 grit... wouldn't even feel a tenga egg. -Randar

, place entry ox dixla to suck. Fcxk fwnpoo and passed. Hel an my spupid ass. OK. - TXCrash

Old 10-18-2013, 03:23 PM   #3796
seejayabney
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Default Same Temp Control on Amazon?

So I have been sifting through the 360 pages of posts on this build and haven't been able to find if I am able to get the exact same temp controller used on Amazon.com. Anyone have the product number or anything to identify if I am getting the right one from Amazon? Unfortunately my ferment freezer is in our carport and winter (In North Carolina) is quickly approaching. Thanks in advance for the help.

Does this one work?
http://www.amazon.com/All-purpose-Te...ywords=STC1000

Reason: new info

Old 10-18-2013, 03:33 PM   #3797
tennesseean_87
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 84 Times on 60 Posts
Likes Given: 105

I'm going to have to do this to run a fan/heat pad in my mini SOF. Then when I have more space, I'll just upgrade to a fridge and keep the controller!

#8 Corks in Belgian Bottles Hold Carbonation
Increasing Pipeline Diversity
On Deck: Hefeweizen yeast experiment with 3068, T-58, and 3711
Youtube Channel on Homebrewing
Youtube Channel on Pipe Smoking

Old 10-18-2013, 03:57 PM   #3798
bigtex52
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by seejayabney View Post
That's the one I use and it works great!
On Tap: Chinook IPA
Next Brew Day: Christmas Porter, Oatmeal Stout

Old 10-18-2013, 04:10 PM   #3799
IslandLizard
Progressive Brewing
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 350 Times on 316 Posts
Likes Given: 1119

I got 2 of these 2 months ago. They were $18.00 at the time, and free shipping with a $25.00+ order total.

STC-1000

A search for "STC-1000" on Amazon should bring you numerous options. Beware, some may add shipping or be sent from overseas.

Preparing: Framboise Clone | Raging Bitch Clone #3 | Tank 7 Saison Clone | Fresh Squeezed IPA | Venturing into some Sours, finally...
Fermenting:
Dry hopping:
Barrel Aging: Old Treacle Mine ==> Flanders
On tap: 2.3'd | ESB | Belgian Wit {1st place @ FSH Guild Wheat Beer Comp.} | Pocahontas Pumpkin Ale
Kicked: Sketchy Bastard | Black Butte Porter Clone | Raging Bitch Clone #2 | Citra Wheat Saison | Rosemary Wheat Saison | Great Lakes Christmas Ale Clone | Caramel Amber Ale

Old 10-18-2013, 04:26 PM   #3800
Edbert
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flomaster View Post
that looks great, you still can add those LEDS if you wish to your current setup.
Confirmed working, thanks for the help guys!

I added the lamps back in on the drawing, have not connected them yet since the STC is in use right now, but the revised diagram is below. My question is the combined lead (black line), should it go to port 2 as shown or port 1?

So far I am finding that the temperature is too low. The STC turns on the fridge when it hits the number I set and the fridge cools so fast that even after it shuts off the temp keeps lowering. I am saving some electricity bill but need to tweak the settings/thresholds/window a bit. I wanted a temp between 60-65 but when it kicks in at 65 it keeps getting down to around 55-56 before the temperature slowly starts going back up. Any good threads about the settings?

Quick Reply