Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Fermenters > ebay aquarium temp controller build

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-09-2013, 08:55 AM   #3231
thenewbrewer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

i just ended up wiring up a box with extension leads, ill make my next one with powerpoints.. i havent recieved my stc1000 yet but everything short of it is wired up and all the spare wires are labelled for the appropriate slot on the stc..

its messy at the moment, i wanna put a bit of heat shrink around that expose wire thats just hanging out on the block.. i also had to extend some wires.. if i umm and ahh about it before the stc gets here ill just got get another $4 worth of extension cables and re wire it..

all my wires were tinned and soldered together.. they seem nice and secure.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-09-2013, 11:13 AM   #3232
thenewbrewer
Recipes 

eh eh i rewired it..

Old 01-09-2013, 07:08 PM   #3233
cwi
Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenewbrewer View Post
also i looked every where for 15amp rating power chords and the highest was 10amp exact same with the power points, all were 10amp. am i going to be ok with just 10amp stuff? i read all the packets on the extension cords as well and they said 10amp also..
Aussies, and most people, are on 220-240VAC 50Hz, so your equivalent Amp needs (and wire diameter/gauge) are ~60% of what a similar device requires in the US. I think in most 220-240VAC 50Hz places, the standard household circuit is 10 Amp, which is why you found mainly 10A 'rated' cords. There may be wire gauge differences even though they are all 10A 'rated'. All should be fine for your application, but thicker can't hurt. The reason why many here note what 'gauge' they are using is that we have 15-20 Amp circuits, but many cords are rated well below that (16 & 18 ga). I believe the recommendation for 14 gauge is from an electrical code for a 15 Amp circuit, since that is what most household 110V circuits are rated. You (in Aus) can get away with a smaller gauge if your circuits are 10 Amp.

Resistive devices (tea kettles, heaters) are an exception to the ~60% rule as they usually max out the Amp rating of the standard household circuit. This is why 220V electric kettles work so much better, and are more popular outside the US. The choice of 50Hz is another matter, as it was just an idiotic 'metric' choice that actually reduces motor efficiency. There is something magical about 60Hz and AC motors.

Old 01-10-2013, 12:35 AM   #3234
EdgeBrew
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I agree.

If anyone only requires heating or cooling, not both I would recommend the following:
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/220V-Digi...item337527fd8f
It is cheap, requires no wiring and works.

temperaturecontrol1-4.jpg  

Old 01-10-2013, 01:55 AM   #3235
CloverBrew
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huaco View Post
Yeah, I will be pumping directly into a sanitized fermentor. I will rack with a few PSI of CO2. Here is a picture of my arrangment...
May I quickly hijack the thread for one question? What are those fermentors and where did you get them?

Old 01-10-2013, 02:46 AM   #3236
Huaco
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 114 Times on 71 Posts
Likes Given: 34

To keep from continuing a thread-jacking... here is the link to my fermentation chamber build.
Take a look and ask away... I think I have all the hardware nailed down to be able to make this work without lifting a single carboy again... I will be selling all 8 of my glass carboys locally soon.

BACK ON TOPIC...

I see that the "Mounting Size" for these STC1000 controller is 71x29mm. (2.790"x1.141") Is that the size of the opening in the panel front? I built one back in the summer, but it has been a while since then. I have some controllers on order and want to get a jump on fabricating my control center for this chamber. It will have 3 controllers in it.

Old 01-10-2013, 05:16 AM   #3237
Huaco
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Wow. Ok...
I stopped by the hardware store to buy wire for wiring up my tripple controller. I asked the young lady helping me to cut 20' each of the stranded 14 ga wire in black, red, white, and green. I was thinking I would have plenty to do that I need with 20'... She said she didnt remember how to use the spooling/measuring machine but would just measure and cut it for me and have it up front waiting for me at checkout. I get home and take them out to put them up, and needed to recoil them into a neater coil. Turns out she cut me around 60' of each! I only got charged for 20' each though.

Old 01-10-2013, 03:39 PM   #3238
stoneBriar
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I tried to google a bit, but I can't seem to find something like this in a 110-115v in that price range. Any links? Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdgeBrew View Post
I agree.

If anyone only requires heating or cooling, not both I would recommend the following:
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/220V-Digi...item337527fd8f
It is cheap, requires no wiring and works.

Old 01-10-2013, 03:48 PM   #3239
pabloj13
Recipes 

Liked 90 Times on 78 Posts
Likes Given: 109

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huaco View Post
Wow. Ok...
I stopped by the hardware store to buy wire for wiring up my tripple controller. I asked the young lady helping me to cut 20' each of the stranded 14 ga wire in black, red, white, and green. I was thinking I would have plenty to do that I need with 20'... She said she didnt remember how to use the spooling/measuring machine but would just measure and cut it for me and have it up front waiting for me at checkout. I get home and take them out to put them up, and needed to recoil them into a neater coil. Turns out she cut me around 60' of each! I only got charged for 20' each though.
60 feet? Are you wiring them on the surface of the moon?

Kegged Two Hearted, Dragonmead Final Absolution
Bottled Robust porter, Founder's Breakfast Stout, Ommegawd Hellepin, Ed Wort's Apfelwein
RIP Snake Dog IPA, Biermuncher's OktoberFAST, Falconer's Flight IPA, Two-Hearted clone (Culturing Bell's Yeast), Noberon wheat, Skeeter Pee using dry yeast, Smooth Oatmeal Stout

Simple and easy wort aeration - Harvest yeast from your blowoff - Homebrew Spicy Mustard

Old 01-10-2013, 04:42 PM   #3240
Huaco
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pabloj13 View Post
60 feet? Are you wiring them on the surface of the moon?
Eh... a Foot... an Arm... it's all relative right?

Quick Reply