Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Fermenters > ebay aquarium temp controller build

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-30-2012, 02:24 AM   #3201
pabloj13
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 90 Times on 78 Posts
Likes Given: 109

Quote:
Originally Posted by notzj1701 View Post
Wouldn't this one work? It's in degrees fahrenheit

http://www.ebay.com/itm/AC-110-120V-...item3a6626468c
Sure, but isn't that single stage?

Kegged Two Hearted, Dragonmead Final Absolution
Bottled Robust porter, Founder's Breakfast Stout, Ommegawd Hellepin, Ed Wort's Apfelwein
RIP Snake Dog IPA, Biermuncher's OktoberFAST, Falconer's Flight IPA, Two-Hearted clone (Culturing Bell's Yeast), Noberon wheat, Skeeter Pee using dry yeast, Smooth Oatmeal Stout

Simple and easy wort aeration - Harvest yeast from your blowoff - Homebrew Spicy Mustard

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-30-2012, 02:32 AM   #3202
notzj1701
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuanMoore View Post
Just because it has a lower contact rating doesn't mean considering one is dumb. I have one of these controlling my keezer and two controlling my HERMS. As long as you only need single stage and you're not switching anything over 5A, these actually have several advantages over the STC-1000. They are cheaper, easier to program, have more programming options, fahrenheit readouts, and SS temp probes.
I lost this link, could someone direct me please? Thx!

Old 12-30-2012, 08:00 AM   #3203
JuanMoore
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 3238 Times on 3139 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Quote:
So which one is it?
Looks like 6x8x3 to me. FWIW I used a 6x6x2 j-box, and the controller with one outlet was a very tight fit.

Quote:
You provided a link to one two posts ago.

Yuri rubs it out with 60 grit... wouldn't even feel a tenga egg. -Randar

, place entry ox dixla to suck. Fcxk fwnpoo and passed. Hel an my spupid ass. OK. - TXCrash

Old 12-30-2012, 02:32 PM   #3204
Newgene
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/251083841214...84.m1497.l2649

This one is a little cheaper. It's the same single-stage Fahrenheit model. I'm waiting for one to come in. My gut is that these are not 5A models because I don't think anyone has reported getting an actual 5A version of this yet. I'm gonna pop it open as soon as I get it and confirm. It'll likely be another week before it arrives, though.

Old 12-30-2012, 03:03 PM   #3205
stoneBriar
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I can think of several applications where I only need temp control in one direction. Cooling would be all I need for my keggerator build. Do you think you could run that model in heat mode also? Heating would be all I need for an electric HLT. I'm also thinking of building a control panel with 2 of those single stage controllers in it so I could use my 2 stage to keep the fridge at lagger temps but use fermwraps to keep two more fermenters at ale temps.

Anyway, keep us posted!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newgene View Post

This one is a little cheaper. It's the same single-stage Fahrenheit model. I'm waiting for one to come in. My gut is that these are not 5A models because I don't think anyone has reported getting an actual 5A version of this yet. I'm gonna pop it open as soon as I get it and confirm. It'll likely be another week before it arrives, though.

Old 12-30-2012, 03:45 PM   #3206
JuanMoore
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoneBriar View Post
I can think of several applications where I only need temp control in one direction. Cooling would be all I need for my keggerator build. Do you think you could run that model in heat mode also? Heating would be all I need for an electric HLT. I'm also thinking of building a control panel with 2 of those single stage controllers in it so I could use my 2 stage to keep the fridge at lagger temps but use fermwraps to keep two more fermenters at ale temps.

Anyway, keep us posted!
Yes, they can be switched back and forth between cooling and heating mode easily. I use one in my keezer, and two of them in the control panel for my HERMS, but my HERMS is gas. These aren't rated for the amperage needed to control even a small electric HLT, so you'd need to add an SSR, at which point you'd probably just be better off buying a PID instead.

, place entry ox dixla to suck. Fcxk fwnpoo and passed. Hel an my spupid ass. OK. - TXCrash

Old 12-30-2012, 03:49 PM   #3207
JuanMoore
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newgene View Post

I'm not sure what you mean about a 5A version, that's simply what they're rated for. Mine have the same relays as the STC-1000, but that doesn't necessarily mean that the controllers as a whole are rated for the same amperage as the STC-1000. It might be the traces or other components that bring the rating down to 5 amps.

Old 01-01-2013, 08:59 PM   #3208
notzj1701
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Looks like 6x8x3 to me. FWIW I used a 6x6x2 j-box, and the controller with one outlet was a very tight fit.

You provided a link to one two posts ago.
And since the link you provided didn't work I'm supposed to know that it's the same one, how....???

Old 01-02-2013, 12:55 AM   #3209
benbradford
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 24 Posts

I think I read this sometime and the answer was the can heater, but anyone use this to control a space heater is that too many amps?

I think it's too bad that everybody's decided to turn on drugs, I don't think drugs are the problem. Crime is the problem. Cops are the problem. Money's the problem. But drugs are just drugs.
Jerry Garcia

Old 01-03-2013, 12:35 AM   #3210
Newgene
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
I'm not sure what you mean about a 5A version, that's simply what they're rated for. Mine have the same relays as the STC-1000, but that doesn't necessarily mean that the controllers as a whole are rated for the same amperage as the STC-1000. It might be the traces or other components that bring the rating down to 5 amps.
It's the relay contact current. It is what would be stamped as the rating on the relays attached to the board itself. As suspected, mine is not 5A. So, this is what is said:

Relay contact current: Rated 5A (in the actual ebay ad)
Relay contact current: Rated 10A (in the paperwork that came with the controller)
Relay contact current: 15A @ 125VAC (as stamped on the actual relays)

LOL

Quick Reply