Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Fermenters > ebay aquarium temp controller build

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-28-2012, 11:03 PM   #3171
JuanMoore
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 3253 Times on 3153 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheelspin View Post
Just got my STC-1000 today and am a electrical wiring moron . Please advise.

I've looked at the diagram on the back of the unit and it suggests that I could simply .......

1) Wire the mains input into 1 and 2.

2) Probe wires obviously go to 3 and 4.

3) Connect my 100 watt heating lamp directly into 5 and 6

4) Connect the power to freezer power directly into 7 and 8.

5) Turn my freezer thermostat onto MAX.

Is this method correct ? Or am I missing something ??

Any advice much appreciated.
As others have said, the 5/6 and 7/8 terminal sets don't provide power to the heating/cooling devices, they're just switches. You need to provide power to each switch, and neutral to the other side of the heating and cooling outlets. You can try using one of the many wiring diagrams for it. There's one in the first post of this thread. Here's another, with separate receptacles for heating and cooling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by warpfactorviii View Post
Hey Guys, Looking for some help. I built a chamber with an AC Unit. Wired my 220V Temp controller per the diagram in the first post and Just hooked it up. Have it set to 18.3C, the heat source is on but the AC is running. On the controller only the heat LED is on..Whats the deal? I searched and think my the relay is stuck but could it happen so quick...I just started it..thanks for the help in advance
Did you break the tab on the hot side of the receptacle? If you don't break the tab, both outlets will be hot anytime one of them has power. What are the start-up draws for your AC unit and heater?

Yuri rubs it out with 60 grit... wouldn't even feel a tenga egg. -Randar

, place entry ox dixla to suck. Fcxk fwnpoo and passed. Hel an my spupid ass. OK. - TXCrash

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-29-2012, 07:46 AM   #3172
Wheelspin
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepinjeepin View Post
Black is Hot. White is Neutral. Black to 1, 5, & 7. White to 2. Now imagine coming from 6 & 8 with the black wire from your heater and fridge and then bringing their white wires back to the neutral. Draw it out. That way you are switching the hot before the appliance and providing a path back to neutral.
So i put hot/live to 1, 5, and 7 and run them back to the hot/live wires of the freezer and heating elements.

Then I take the neutral wire from both the freezer and heating element, and run them into the terminal number 2 ???

If this is correct, thanks a million !!!!!!!! Please confirm.

Old 11-29-2012, 08:21 AM   #3173
JuanMoore
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 3253 Times on 3153 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheelspin View Post
So i put hot/live to 1, 5, and 7 and run them back to the hot/live wires of the freezer and heating elements.

Then I take the neutral wire from both the freezer and heating element, and run them into the terminal number 2 ???

From the way you phrased that I'm not sure that you quite have it right. Just to clarify, the incoming hot will be split 3 ways and go to terminals 1,5, and 7, and then a wire will go from terminal 6 to the hot side of the heating element, and from terminal 8 to the hot side of the freezer outlet. The incoming neutral will split 3 ways and go to terminal 2, the neutral side of the heating element, and the neutral side of the freezer. If you're still unsure, just look at the wiring diagram I posted above.

Yuri rubs it out with 60 grit... wouldn't even feel a tenga egg. -Randar

, place entry ox dixla to suck. Fcxk fwnpoo and passed. Hel an my spupid ass. OK. - TXCrash

Old 11-29-2012, 12:27 PM   #3174
warpfactorviii
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuanMoore View Post

Did you break the tab on the hot side of the receptacle? If you don't break the tab, both outlets will be hot anytime one of them has power. What are the start-up draws for your AC unit and heater?

I did not break the tabs so that must be it... Actually started thinking about that last night while over at a friends house having some drinks. I'm not 100% sure of the draws but I know that the AC unit is a 6500btu and my heat source is a 60w light bulb for now. Thanks for the help

Old 11-30-2012, 04:54 PM   #3175
ButcherBrew
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Hi All,

I completed this build recently and have to thank everyone for the advice! This thread is awesome. Granted, I have not reviewed every 318 pages so I am sorry if this has already been illustrated.

I am looking for advice on where to place the temp probe. Right now I have it sitting in a cup of water in the back of my stand up freezer. I don't think this is helping to keep ferm temps as low as they need to be.

Can anyone share pics oh how they have attached their probe to the fermenter. And what do you do when you have multiple fermentations going on? Assuming you attach to the most recent addition to the chamber?

Thanks everyone!

Bottled - Nope...
Keg: -
#1 Goodnight Sunshine Wheat
#2 Oatmeal Stout
#3 Butcher's Brown Ale
#4 Hoparillo IPA

Plum Creek Brewing

Old 11-30-2012, 05:08 PM   #3176
Huaco
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 114 Times on 71 Posts
Likes Given: 34

I mount my probe to the side of the carboy or fermenter. I also am playing around with thermowell.
I have taped the probe to the side of a carboy if it is the only fermenter in the chamber. So it would be as follows
Glass wall of carboy || Probe || Folded up old kitchen towel || packing tape

The kitchen towel ads insulation to help the sensor detect the glass-wort temp more than the air temp.
If I have two carboys in the chamber, I just put the sensor between the carboys with the same kitchen towel and sandwich the probe and towel with the carboys... works well...

Old 11-30-2012, 05:14 PM   #3177
ButcherBrew
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huaco View Post
I mount my probe to the side of the carboy or fermenter. I also am playing around with thermowell.
I have taped the probe to the side of a carboy if it is the only fermenter in the chamber. So it would be as follows
Glass wall of carboy || Probe || Folded up old kitchen towel || packing tape

The kitchen towel ads insulation to help the sensor detect the glass-wort temp more than the air temp.
If I have two carboys in the chamber, I just put the sensor between the carboys with the same kitchen towel and sandwich the probe and towel with the carboys... works well...
Perfect....thanks for the advice.
Bottled - Nope...
Keg: -
#1 Goodnight Sunshine Wheat
#2 Oatmeal Stout
#3 Butcher's Brown Ale
#4 Hoparillo IPA

Plum Creek Brewing

Old 11-30-2012, 05:15 PM   #3178
stoneBriar
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I use painters tape, which holds strong even under damp conditions but leaves no residue, to hold the probe right at the middle of the liquid volume on the outside of the better bottle. I put a piece of foam insulation over that with more blue tape. If I'm doing a double batch I'll sandwich the thermistor between the two fermenters and cover that area with a piece of foam on each side. I've dropped a sanitized probe thermometer into the beer and even at high krausen the difference between the surface reading and the internal reading was at most 2 °F (hotter on the inside). The insulation helps avoid thermal shocks from opening and the fridge and staring at the bubbling (that never gets old does it?).

Quote:
Originally Posted by ButcherBrew View Post
I am looking for advice on where to place the temp probe.

Can anyone share pics oh how they have attached their probe to the fermenter. And what do you do when you have multiple fermentations going on? Assuming you attach to the most recent addition to the chamber?
Old 11-30-2012, 05:33 PM   #3179
jeepinjeepin
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1043 Times on 1022 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheelspin

Kinda, maybe. Read what JuanMoore wrote and then go back to page 1 for the diagram.

Walmart is about the only reason for open or concealed carry that I can get behind. -Randar

Old 12-03-2012, 01:00 AM   #3180
Vellum
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 15 Posts

Well, I just built my second one of these to control a rice cooker in order to make homemade yogurt. Very please with the result and can't wait to see how it performs. Thanks so much for this idea. My other one is controlling my fermentation chamber which is currently lagering a maibock. Couldn't do it without ya! Cheers all.

PS this is the controller I mentions a few posts back for $20 shipped. Turned out to be 110v as advertised as well as dual stage. Standard shipping time from hong kong. Thanks again don't know where I'd be without homebrewtalk community.

Quick Reply