Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Fermenters > ebay aquarium temp controller build

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-30-2012, 06:49 PM   #3081
mirogster
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 8

With more than 200 pages thread? No wonder! I second to previous post. Wiki or sticky!!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-30-2012, 07:13 PM   #3082
Zacharomyces
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Just wired mine up (the simple one outlet for cooling, one for heating way) and it works perfectly! Way easier than I thought it would be.

Old 09-30-2012, 08:15 PM   #3083
JuanMoore
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 3253 Times on 3153 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by mouthfullofbeer View Post
this is probably the 100th time someone has said this, but has anyone come across a step by step (in laymans terms) where they've provided pictures mounting in the collar PLUS adding an AC 110V fan inside the keezer? there are just too many pages to read and i'm going cross-eyed..

thanks for your help this is great info
Will the keezer be indoors where it won't need heating? If so, and assuming you want to run the fan continuously (since that's really the only way it's effective for a keezer), and assuming you have the STC-1000 controller, here's a wiring diagram you might find helpful.

The first couple posts of this thread have some pretty detailed instructions. You'll just be mounting the controller in the collar of your keezer instead of in a plastic project box. Where you mount the outlet is up to you. I mounted a controller in the collar of my keezer, and put the outlet in an exterior single gang electrical box that I tuck into the compressor area. There's not much in the way of instructions, but there are a couple of pictures in the build in my sig.

Yuri rubs it out with 60 grit... wouldn't even feel a tenga egg. -Randar

, place entry ox dixla to suck. Fcxk fwnpoo and passed. Hel an my spupid ass. OK. - TXCrash
People Like This 
Old 09-30-2012, 08:20 PM   #3084
JuanMoore
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 3253 Times on 3153 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzman003 View Post
I wish a mod would sticky a post or two with the best info on this topic. Seems like every week someone has the same problem.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mirogster View Post
With more than 200 pages thread? No wonder! I second to previous post. Wiki or sticky!!
There are a lot of variations for the wiring depending on what it's being used for and what features people want. There's also a couple different controller models. This makes it difficult to have one simplified set of instructions that will work for everyone. The first couple posts of this thread give some pretty detailed instructions, with pictures and a wiring diagram. I really feel like anyone tackling this simple project should be able to figure out how to use that set of instructions and add an outlet, or mount it somewhere else, or make whatever other modifications they want, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

Yuri rubs it out with 60 grit... wouldn't even feel a tenga egg. -Randar

, place entry ox dixla to suck. Fcxk fwnpoo and passed. Hel an my spupid ass. OK. - TXCrash

Old 10-01-2012, 07:54 AM   #3085
rossi46
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 48 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Got mine Friday. Finally had time this afternoon to get it wired up. Took about 1/2 hour. Used two outlets, one always on for my fan and one split to heat/cool. Seems to be working like a champ.

Old 10-16-2012, 04:36 PM   #3086
MrMista
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by rossi46 View Post
Got mine Friday. Finally had time this afternoon to get it wired up. Took about 1/2 hour. Used two outlets, one always on for my fan and one split to heat/cool. Seems to be working like a champ.
Do you have the wiring diagram for how to have a split heat/cool plust two always on? This thread is so long, I don't know where to look.

Lastly does anyone know if it would be good to use a fuse to protect the temperature controller from getting too much power. I don't have my unit yet, so I don't know what its rated for, and I don't know much about these sorts of projects so what fuse should I buy?

Old 10-16-2012, 04:47 PM   #3087
tre9er
Recipes 

Liked 233 Times on 197 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMista View Post
Do you have the wiring diagram for how to have a split heat/cool plust two always on? This thread is so long, I don't know where to look.
The "always-on" outlet(s) would be wired directly to your incoming power (cord) whereas the others would have one leg to power cord, the other to their switched slot on STC

Quote:
Originally Posted by davekippen View Post
Open log Fermenting and gas-can secondary?? I am planning my next brew right now!!

Old 10-16-2012, 04:50 PM   #3088
raymcgill
Recipes 

Right. MrMista, draw it up. submit it. Let the community improve it. Produce not consume.

Old 10-25-2012, 09:52 AM   #3089
emanuel
Recipes 

Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by deerelk4x4 View Post
Would be possible to repost the information for your webpage here in English. I like what I saw but am interested in the description provided.
Yes. it's here: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/ebay...4/#post4506403

Old 10-25-2012, 05:32 PM   #3090
ifpo238
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ifpo238 View Post
Well, the eBay ad/listing said 5A, the one-page "manual" that came with it said 10A, and, when I slipped the housing off, the actual component said 15A! I'm going with the assumption that I'm golden, and quietly hoping they're not using factory seconds or some such nonsense in the construction of these high-dollar contraptions.

-j
Happy to report that the keezer is finally plugged in and the $16 eBay single stage, 110V, display-in-F temp controller appears to be working. Temp controller said 71 when I plugged it in at midnight, and was down to 56 this morning when I left for work. (old craigslist 14.8 cu ft freezer, 1x6 collar, insulated, no fan yet, probe taped halfway down to a keg full of water with a towel over it.) I had expected it to cool more quickly, but it has 4 kegs full of water, 3 empty kegs, and still a good amount of empty space (I could fit 1 or 2 more kegs in there)... Hoping to be able to keg a dry irish stout and a best bitter tonight, and a Texas bock (Shiner Mock?) early next week (thus the 3 empty kegs) and get 'em carbonating. Hoping to be able to pour some pints for my 40th bday on Nov 10. Those of you with experience - does that sound reasonable?

Thanks for all the awesome info on these forums; I'll post pics to the "show us your kegerator" thread in a couple of weeks.

-jeff

Quick Reply