Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Fermenters > ebay aquarium temp controller build

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-25-2012, 08:18 PM   #2781
zachattack
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 249 Times on 213 Posts
Likes Given: 140

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwi View Post
There have been a few discussions in this thread about using the phono jacks. From memory, no one noticed any difference in temps, or had to account for any offsets due to the extra resistance of the jack/connections. Like you guys, I was a bit surprised as well.

I remember seeing a graph for what was supposed to be a similar probe (to use as spares), but don't recall the exact Ohm/C relationship. Is it really 0.004 Ohms/C in the normal usage range? I thought is was ~1 Ohms/C, and that is why the guys didn't experience any effects from the extra connections.

Either way, the unit has a calibration setting, so it is an easy fix if needed.
Ah, you're right. I was remembering wrong. It's a factor of .004 per degree C, not .004 ohms. So that's 0.4 percent change in resistance per degree C. If it's a 100 ohm RTD, that means you're looking at 0.4 ohms per degree. I'm guessing one of those jacks would add maybe half an ohm at the most, probably a lot less.

Sorry I didn't see the discussion above!

From JuanMoore's response I guess this is confirmed. It adds a tiny offset but not a big deal.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-25-2012, 08:40 PM   #2782
barrooze
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 112 Times on 94 Posts
Likes Given: 141

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuanMoore View Post
I added phono jacks to the single stage controllers similar to the STC-1000 that I use in my HERMS, and only had to adjust the temp calibration by 1°F. I then added another connection and doubled the wire length, which required me to adjust them by another 2°F, for a total change of 3°F.
Mind posting the make and model number for your single-stage? I'm curious if it's the same unit I have.

Thanks.
Kegged: Flanders Blonde, Saison (Belle Saison), Festbier (ECY15), BOSON Prime (Brett Oaked saiSON), Night Howl Pumpkin Ale Primary: None Souring: Sour Brown (ECY01), BOSON on Rhubarb On Deck: Pale ale, Ginger Beer On the Horizon: Epic Pale ale clone, Zombie Dust clone Updated: 2014/11/18
Untappd: barrooze

Old 06-25-2012, 08:56 PM   #2783
JuanMoore
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 3253 Times on 3153 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrooze View Post
Mind posting the make and model number for your single-stage? I'm curious if it's the same unit I have.

Thanks.
No model # that I'm aware of, but they're made by Wilhi, just like most of the STC-1000's appear to be. They're only single stage, and display in fahrenheit. Look like this-

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Digital-Temp...ht_3696wt_1396

Yuri rubs it out with 60 grit... wouldn't even feel a tenga egg. -Randar

, place entry ox dixla to suck. Fcxk fwnpoo and passed. Hel an my spupid ass. OK. - TXCrash

Old 06-25-2012, 09:05 PM   #2784
barrooze
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 112 Times on 94 Posts
Likes Given: 141

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuanMoore View Post
No model # that I'm aware of, but they're made by Wilhi, just like most of the STC-1000's appear to be. They're only single stage, and display in fahrenheit. Look like this-

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Digital-Temp...ht_3696wt_1396
Interesting... Mine looks like this:

but displays in C and has a model # (WH7016C):

Does yours have the same wiring as mine? Just curious. Thanks!
Kegged: Flanders Blonde, Saison (Belle Saison), Festbier (ECY15), BOSON Prime (Brett Oaked saiSON), Night Howl Pumpkin Ale Primary: None Souring: Sour Brown (ECY01), BOSON on Rhubarb On Deck: Pale ale, Ginger Beer On the Horizon: Epic Pale ale clone, Zombie Dust clone Updated: 2014/11/18
Untappd: barrooze

Old 06-25-2012, 09:41 PM   #2785
BetterSense
Recipes 

Liked 45 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 3

has anyone measured the resistance of the temperature probe, or figured out what type it is? I would like to try one of these controllers but I want to make a waterproof/food grade temp probe.

Old 06-25-2012, 09:59 PM   #2786
JuanMoore
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 3253 Times on 3153 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrooze
Yep, looks like the same wiring.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterSense
has anyone measured the resistance of the temperature probe, or figured out what type it is? I would like to try one of these controllers but I want to make a waterproof/food grade temp probe.
The specs for the probe are listed in the manual that comes with it, and can also be found online. I'm on my phone, but I'm sure someone can post specs for you. FWIW the probe that comes with the single stage units is SS, unlike the oval rubber blob that comes with the STC-1000.

Yuri rubs it out with 60 grit... wouldn't even feel a tenga egg. -Randar

, place entry ox dixla to suck. Fcxk fwnpoo and passed. Hel an my spupid ass. OK. - TXCrash

Old 06-25-2012, 10:24 PM   #2787
new2brew1221
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrooze

Interesting... Mine looks like this:

but displays in C and has a model # (WH7016C):

I have the same WILLHI controller that I am trying to wire up to a single receptacle, having one outlet for the keezer and the other outlet for a lamp

Old 06-25-2012, 10:46 PM   #2788
emjay
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1714 Times on 1602 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterSense
I bought a few SS probes last year for my STC-1000s, as I wasn't a fan of the rubber probe. I believe this is the exact one, which is even threaded: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Air-Water-Te...#ht_1628wt_689

What you want are 10K ohm NTC sensors (NTC = Negative Temperature Coefficient).

Old 06-26-2012, 03:21 AM   #2789
BetterSense
Recipes 

Liked 45 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 3

so really, it's a 10k thermistor, not a platinum element. Cheap, but good enough for a thermostat I guess.

Old 06-27-2012, 01:41 AM   #2790
new2brew1221
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I got my WILLHI temp controller wired in tonight, the outlet is not 1/2 always hot and 1/2 controlled by controller, but that's ok. The temp is set at 3° C right now, so I'll monitor it overnight to see how it does. A BIG THANK YOU goes out to everyone here on the boards for the advice and wiring help.

Quick Reply