Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!


Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Fermenters > ebay aquarium temp controller build
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-06-2011, 02:19 AM   #1391
mattd2
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Papamoa, New Zealand
Posts: 3,579
Liked 269 Times on 214 Posts
Likes Given: 46

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne1 View Post
Here is a look inside the 120 VAC temp controller
I do not have a 220V unit to compare. ere109, if you want to send me yours or come over with it, drop me a PM and I'll be happy to open it up and post some pictures.

I would hazard a guess that anyone who wants to change the 220 to 110 would have to change the transformer at a minimum.
So I have a limited knowledge of electronics but I would guess the issue is the transformer, I am guessing that the 220V do run on 110 because 4.5V (half of 9V) would probably be just enough to get the control circuit going but not enough to get the relays going, you could just change the relays but you control circuit would still be just surviving (and would probably cost more than replacing the transformer!)

http://www.futureelectronics.com/en/...GNETICS9579905 and at under $3 it seems worth it

this looks like the piece to buy and replace (pending confirmation upon opening of a 220v unit)

Eidt: stupid work getting in the way of reply on HBT , was that the first result on google for you too o4 SRT?
__________________
mattd2 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-06-2011, 02:24 AM   #1392
o4_srt
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Lancaster, PA
Posts: 1,330
Liked 14 Times on 14 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattd2

So I have a limited knowledge of electronics but I would guess the issue is the transformer, I am guessing that the 220V do run on 110 because 4.5V (half of 9V) would probably be just enough to get the control circuit going but not enough to get the relays going, you could just change the relays but you control circuit would still be just surviving (and would probably cost more than replacing the transformer!)

http://www.futureelectronics.com/en/...GNETICS9579905 and at under $3 it seems worth it

this looks like the piece to buy and replace (pending confirmation upon opening of a 220v unit)

Eidt: stupid work getting in the way of reply on HBT , was that the first result on google for you too o4 SRT?
Haha yep. I'm at work also, but jumped onto a pc to search for it, then posted using hbt mobile.
__________________
Facebite Brewing

Conditioning: Muddy Paw Nut Brown Ale, Jump The Fence Independence Cream Ale
o4_srt is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-06-2011, 03:13 AM   #1393
Chrisl77
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Jackson, New Jersey
Posts: 736
Liked 36 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

The transformer is the only diffrence. Amoy Magnetics BV302S10013-JY-A.

__________________
Chrisl77 is online now
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-06-2011, 03:22 AM   #1394
o4_srt
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Lancaster, PA
Posts: 1,330
Liked 14 Times on 14 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisl77
The transformer is the only diffrence. Amoy Magnetics BV302S10013-JY-A.
There you go. Swap the transformer and you're set.
__________________
Facebite Brewing

Conditioning: Muddy Paw Nut Brown Ale, Jump The Fence Independence Cream Ale
o4_srt is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-06-2011, 03:33 AM   #1395
Chrisl77
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Jackson, New Jersey
Posts: 736
Liked 36 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

One strange thing the relays have the same model number but i just noticed mine say 10A 277VAC and 15A 125 VAC. Now to see if i can find a place with that transformer in stock.

__________________
Chrisl77 is online now
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-06-2011, 03:39 AM   #1396
o4_srt
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Lancaster, PA
Posts: 1,330
Liked 14 Times on 14 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisl77
One strange thing the relays have the same model number but i just noticed mine say 10A 277VAC and 15A 125 VAC. Now to see if i can find a place with that transformer in stock.
There is a link several posts up the exact transformer used in the 110 model
__________________
Facebite Brewing

Conditioning: Muddy Paw Nut Brown Ale, Jump The Fence Independence Cream Ale
o4_srt is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-06-2011, 03:42 AM   #1397
Chrisl77
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Jackson, New Jersey
Posts: 736
Liked 36 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

ya i followed that its not in stock and they want $9 for the cheapest shipping.

__________________
Chrisl77 is online now
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-06-2011, 07:01 AM   #1398
ere109
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 202
Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Default

Wayne, thank you for taking the time to respond to this. I knew there would be a solution, and I really appreciate your attitude and efforts to help. I know I'm not the only one who has purchased the wrong one, so hopefully we can come up with a solution for everyone.
I pulled mine apart tonight. It's VERY easy - took all of five minutes. It's still the same STC-1000 model, but the transformer clearly says 220v. The switches have the same part number, but different amperages written on them. Strange. Aside from that, here are the specs:
220v AC 50/60hz
Relay capacity 10A/250vac

There are four solder points under the transformer, so desoldering four contact points should be something many members can do. So are we just looking at swapping out that transformer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne1 View Post
Here is a look inside the 120 VAC temp controller







I do not have a 220V unit to compare. ere109, if you want to send me yours or come over with it, drop me a PM and I'll be happy to open it up and post some pictures.

I would hazard a guess that anyone who wants to change the 220 to 110 would have to change the transformer at a minimum.
384.jpg   383.jpg  
__________________
ere109 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-06-2011, 07:29 AM   #1399
ere109
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 202
Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Default

By the way, I found the 110v transformer in stock at the link below - minimum $10 order, so we'd need to buy five at a time (it complicates things, but I'm sure there are people in various hub locations that could group up, or one person buy a large order and individually ship).

http://estore.heilind.com/search_octo.asp?p=BV301S09015

__________________
ere109 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-06-2011, 02:24 PM   #1400
Wayne1
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Wayne1's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Littleton, Colorado
Posts: 1,070
Liked 71 Times on 45 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ere109 View Post
By the way, I found the 110v transformer in stock at the link below - minimum $10 order, so we'd need to buy five at a time (it complicates things, but I'm sure there are people in various hub locations that could group up, or one person buy a large order and individually ship).

http://estore.heilind.com/search_octo.asp?p=BV301S09015
With shipping that breaks down to roughly $5.50 each, to Colorado. I am willing to order five transformers. I can install them in the circuit boards and ship them back. Shipping to and from CO will entail at least another $10.00 for USPS small package flat rate boxes.

So is it worth it for a minimum of $15.50 to get the transformer changed to work on 110V AC?

Or, are there five people in CO who have these units and want them changed to 110?
__________________
Brewstand Build

Original "Blue Moon" recipe

New Toys for Brewing
Wayne1 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply



Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
DIY temp controller build android Other 100 05-09-2013 02:14 PM
Control Fermentation temp with Aquarium Heater chemist308 General Techniques 20 12-15-2012 12:13 AM
question about "aquarium temperature controller" SamBrewer General Techniques 12 02-26-2011 07:30 PM
Attic Fan Temp Controller = Inexpensive Fermentation Controller???? Beernip General Techniques 5 06-16-2009 05:30 PM
Brutus Build Controller Box? gruversm Brew Stands 9 03-27-2009 04:54 AM



Newest Threads

LATEST SPONSOR DEALS