Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Fermenters > ebay aquarium temp controller build

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-17-2011, 06:27 PM   #1031
RonRock
Always Ready
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 2

This has probably been asked but, how do you set it so that the Heat and Cool cycle don't fight with each other? I set mine up, and it cycles between the two.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-17-2011, 07:23 PM   #1032
cwi
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonRock View Post
This has probably been asked but, how do you set it so that the Heat and Cool cycle don't fight with each other? I set mine up, and it cycles between the two.
I was wondering how much smarts they put into this as well. I haven't gone to the trouble to reverse engineer mine.
To fix your issue, putting the probe in a container of liquid, or attaching to one (like your fermentation vessel, or keg) should give enough thermal mass to avoid overshoot, unless your heating or cooling source has a tremendous amount of overshoot/thermal inertia.
If leaving the probe dangling in mid-air is how you roll, playing with the delay and temp tolerance parameters should minimize heat/cold battles. Your temperature variation will increase, though.
That being said, putting the probe in/on a container of liquid is a better solution. For a fermentation chamber, if the probe is placed on an active fermentation vessel, it will maintain ferm temps much closer to the ideal. For a kegerator/keezer, if the probe is place on a keg or in a jar of liquid, it will prevent unnecessary cycling from door openings and exterior temperature swings.

Old 03-17-2011, 07:37 PM   #1033
Walker
I use secondaries. :p

Recipes 

Liked 89 Times on 79 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Quote:
They shouldn't be fighting each other. There is a parameter that tells how many degrees you will allow the temp to drift from the set-point.

If your set temp is "X" and your allowed deviation is "Y":
- the heat kicks on when the measured temp is X-Y and stays on until the temp gets back up to X.
- The cooling will kick on when the temp rises to X+Y and will stay on until the temp gets back down to X.

Perhaps you just have "Y" set too small?

Old 03-17-2011, 07:48 PM   #1034
Hermit
Recipes 

Liked 67 Times on 57 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Mine is set to .3C differential. When cooling it will cool down to that temp and shut off and kick on again if the temp RISES .3C. When heating it will heat up to the set point and then kick off until if FALLS .3C below. That is a .6C total differential. Watch the temps and see if you are going past those points. What is your probe sensing? If it is just the air you are more prone to get them fighting each other I would think. A few gallons of liquid isn't going to move very rapidly.

Old 03-17-2011, 07:56 PM   #1035
RonRock
Always Ready
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Thanks guys. You are probably correct about the thermal mass slowing down the response time. I set the fermentation controller up the day before I brewed. The temp probe was simply hanging in air at the time. I noticed the Heat / Cool cycling so when I brewed I taped the sensor to the side of my conical. I also unplugged the cool side and all was OK. But as luck would have it we are having a few nice weather days now, so I will need to go between heat and cool. I'm stuck at work today, but tomorrow I'll plug in the cool and see what happens. Then take a look at the settings you suggest Walker.

Old 03-17-2011, 08:15 PM   #1036
Salmonhouse
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I believe that placing your probe in water/ beer is a bad idea unless you are actually heating the liquid via a water heater element or something of this nature. It will take a great deal of heat to bring the fluid up to temp if your using a radiator or fan heater, then it will continue to heat after it is shut off because now your air temp is much greater than the fluid, and vice versa for the cooler.

If you maintain the proper air temperature the fluid temp will follow. I have my probe against the side of my carboy and i dont have any cool mode kicking in because its colder outside than it is inside, but i'm not lagering.

I have the F2 function ie temp differential set to 1 degree. My target is 23C and it heats till it hits 23 shuts off the heater and in turn the temp starts to drop until it hits 22C then heats again to 23... If it was hotter ouside and i was using an airconditioner it would be the opposite.

Take me drunk, I'm home!

Old 03-17-2011, 08:18 PM   #1037
Cazamodo
Recipes 

Myfermentor sits in a water bath which is heated with an element. The probe just lays in the water, as in theory the liquid in the bath should match that in the fermentor

Old 03-17-2011, 08:26 PM   #1038
ChshreCat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 485 Times on 387 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Quote:
Thanks guys. You are probably correct about the thermal mass slowing down the response time. I set the fermentation controller up the day before I brewed. The temp probe was simply hanging in air at the time. I noticed the Heat / Cool cycling so when I brewed I taped the sensor to the side of my conical. I also unplugged the cool side and all was OK. But as luck would have it we are having a few nice weather days now, so I will need to go between heat and cool. I'm stuck at work today, but tomorrow I'll plug in the cool and see what happens. Then take a look at the settings you suggest Walker.
You might want to tape something over the probe as well to insulate it from the air and make sure it's reading the temp of your fermenter. Something as simple as a wash cloth folded over a couple times would suffice.

Old 03-17-2011, 08:29 PM   #1039
Hermit
Recipes 

Liked 67 Times on 57 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChshreCat View Post
You might want to tape something over the probe as well to insulate it from the air and make sure it's reading the temp of your fermenter. Something as simple as a wash cloth folded over a couple times would suffice.
I use a bit of foam from packaging filler.

Old 03-17-2011, 08:33 PM   #1040
Salmonhouse
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cazamodo View Post
Myfermentor sits in a water bath which is heated with an element. The probe just lays in the water, as in theory the liquid in the bath should match that in the fermentor
In this case it makes sense to have your probe in the water.

Take me drunk, I'm home!

Quick Reply