Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Fermenters > DIY Thermoelectric Temperature Control

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-16-2007, 05:12 AM   #1
Yuri_Rage
Gritty.
HBT_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 629 Times on 392 Posts
Likes Given: 57

Default DIY Thermoelectric Temperature Control

Dude and I have been talking about this for a while. I finally got around to giving it a try. Part of this was sparked by some of Dude's suggestions, and part of it was from a brainstorm I had when I caught a glance inside one of those travel coolers that runs on car cigarette lighter power. It turns out that they're nothing more than Peltier coolers, and they contain many of the parts required to adapt the same principle to a fermenter. Here are some pictures and further explanation:

Here you can see some of the inner workings. I sandwiched a second 40mm/113W Peltier device (eBay) between a 1/2" aluminum plate and the guts of the travel cooler. The devices work as heat pumps if you stack them on top of each other (with sufficient power and heat sink capability). The threaded aluminum bar is intended to extend inside the keg (like an aquarium cooler) and seals with an o-ring.

Here's another view with the threaded piece attached. You can see how one of the Peltier devices is sandwiched between the aluminum pieces. The other one is insulated with a foam square from the travel cooler.

Here's what it looks like inside the keg:

Here's a picture of my first test run. It's plugged into a 12VDC/6A power supply. The keg is a 7 gallon corny I welded up today. I'm monitoring the temperature with the digital thermometer on top. It'll probably be a few hours before I notice any temperature changes.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-16-2007, 06:01 AM   #2
Dude
Will work for beer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 55 Times on 45 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Sweet!!!!!!!

Up Next: Smoked Porter -- Pub Ale -- Watermelon Wheat
Planning:
Gone But Not Forgotten:

www.IronOrrBrewery.com

Old 04-16-2007, 05:54 PM   #4
Todd
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Yuri looks great, do you have any pictures of the components?

Also do you have any results yet?

I think I remember that if you reverse the current these will heat right? so can this be setup to heat and cool?

Old 04-16-2007, 06:13 PM   #5
Yuri_Rage
Gritty.
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

I'll take some more pictures the next time I dismantle the system.

Results so far are rather inconclusive. I think I need to insulate the keg - it only maintains a degree or two below room temperature. I'll get it sorted out and post more when I have the info.

You're correct, Todd - if you reverse the polarity, the unit will begin heating. My wiring is very simple so far, but I could include a polarity switching circuit if that becomes desirable.

I should take a picture of the power supply also - it's DIY as well (and somewhat laughable the way it looks at the moment). Just a 120V/12V@6A transformer, a big bridge rectifier, and a smoothing capacitor.

Old 04-16-2007, 07:29 PM   #6
Cheesefood
Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 22 Posts

OK, so I googled "Peltier Device" and found this gem:

http://raremonoshop.com/catalog/prod...id=34&osCsid=6

Past Winners: Caramel Cream Ale #1, Hoegaarden Clone, Boom-Boom Vanilla Ale, Lazy Monk Abbey Style, Amarillo Cream Ale. (AG),

Buy a shirt now!!! Please! Did I help you? Buya shirt!
Cool Shirts.

Old 04-16-2007, 07:29 PM   #7
Todd
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuri_Rage
I'll take some more pictures the next time I dismantle the system.

Results so far are rather inconclusive. I think I need to insulate the keg - it only maintains a degree or two below room temperature. I'll get it sorted out and post more when I have the info.

You're correct, Todd - if you reverse the polarity, the unit will begin heating. My wiring is very simple so far, but I could include a polarity switching circuit if that becomes desirable.

I should take a picture of the power supply also - it's DIY as well (and somewhat laughable the way it looks at the moment). Just a 120V/12V@6A transformer, a big bridge rectifier, and a smoothing capacitor.

I'd like more details as you go. I've looked at this some but not sure I really follow it that well.

Old 04-18-2007, 10:38 PM   #8
Grimsawyer
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Man... I can see some killer applications here. If insulated I wonder what the temperature change range would be. In a 100 degree garage could it keep a well insulated keg, or conical fermenter, at 65 degrees? or the flipside... reverse the polarity and keep it at 65 degrees when it's 35 degrees in the garage? If insulated properly you wouldn't have to rip apart a clunky BIG chest freezer to lager. You could do it on a shelf in the garage!!! Maybe use 2 of these units at the same time? Man, my beer closet only holds 4 carboys empty and 2 carboys now with 6 cases of beer... If I could ferment in the garage I could use that closet for a storage closet instead of an everything closet. It would DOUBLE my beer bottle/keg conditioning room!!!

"I feel sorry for people who don't drink. They wake up in the morning and that's as good as they're going to feel all day." -Dean Martin

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFlyingBeer
...no sense hauling empty carboys around when full ones take up just as much space. :)

Old 04-19-2007, 12:48 AM   #9
Yuri_Rage
Gritty.
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

So far the results are less than optimal - I don't think my heat sink is big enough to handle the power from the beefed up Peltier device(s). I've got a few BIG heat sinks in the mail that I think will make all the difference. More to come as I tweak this project.

Old 04-19-2007, 01:08 AM   #10
Brewmasters Warehouse
Sponsor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 

Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I used to use Pelts to cool my CPU chips when I was way into computer tweaking. You need a very large heat sink, and a big fan in order to disipate the heat effectively. Using a copper heat sink and water cooling I was able to keep my CPU around freezing by using one, and a CPU puts out a tremendous amount of heat. Should not be all that hard when your only dealing with room temps, and cooling.

Purchase a recipe with Brew Builder and save 10% off the recipe. Use discount code: BBBYO

Become a fan of BMW on Facebook.

Quick Reply