DIY Ferm Chamber vs Temp Control Fridge

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

json2001

Reaction score
Hey guys, well summer is already starting to get rolling here and I don't want to stop brewing just because I don't want to pay to air condition my entire house at fermentation temps.

I have a side by side freezer/fridge in my garage that has overflow from the main fridge, but I can easily clear it out for fermenting over the summer. Can I just plug that fridge into this temp controller and slip the probe into the door? I guess this could open up lagering to me as well?

My question: Will this hurt my fridge compressor in the long run switching it on and off externally like this? IE. Will I have any trouble plugging it back into the wall during the winter months to be a regular cold storage fridge? If so I might be looking to build a simple, cheap fermentation chamber.

Thanks a lot guys.

It shouldn't hurt it if you don't try to maintain wildly constant air temps in the fridge. A deadband of a couple of degrees should cycle your fridge pretty infrequently.

edit to add: Why bother unplugging it in the winter? Just set the controller back to fridge temps.

It shouldn't hurt it if you don't try to maintain wildly constant air temps in the fridge. A deadband of a couple of degrees should cycle your fridge pretty infrequently.

Thanks, yeah it says it drops it 4 degrees when it hits the target temp then shuts off. So its not spot on.

edit to add: Why bother unplugging it in the winter? Just set the controller back to fridge temps.

Well that's a great point :) Thanks a lot!

For some of us... finding a way to keep the fermenter warm in the winter is an issue. Even bringing it up to lagering temperature can be a challenge. I brew in my barn.

Latest posts

Back