Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Fermenters > DIY Bleeder Valve?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-23-2008, 05:36 AM   #1
slim chillingsworth
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default DIY Bleeder Valve?

this looks do-able, but i really don't know what parts would be needed.

"I don't understand why everybody is focusing only on details. It is impossible to produce a good beer with details."
Jean-Marie Rock, head brewer at Orval

SERIOUS BUSINESS BREWERY
---serious -mod edit- business---

my commercial beer notes garret oliver on beer and foodjosh oakes on beer and food

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-23-2008, 05:47 AM   #2
Bokonon
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Aside from the gauge and the quick disconnect, I think all the parts can be picked up at home depot. I've been thinking about putting one together, if I ever get around to it I'll post a parts list here (or even better maybe someone else already has)

Old 04-23-2008, 05:53 AM   #3
slim chillingsworth
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bokonon
Aside from the gauge and the quick disconnect, I think all the parts can be picked up at home depot. I've been thinking about putting one together, if I ever get around to it I'll post a parts list here (or even better maybe someone else already has)

i was there today, there are gauges that look like they will work. i'm just not sure about those connections between the disconnect and the T.

"I don't understand why everybody is focusing only on details. It is impossible to produce a good beer with details."

SERIOUS BUSINESS BREWERY

my commercial beer notes garret oliver on beer and foodjosh oakes on beer and food

Old 04-23-2008, 12:58 PM   #4
jrpark22000
Recipes 

I've got one built. http://www.thefatmanbrewery.com/10.html photo #7. It does not take much, all parts are aviable from ACE or Lowes.

Old 04-23-2008, 03:37 PM   #5
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1043 Times on 697 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Those are flare fittings with what looks to me like a 1" long piece of 1/4" copper tubing that has been flared at both ends. Nothing says you couldn't just use a barbed disconnect, a short piece of hose, then to a barb threaded into the Tee.

Chugger Pumps, Pump Kits, Camlocks, Sightglasses, Clear USA made Silicone Tubing, RIMS, Electric Install Parts, etc. Did you know we are also now a full service homebrew shop selling malt, hops, yeast (Wyeast), etc?

Old 04-23-2008, 04:04 PM   #6
RegionalChaos
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Is the end valve being opened by hand to lower the pressure? Or is it automatically venting when reaching a certain pressure?

Planned House Ales: an Amber, an IPA, a dark IPA, a Mango Ale, a blueberry oatmeal stout, a dry Irish stout, a honey wheat, Apfelwien

What kind of R-Value does your ferm chamber need? - http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/what...hamber-190459/

Old 04-23-2008, 04:51 PM   #7
slim chillingsworth
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrpark22000
I've got one built. http://www.thefatmanbrewery.com/10.html photo #7. It does not take much, all parts are aviable from ACE or Lowes.

do you by chance have a parts list?

thanks for the great responses everyone. just moving into kegging, i've found this piece of equipment to be seemingly essential for force carbonating. are other people using this or something similar like a rotameter, or just guessing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby_M
Nothing says you couldn't just use a barbed disconnect, a short piece of hose, then to a barb threaded into the Tee.
what about going straight from the disconnect to the T? this was my original thought.

SERIOUS BUSINESS BREWERY

Old 04-23-2008, 05:45 PM   #8
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1043 Times on 697 Posts
Likes Given: 28

No good. The threads on the disconnect are for a flare nut. The threads on the Tee would be NPT. I have seen a flare to flare coupling though. You'd thread an NPT to flare fitting into the Tee and then use the flare coupling between them.

Mcmaster sells adjustable pressure relief valves but many of them are really pricy. I think I saw one under $20 though I'm too lazy to look again. You'd be looking at this as a spunding valve... search for Wortmonger's pressurized fermenting thread.

This is really only useful if you naturally prime your kegs or if you want to dial a pressure in away from your kegger. You can do the same thing in the kegger by venting the keg almost flat, setting your new desired pressure on the regulator, then reconnect the connector.

Chugger Pumps, Pump Kits, Camlocks, Sightglasses, Clear USA made Silicone Tubing, RIMS, Electric Install Parts, etc. Did you know we are also now a full service homebrew shop selling malt, hops, yeast (Wyeast), etc?

Old 04-23-2008, 08:30 PM   #9
MrFebtober
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I'm all for DIY, but northern brewer sells that whole assembly for $25. I'm not sure I could buy all those parts locally for much less than that.

Primary 1: Oktoberfest Lager
Primary 2: Apricot Wit
Primary 3: Christmas Warmer MkII
Primary 4: Apfelwein
Bottle conditioning: Vanilla Caramel Creme Ale
Bottle conditioning: Brain Spawn Saison
Bottle conditioning: Hot Shot Rye Red
On Tap 1: Barletariot Cream Ale
On Tap 2: Apfelwein

Old 04-23-2008, 09:12 PM   #10
slim chillingsworth
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby_M
This is really only useful if you naturally prime your kegs or if you want to dial a pressure in away from your kegger. You can do the same thing in the kegger by venting the keg almost flat, setting your new desired pressure on the regulator, then reconnect the connector.
i was looking at it in the context of force carbonating as explained here:

http://www.brewboard.com/index.php?showtopic=42329

Quote:
5 Minute Carbonation - If you're in a hurry, you can carbonate your beer within 5 minutes (however, I'd suggest leaving it overnight at a minimum after doing so). The easiest way I've found to do this is to obtain a bleeder valve like the one shown in the first picture below. The bleeder valve will let you know what the pressure in the keg is....very helpful as you'll see in a minute....

After shaking vigorously for 30-40 seconds, I attach the bleeder valve to the "IN" post to see where the pressure has equalized.

SERIOUS BUSINESS BREWERY

Quick Reply