Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Fermenters > Converting a Sanke Keg to Fermenter Questions

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-04-2009, 03:12 PM   #1
hayabusa
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Converting a Sanke Keg to Fermenter Questions

This weekend I am converting a sanke into a fermenter. I am going to cut the top fairly wide, use a flat gasket of some sort and a plexiglass lid w/ an o-ring and a brace across the top (of the keg) w/ a eye bolt to apply the pressure to the lid to create my seal. (or a steel lid.... undecided yet)

The bottom will have a SS coupler welded in so I can put a 1/2" SS valve on the outside and a bent racking arm on the inside. I may also have a weldless thermometer in the middle somewhere

My quesitons are

1) What do some of you recommended the height of the coupler to be from the bottom to ensure that I can get the most beer w/ the least amount of trub/yeast/hops? My arm will extend to the middle of the ked and have a 90 degree bend up to stay above the crud and whatever is left I can manually siphon off or use for gravity readings. I am not overly concerned with harvesting yeast at this point.

2) What is recommended for the racking arm? I was thinking stainless brake line from AutoZone but I am not sure they have stainless compression fittings and my goal is to use parts available locally. Everyone keep's saying Brass will leech lead into the brew/

3) I also think it can double for a boil kettle assuming i get about 4 of these completed and put them in "rotation" - any harm in doing that (none I can think of)

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-04-2009, 03:55 PM   #2
hammer one

Recipes 

I'm planing on doing the same thing. but instead of welding a coupling in I'm going to use a weldless fitting so I can remove it for thorough cleaning.No where for nasties to hide. you can hook up a compression fitting on the inside and a rotating racking arm. All stainless steel for me.

Old 02-04-2009, 04:37 PM   #3
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1042 Times on 696 Posts
Likes Given: 28

The biggest challenge with using the BK as an "in place" fermenter that I can tell is temp control. If you're in an area where your brewspace is a constant 65F, you're golden. I know that's how I would do it.

Old 02-04-2009, 08:52 PM   #4
hayabusa
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby_M View Post
The biggest challenge with using the BK as an "in place" fermenter that I can tell is temp control. If you're in an area where your brewspace is a constant 65F, you're golden. I know that's how I would do it.
I'm not going to use the same one for a BK and a fermenter; I am making several of these and they are all dual-purpose; just makes more sense to me to have 1 vessle that can act as either... Porbably wasn't clear on that. I would boil in one, transfer to the other.... if the vessles can be identical it just makes life all that much easier.

Old 02-04-2009, 09:20 PM   #5
jonp9576
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

very interested in this. i was thinking about doing this too. do you have any pictures yet?

On Tap:warrior apa
On Tap: crystal light
On Tap:BM's centenial blonde
"Just remember that the real enemy here are those wine drinking pussies."-BierMuncher

Old 02-04-2009, 09:24 PM   #6
hayabusa
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonp9576 View Post
very interested in this. i was thinking about doing this too. do you have any pictures yet?
nope - I am going to get started on it in the next few days and I will be sure to post some pictures.

My goal is 4 or 5 simple identical vessles that can be used for either purpose; I will make a few steel lids, and a few plexiglass lids which are interchangable and the plexi lids will likely also have a gas IN fitting so I can pressure transfer from kettle to fermenter and from fermenter to keg...

Old 02-04-2009, 09:28 PM   #7
jonp9576
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

nice, good idea. i'll be looking foreward to the pictures so i can steal your ideas

On Tap:warrior apa
On Tap: crystal light
On Tap:BM's centenial blonde
"Just remember that the real enemy here are those wine drinking pussies."-BierMuncher

Old 02-04-2009, 09:37 PM   #8
McKBrew

Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 8