Which controller should I buy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TimWeber

Reaction score
Now that my fermentaion chamber is done, I've started work on my pilot system. I am slowly gathering parts to make an electric RIMS and I am trying to decide which controller to purchase.

I've considered multiple ON-Off and PID controllers, but eventually I want this system to operate almost completly autonomously. Seems I should make the investment now in the correct controller. Side note, I am a mechanical engineer and am not a wiz at PCBs, or circuits.

The two options I am considering at the moment are the BCS-460, and the Unitronics vision350 (used on brew-magic).

I was wondering if anyone had any insight or suggestions on these two controllers, or maybe a different type.

Thanks.

I have an existing Brewery that I am in the midst of automating. You can look in my gallery for a picture of it if you wish. I have just gotten started building the control panel which will house the controller and I/O. I have decided to base the automation on the Brewtroller which is based on the Anduino/Sanguino Micro-Computer. I chose the Brewtroller because it has three PID functions, control for 11 pumps/valves, 4 temperature inputs utilizing the DS18B20 temperature sensor and 3 inputs for the Motorola MPXM2010GS pressure sensor for volume measurement. I have started to document the build in this thread: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/i-cant-leave-well-enough-alone-149206/ There are a few process control experts here and I am sure they will help if you need it. Best of luck with the build.

I went with the BCS and am happy with it. I like the ability to having everything on my computer screen instead of those tiny LED readouts. The BCS just released expansion boards so you can control more functions than you can dream up.

I am definitely looking at the WOW factor too. Having a screen with dial, guages, diagrams is very cool. That why I was looking at the Unitronics PLC, it's the same one the Brew-Magic uses.

I need to read more on the BSC and the Brewtroller though. Seems like I could just add a flat panel screen to my system. Do either of them support touchscreens?

Brewtroller has a windows based program that you can use to control it through a USB and for the price I love it. I haven't hooked it up to my brewery yet it is a work in progress but from just playing with the functions thus far it is the best bang for the buck.
My .02 =)

So what does the interface look like when you control it via computer? The site mentions that it can be done, but doesn't show what it looks like. I think the BCS-460 has a pretty nice GUI....very important when talking about remote access, etc.

Back