Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Fermenters > Chiller Idea!! Please Comment

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-14-2010, 01:28 AM   #1
hbhudy
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default Chiller Idea!! Please Comment

I have seen numerous fermentation chiller boxes (Pink Foam), and I am desperate need of a project soooo...
My project idea is to create 2 fermentation chiller boxes that would have the "COLD" supplied by a loop system that would pump cold fluid (water or glycol) through some radiators from a cooler packed with ice & fluid..

I have seen projects where people tap into a freezer for the cold, but I would look to use a super insulated cooler simply due to the fact this is what I have available, and I want to leverage this in the winter to add heat if needed..

Any thoughts/suggestions.. Also note that I am lazy and the thought of changing the ice packs in each chiller box makes me hope this works..

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-14-2010, 01:36 AM   #2
ILOVEBEER
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Why not just get a chest freezer....build a 2 stage control box....allow the chest freezer to chill and add a small space heater for the heating in the winter....what you are talking about seems like alot of HIGH maintenance work.....and since you are lazy (you said it not me ) it might alleviate all the extra work.

Just my opinion though....good luck.

Old 07-14-2010, 01:51 AM   #3
hbhudy
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 4 Posts

I am lazy, but I love projects..
I can not swing purchaing a freezer chest just to turn it into a fermentation chamber, unless I want to sleep in the chest as well (Boss Lady would make life outside of garage {doghouse} rough).. I have most of the materials so the cost should not be extremely high.. I HOPE..
The other issue is space.. I can build the system vertically with the cooler at the top and the fermentation chambers below it, and just large enough for my fermentors. I am think t will be about 3ft wide by about 7ft tall (or a little taller).

I like the idea of the fermentation chambers, but I am so busy I now I will wait to long to add additional ice and miss out on the value of temp control. I am thinking my extra cube cooler with ice and glycol will be able to last at least a few days (no serious math has gone into this calcluation).

Old 07-14-2010, 02:21 AM   #4
mattd2
Recipes 

Liked 269 Times on 214 Posts
Likes Given: 46

Don't underestimate all the "extras" you will need. From what I hear you guys can pick up a fridge or freezer pretty cheap ($0 - $100) + a $20 ebay temp controller and a bit or wiring and you have a stand alone fermentation chamber that you can set and forget. If you want a project maybe look into splicing the temp controller into the original thermostat to get a cleaner result. Just my $0.02 though

Old 07-14-2010, 02:41 AM   #5
hbhudy
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 4 Posts

OK I get it.. I may be going for the ultimate money pit issue..

Why doesn't everyone simply do a freezer vs the fermentation chamber?

Also is this project just a stupid idea or just not something you believe is practical??

Old 07-14-2010, 02:56 AM   #6
OEHokie
Recipes 

I can't imagine it'd be that efficient. And you'd have to continually pack it with ice (and drain the melted ice) somewhere. You'd also need a pump to continuously operate. A freezer/fridge would be a much better option IMO.

Primary:
Secondary:
On Tap: Pumpkin Ale, Porter
Previous Kegged: Imperial Brown, Smoked Porter, IPA (x3), Coffee Stout (x2), Octoberfest (x2), American Honey Ale (x2)

Sub Brewery (old, going to start a new thread with the 3rd revision): http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/sing...atches-185796/

Old 07-14-2010, 03:03 AM   #7
hbhudy
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 4 Posts

sorry for not being clear. I planned on having 3 bildge pumps running to 2 seperate fermentation chambers with PC fans over the radiators in the fermentation chambers to move the air. Each would have a chamber would have a temp control (from HD or Lowes) to run the 12v cycle on once temp was to hot (or cold in winter). If I can convince the boss this works then an fridge in garage to augment the cooler will be next.
I have seen a similat setup to a cabinet, but not to seperate fermentation chambers.

Thoughts?

Old 07-14-2010, 03:39 AM   #8
mattd2
Recipes 

Liked 269 Times on 214 Posts
Likes Given: 46

Seems like a fair enough idea, I did pick up on the 2 chambers you wanted I guess so you could get 2 different temperatures. What sort of temperature are you looking to get in the boxes, and your ambient temp? As I don't know how pratical it would be to lager in the fermentation chambers.

Old 07-14-2010, 04:14 AM   #9
buzzkill
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 15

search for " Son of Fermentation chamber "

Old 07-14-2010, 06:23 AM   #10
ILOVEBEER
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

sorry for not being clear. I planned on having 3 bildge pumps running to 2 seperate fermentation chambers with PC fans over the radiators in the fermentation chambers to move the air"

Seems like a nice idea, but a whole hell of alot of work

Quick Reply